Front wing flexing on 2012 cars

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
McMrocks
McMrocks

Re: Front wing flexing on 2012 cars

FoxHound wrote:And how would an improved load test be of any use when no current is running through the wing whilst it is being tested? Legal when tested, but fully flexing whilst racing.
This is a very good question. I've read something that now non-vertical loads are applied too.

Maybe this works better than the current test, which is not working that good

wesley123
wesley123

Are we going to discuss something we already discussed well enough 2 years ago?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

FoxHound

Did we actually know 100% that those wires where for the reasons stated?
Can electrical currents not pass through it and create the environment suitable for flexing as per what James Allen is alluding?
As I said before, I looked in a couple of threads and couldn't not find suitable answers.
JET set

flynfrog

FoxHound wrote:Did we actually know 100% that those wires where for the reasons stated?
Can electrical currents not pass through it and create the environment suitable for flexing as per what James Allen is alluding?
As I said before, I looked in a couple of threads and couldn't not find suitable answers.
The technologies Allen is talking about are very thin laminates at least the ones I have seen. Nothing that would take the force applied to an F1 wing. The article posted about is what I have been saying all along its just a clever laminate layup nothing to fancy. The 787 uses a similar process to get its wing tips to flex up under load.

FoxHound

Thanks Flynfrog.
flynfrog wrote:The technologies Allen is talking about are very thin laminates at least the ones I have seen. Nothing that would take the force applied to an F1 wing.
Fair enough, but we do not know this 100%. My question is why would you need an IR sensor at running through the nose in to the wing?
JET set

flynfrog

FoxHound wrote:Thanks Flynfrog.
flynfrog wrote:The technologies Allen is talking about are very thin laminates at least the ones I have seen. Nothing that would take the force applied to an F1 wing.
Fair enough, but we do not know this 100%. My question is why would you need an IR sensor at running through the nose in to the wing?
they use them to monitor tire temperatures. There are some pretty good pictures on here of the sensor.

flynfrog

you could also think about it as the amount of force it would take to bend a wing that far. Take our guess at the amount of work that is. Figure out the power requirement of such a device and see what the wire size would be. I am guessing its much bigger than the wires pictured.