McLaren MCL32 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
harjan
harjan

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

How much of the rigidity comes from the floor? In other words; if the floor isn't offering enough rigidity, could this in turn place more torsion etc on the PU/drivetrain structure? Or would it work the other way around- the PU is flexing and causes this to twist the floor?

ema00
ema00

another engine failure?

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

harjan wrote:How much of the rigidity comes from the floor? In other words; if the floor isn't offering enough rigidity, could this in turn place more torsion etc on the PU/drivetrain structure? Or would it work the other way around- the PU is flexing and causes this to twist the floor?
I would have thought very little, most of the rigidity would come from the monocoque and drivetrain.

Goran2812
Goran2812

Car looked a bit better towards the end of the morning session. He took turn 1 with more speed and agression I did not see any twiching or problems...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

BosF1
BosF1

Nice pics!

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Amazing how that flow is going down just in front of the sidepod opening. :wtf:

BosF1
BosF1

The second picture shows the extra inlet inside the intake very well.

mclaren111

What is that "bulge" underneath the sidepod inlet behind the bargeboard on the floor ??

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

BosF1
BosF1

All flow coming from the front suspension is directed downwards. It think it's directed to go towards the undercut of the sidepod, although the green flow viz didn't reach that far (or at least not that we can see).

Vanja #66

Jef Patat wrote:Amazing how that flow is going down just in front of the sidepod opening. :wtf:
What else would you expect to happen in front of a high pressure area such as sidepod intake? :D It's a lovely shot, showing even both stagnation points (top and bottom) and also that bottom one could be even a bit more inside the intake at full speed.
BosF1 wrote:All flow coming from the front suspension is directed downwards. It think it's directed to go towards the undercut of the sidepod, although the green flow viz didn't reach that far (or at least not that we can see).
Towards the undercut and (under) the floor as well. All top teams are doing it (probably others as well), using wishbone pick-up points, various canards, winglets and what not...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

I wasn't expecting all flow below the upper stagnation point to go downwards, I would have expected a bigger part of it to go upwards.

PhillipM
PhillipM

The bargeboards help that as they're turning the flow outwards just in front of the undercut

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."