2017 Malaysia Grand Prix - Sepang, 29 September-01 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ripper
ripper

Re: 2017 Malaysia Grand Prix - Sepang, 29 September-01 October

From this perspective I think that Stroll wasn't paying attention and turned right too much and maybe Vettel too much to the left for a cooldown lap. I don't think he deserves a penalty anyway... I just hope that gearbox is fine

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

LionKing wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:12
Diesel wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:10
LionKing wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:01

Stroll hit Vettel, not the other way around. Vettel was a half a car in front when Stroll hit him. Stroll just did not turn left in a left hand corner.
It's not under racing conditions, so overtaking rules don't apply. Cars always go off the racing line on the cool down, there's no need to close someone down that fast and close the door. It was just silly.
Just look at the video Silent Storm put up. You don't get it do you?
Maybe Stroll was watching that car on the inside. I don't care, if you want to get aggressive about it go for it. I'm finished talking about it now.

I suspect what we could see is a new rule where overtaking is banned after the checkered flag.

FrukostScones

race over, brains out. both of them, STR a bit more.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Mandrake wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 10:49
This season all the stars have aligned for Hamilton... Another race he should have finished 5th on pace but instead extended his championship lead.

I don't really see how this can change with all the bad luck Ferrari strikes....
I don't think Hamilton was really lucky this season he lost points where he shouldn't (Baku really unlucky), and on some race his Merc was so much off the pace that even the RB finish ahead of him (Monaco, Sotchi...), while Vettel hasn't lost many points when he was off the pace (Monza, Baku) or starting from the back (Canada).

PlatinumZealot

Juzh wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 10:51
SectorOne wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 10:47

Did he really got rekt?
He did actually.
Uhm... The BOSS walked away with 6 points on vettel when he should have lost 15!! Not sure what u mean. U have to explain that one to us!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

From that view Str does seem to be going right. As Vet said probably to do the same pickup him.
Str should be looking but I don't for one second think he expected Vet to be that desperate to get to the marbles first.

What did make my ears prick up was when Vettel said after being asked about the gearbox 'Well we will see what we can do as it wasn't my fault'.
What the hell does that mean? It's either an out of sequence gearbox change or it isn't, surely.

NathanOlder

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:16
Juzh wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 10:51
SectorOne wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 10:47

Did he really got rekt?
He did actually.
Uhm... The BOSS walked away with 6 points on vettel when he should have lost 15!! Not sure what u mean. U have to explain that one to us!
+1 please do
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Phil

SectorOne wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:08
Phil wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:05
I think the worrying aspect is how quick that Ferrari is and how bad the Mercedes is when it fails to hit its operating window....
I think if it continues in Japan Mercedes should start to worry. If Mercedes works the tires better in Japan (also with harder compounds? and cooler conditions) then i don´t think Mercedes has anything to worry about.
True. Though after 95% in this forum were declaring this an easy Mercedes track, i am somewhat careful about the predictions some are inclined to make about the upcoming tracks.

The trend is quite clear to me at least: Mercedes brilliant when they get it right - when they dont, they struggle big time. Contrary, Ferrari have shown to be strong on all tracks so far. RedBull on the other hand has become very quick too. This will make the rest of the season very interesting if you ask me. 34 points lead put Hamilton at a favorite, but things could shift quickly if both Vettel and RedBull continue with strong performances and can put themselves ahead of Mercedes.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

NathanOlder

Restomaniac wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:17
From that view Str does seem to be going right. As Vet said probably to do the same pickup him.
Str should be looking but I don't for one second think he expected Vet to be that desperate to get to the marbles first.

What did make my ears prick up was when Vettel said after being asked about the gearbox 'Well we will see what we can do as it wasn't my fault'.
What the hell does that mean? It's either an out of sequence gearbox change or it isn't, surely.
Not when the FIA seem to be on your side
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:19
Restomaniac wrote:

IF (capitals because they cannot be that stupid) they pulled that trick then they surely know kind of Pandora's box they are opening.

ripper
ripper

Marc Genè said that Suzuka should be more a Mercedes track during Italian SKY race commentary

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Phil wrote:

True. Though after 95% in this forum were declaring this an easy Mercedes track, i am somewhat careful about the predictions some are inclined to make about the upcoming tracks.

The trend is quite clear to me at least: Mercedes brilliant when they get it right - when they dont, they struggle big time. Contrary, Ferrari have shown to be strong on all tracks so far. RedBull on the other hand has become very quick too. This will make the rest of the season very interesting if you ask me. 34 points lead put Hamilton at a favorite, but things could shift quickly if both Vettel and RedBull continue with strong performances and can put themselves ahead of Mercedes.
By your statical theory, this result has swung it even more in Merc's favor as they've outperformed on one of their weak tracks. They now have fewer races where they'll be weak compared to Ferrari and they've extended their lead.

In the last 2 races Ferrari should have easily scored 1-2 results, but they haven't. Ferrari is throwing this championship away.

NathanOlder

Restomaniac wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:21
NathanOlder wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:

IF (capitals because they cannot be that stupid) they pulled that trick then they surely know kind of Pandora's box they are opening.
Very true. Just with the leniency shown towards Ferrari and Vettel this year, it doesn't help the whole Ferrari International Assistance thing
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Jester Maroc
Jester Maroc

I was not able to watch the race... Anybody have onboards from both Vettel and Stroll. From the single twitter video it appears like Vettel is more to blame than Stroll.

The Malaysia track is super wide and Stroll does not have much more than a single car width between himself and the apex.

That means that Vettel has acres of space on the right. Also, it does appear that they are almost side-by-side (before Vettel accelerates)?

Would love to see more angles to make up my mind...
Last edited by Jester Maroc on 01 Oct 2017, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Jester Maroc
Jester Maroc

I also want to mention that Ham and Merc must love "getting rekt" as it moves them closer to winning the championship in slower machinery. Getting rekt is great for them!
Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.