2013 Testing - Jerez 5-8 Feb

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Richard
Richard

Re: 2013 Testing - Jerez 5-8 Feb

Depends on what they are testing. A car on low fuel running constant speed aero tests will be very easy on its tyres and post very consistent times.

We'll learn more when they do long run race simulations in Barcelona.

Mika1
Mika1

I don't think LH was on low fuel today, 1:25-1:27 isn't that fast.
The boss follows me on twitter.

zonk
zonk

Ferraripilot wrote:I have to hand it to Mercedes, the car is handling its tires very well by the look of things.

Is it just me or is the Mclaren looking a bit hard on tires today?

Red Bull looks great of course.
are you at the track to tell that?

Ferraripilot

zonk wrote:
are you at the track to tell that?

judging by the lap times are their consistency, somewhat educated guess at best. However, I can compare them to last years and specifically note W03 being very harsh on tires during testing whereas W04 is not so much.

Rikhart
Rikhart

Last year the mercedes looked great after testing, and even the ferrari race sims were being applauded. We all saw how that turned at the start of the season... These times mean nothing, especially at this track. Maybe at the final test we might see a glimpse of things.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

TOTAL COMPLETED LAPS
Here are the unofficial completed total laps per team.

1 Sauber 430

2 Red Bull 372

3 Force India 357

4 Williams 332

5 Toro Rosso 330

6 Mercedes 319

7 Caterham 318

8 McLaren 298

9 Ferrari 277

10 Lotus 271

11 Marussia 219
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21379230

Mercedes did well to get back in to it after the first two days. Surprised Ferrari did so few laps although their problem this morning is probably a big cause of that.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zoro_f1

Results from friday:

Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

Th0R
Th0R

You have to remember that not only the cars have changed since last year, but also the tyres (and the track conditions...). I think a comparison between this years test and last years test is even harder than to compare this years cars.
These test days were mainly for basic system checks and sorting out the last major problems
(ferrari gearbox, mercedes hydraulics, mclaren / merc(?) pump and so on.

Today sauber did almost a race simulation, but there is nothing to compare to because no other team did anything similar.
I think we have to wait some more weeks, till we really know which car is good (probably we have to wait till after the first few races) .

I personally like the car concept of sauber most, because it differs this much frm the other cars.

Forza

Pirelli wrote:Fastest today was Raikkonen, on the P Zero yellow soft tyre. Bianchi in second was also on the soft, Vettel in third on the hard tyre.

stefan_
stefan_

Jerez is mainly about shaking down the car, making sure things are reliable and working as they are supposed to work and that there are no big or fundamental problems with the cars or with the concept that those cars were built on. Barcelona will be more relevant in terms of tires, setup and things like that as it is a proper race track that is actually used during the season.

In my oppinion it is better that Mercedes had those problems in the first two days. It is probably the best case scenario in finding stuff that is harder to deal with or that needs a more complicated procedure to resolve.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

fritticaldi

Although Raikkonen did not beat the best time of Massa yesterday , the real performance is Vettel's with 1'18'5 on hard tyres. The Red Bull also showed discerning reliability.
Can't hardly wait to see the performance of the Red Bull in the upcoming test in Barcelona. It's also a miracle the Red Bull attended the Jerez tests as they were behind schedule.

Rikhart
Rikhart

fritticaldi wrote:Although Raikkonen did not beat the best time of Massa yesterday , the real performance is Vettel's with 1'18'5 on hard tyres. The Red Bull also showed discerning reliability.
Can't hardly wait to see the performance of the Red Bull in the upcoming test in Barcelona. It's also a miracle the Red Bull attended the Jerez tests as they were behind schedule.
Yes that time was a bit of an eye opener on the hards, which are supposed to be a full second slower than the softs (its half a second for each compound). My jaw dropped when I read they had done it on the hards, really.

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

I want to talk to you about the following aspects:
And what do you think about Mclaren's lap times?
Should we be afraid about 1:17:8 of Felippe Massa?
I have read a rumour that Button's time of 1:18:8 o hard tyres was after he cut a chicane. Later I read that it was a joke?

And the most import: On SkySports I read that Checo's time today was on hard tyre. On f1today I read that it was on medium tyres. So 1:18:9 was on hard or on medium tyres?

Thanks

Red Schneider
Red Schneider

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/02/i ... sing-well/

An interesting if somewhat cursory article for those of us unfamiliar with flow viz.

Neno
Neno

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

mclaren_mircea wrote: I want to talk to you about the following aspects:
And what do you think about Mclaren's lap times?
Should we be afraid about 1:17:8 of Felippe Massa?
I have read a rumour that Button's time of 1:18:8 o hard tyres was after he cut a chicane. Later I read that it was a joke?

And the most import: On SkySports I read that Checo's time today was on hard tyre. On f1today I read that it was on medium tyres. So 1:18:9 was on hard or on medium tyres?

Thanks
Massa time is nothing to be afraid, it was fast lap, but what I am more concerned was 1:18:5 by Vettel on hards, if every component of tires bring 0.5 sec, this men Vettel could easly drive 1:17:5. And that is time for be a little bit afraid specialy when this are first test and teams getting to understand their cars.

For Mclaren times, i am really suprised with Button time because he made 1:18:8 first day test on hard tires. You need to take in concern that track didnt have any grip so it was superb time on that conditions.
So for me, Mclaren and Red Bull are definitly first and top cars this season. I wouldnt be suprised if they will be on pole without sweat in Australia, under this mean Button and Vettel. Perez need more time to learn everything, but sure he will be fast.