Honda F1 in trouble, and withdraw from F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Rob W

Re: Honda F1 in trouble, and withdraw from F1

Who wants to bet Nigel Stepney wont be an advisor to the team?

They have plenty of history... I wouldn't be surprised at all.

xpensive
xpensive

Tread carefully now Rob, Mercedes engine and all... :lol:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Conceptual
Conceptual

So, does that mean that Ferrari had to get the OK from STR to supply to Force India last year? Since an engine supplier can only supply 2 teams?

I don't remember this being an issue then, and for Mallyia to be like "Oh, I could have stopped them, but since I'm such a nice guy, I didn't..." When he has effectively restructured his team to get rid of the people that can actually design/build a car just to buy a McLaren Mercedes clone.

That makes you such the big man VJ, I cannot wait to see your face at the end of another failure year... Even with all of your machinations and work arounds.

VJ seems like the "shortcut" type in F1, and that doesn't really gain my respect whatsoever...

I guess I need to reconsider what F1 means to me, because apparently to people like VJM, it is only about money, and success through belt tightening and shelf bought items.

I sincerely hope that the Honda car is fast enough to STOMP the FIF1-Mercedes team. Since his "kindness" in allowing Honda to use Merc power was ONLY because he doesn't want his team finishing dead last all season again...

xpensive
xpensive

Are everybody convinced there will be Button and Barrichello in those cars? Any eating-related bets perhaps?

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Conceptual, I believe that the rule is for supply of other teams besides yourself.

So Ferrari supplies themselves (which doesn't count), but can only supply two more teams outside of that.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Sawtooth-spike

mx_tifosi wrote:Conceptual, I believe that the rule is for supply of other teams besides yourself.

So Ferrari supplies themselves (which doesn't count), but can only supply two more teams outside of that.
i think its does include themself. Teams can only supply and extra team with the ok of the other team. That was my understand of the statement. Ether way its not like FI can say no, as they want McLaren Mercedes on there side.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

modbaraban
modbaraban

I guess it's about 2 customers.

freedom_honda

That is how i sees it as well. Since Mercedes is supply McLaren and Force India, Honda (or whatever you want to call it) is count as their THIRD customer. But on the other hand Scuderia Ferrari F1 makes their own engine, therefore Ferrari doesn't count as a customer.

shir0

mx_tifosi wrote: <snip>...I believe that the rule is for supply of other teams besides yourself.

I think Sawtooth-spike is correct on this one...
Article 13.3, 2009 F1 Sporting Code wrote:A major car manufacturer may not
directly or indirectly supply engines for more than two teams of two cars each without the consent of the FIA. For the purposes of this Article 13.3, a major car manufacturer is a company whose shares are quoted on a recognised stock exchange or the subsidiary of such a company.
The rules says "...may not directly or indirectly supply engines for more than two teams of two cars each...". The same rule doesn't say "for more than two customer teams...". Also, if you think about it, a major car manufacturer's own works team (like Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro) is still a team of two cars therefore it counts as one of the two teams allowed by the FIA to be supplied by them.

So consent for a major car manufacturer to supply a third team of two cars can only be given by the FIA and not the customer team. In the case of McLaren/FIF1/Honda(Brawn)...it may be just that there is a clause in the FIF1/Mercedes engine supply contract that says Mercedes has to seek FIF1's permission (subsequent to the FIA's) to supply another (third) team with the same formula 1 engine.
"Fortunately I've got a bag with dry ice in [my suit], which I put next to my balls, so at least they stay nice and cool!"- Sebastian Vettel, 2009 Malaysian GP Friday Practice.

xpensive
xpensive

For shir0: Most interesting that, applies only to "manufacturers", why Cosworth could supply the entire field?

As for any consent given by whom, I doubt that Norbert Haug would put himself in a position having someone like Vijay Mallya to tell him what he can and cannot do.

However, Mallya don't seem to mind the chance of appearing like a man of influence for a minute or two?

Metar

Cosworth fall under the spec-engine proposition - by the time they start with that, I assume the two-teams-supply rule will disappear anyway...

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

New un-named teams car will test next week, with a posible Shakedown of the new car at Silverstone on Friday.

Sources:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 911490.stm
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 01,00.html

The new is unvailed tomorrow??? and will ther be pics of the new car tomorrow???

Can someone answer those questions???

BorisTheBlade

I don't know where you're situated at, but if your tomorrow is my Friday ( ;) ), then maybe we get a first shot of a lucky photographer. But I wouldn't rely on it, since they are very unlikely to "present" their car to the public.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

I thought they were going to present the new colours/sponsors and have a press confrence or something, with the driver line up being present with the new car as well. Thats the illusion that i was under.

xpensive
xpensive

For Metar;
Yes I am aware that Cosworth could in theory become the F1 spec-engine, but as we have not seen that happen yet (or do you like so many others here know something I don't?), they would in the mean time be free to supply engines to whomever they want?