2017 Malaysia Grand Prix - Sepang, 29 September-01 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Re: 2017 Malaysia Grand Prix - Sepang, 29 September-01 October

Bill_Kar wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 17:09
Martin Brundle was sure that a gearbox penalty is on the cards for VET, but while I was reading interviews etc from Ferrari side, they all seemed pretty relaxed. So is it really that highly possible?
After THAT amount of damage? Yes I would say it is.

Gearboxes go just with a rear wheel sideways shunt. Never mind it being ripped off and lifted up and over the engine cover.

sosic2121
sosic2121

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:23
Restomaniac wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:21
NathanOlder wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:19

Not when the FIA seem to be on your side
IF (capitals because they cannot be that stupid) they pulled that trick then they surely know kind of Pandora's box they are opening.
Very true. Just with the leniency shown towards Ferrari and Vettel this year, it doesn't help the whole Ferrari International Assistance thing
Are we going to have those stupid comments again?

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

FrukostScones wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 17:16
Bill_Kar wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 17:09
Martin Brundle was sure that a gearbox penalty is on the cards for VET, but while I was reading interviews etc from Ferrari side, they all seemed pretty relaxed. So is it really that highly possible?
Brundle is known for his cringeworthy bias against VET.
I have to agree.

Not taking anything for granted, but I think if gearbox penalty was that possible, Arriva&Ferrari would go insane over Stroll.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

sosic2121 wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 17:20
NathanOlder wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:23
Restomaniac wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:21
IF (capitals because they cannot be that stupid) they pulled that trick then they surely know kind of Pandora's box they are opening.
Very true. Just with the leniency shown towards Ferrari and Vettel this year, it doesn't help the whole Ferrari International Assistance thing
Are we going to have those stupid comments again?
If if transpires that Vet needs a gearbox and gets it for free (which is what we are talking about) then those 'stupid comments' would be totally justified. Otherwise it's just hypothetical anyway.

Gaz.
Gaz.

FrukostScones wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 16:29
siskue2005 wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 15:29
Jolle wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 15:16

That he took it with him you mean? So it won’t be stolen when the fans get on track.
You haven't been to a race. Have u?
The cars which are stopped are kept in a separate place with Marshalls surrounding it and also a track stewards protecting it. Nobody can steal anything. Not even small parts of carbon fibre. They would confiscate it when u get out of the track

I don't think that is the reason he took it. It was most probably due to some secret clutch panel they were developing

And also it is against the rule to take the wheel with u. Which is actually a safety rule. AND why did he again escape penalty for it? Really biased stewards.
during the race yes, after the race it is mayhem. people climbing over fences, nearly get run over by tractors, buses Vip shuttles. etc. taking DRS signs, Rolex signs, everyhing what can be taken will be gone... also wasn't once a steering whell stolen (from the pits) once...

so he probably took it because of the reason Jolle pointed out.

look what they take while at it:
https://blackflag.jalopnik.com/winner-t ... 1818481739
He's just ripped a driveshaft out of the gearbox and broken the suspension, and you think he was worried the steering wheel might get pinched?
Forza Jules

TAG

SectorOne wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 10:54
Juzh wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 10:51
SectorOne wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 10:47

Did he really got rekt?
He did actually.
I think what really happened is you are such a hardcore vettel-fan and yet again Vettel was involved in some stupid sh*t so you have to take it out on someone, the number one target being Hamilton or his fans.
You can literally see the rage in your posts. Just calm down, relax, step away from the keyboard for a while.
To Mr. SectorOne sir; Who was that masked man? I don't know, but he left behind this silver bullet. :mrgreen:

The townfolk thank you.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

TAG

Vettel keeps raking in these Driver of The Day awards, he's got this year's title sewn up!

माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

FrukostScones

@GAz
damage lies in the past, possible theft in the future, so it is rational to take it with him to prevent the event from happening.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

TAG

Phil wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 15:15
GrandAxe wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 12:51
[...]

In the meantime, the season is hotting up nicely, if Lewis wins Suzuka he'll only need to come second to win the WDC.
...something that is rather unlikely to happen if you follow this year. He is likely to either win or finish below 3rd.
So today's result was all sorts of unlikely! :P
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

ringo

From the video, it looks like 50/50 for vettel and stroll. Vettel shouldnt have cut in so hard in front of Stroll, as it wasn't necessary and Stroll was only guility of drifting a tad wide. No one to blame really but Vettel never had to be so aggressive so as to jump from a blind spot and then in front of stroll.
Anyhow, great race by Mad Max. I want to see him get more clean weekends like this.
As for Hamilton, i don't think the title race is over yet. If the ferrari and redbull prove stronger than mercedes in the remaining races, then it's actually vettel's title to lose at this stage.
Hamilton needs to win a few more and stay on the podium. Vettel's car is definitely guaranteed to finish 2nd minimum in the remaining races.
For Sure!!

SectorOne

TAG wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 17:33
The townfolk thank you.
Well, don´t.
Every single time in these race threads it´s just one big ----slinging fest and it´s getting pretty annoying with locked thread after locked thread.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Gaz.
Gaz.

FrukostScones wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 17:35
@GAz
damage lies in the past, possible theft in the future, so it is rational to take it with him to prevent the event from happening.
Or he just couldn't be arsed to put it back on a completely knackered car, which is far more likely and perfectly understandable.
Forza Jules

bdr529

Jester Maroc wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 12:40
proteus wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 12:34
I wish to spill some oil on the fire but what is this sound at 1:21 mark right before he hits the Stroll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo13jKbGmXc
Sounds like engine or gearbox. It also sounds like the rear tires are being dragged along on the tarmac.
I don't think that the sound is in sync with the video in that clip
as for the incident itself, I think Stroll didn't know he was there and drift right into the side of the Ferrari,
Stroll's fault for the accident, but that's all it was, an accident

DVB

Fulcrum wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 16:28
A couple of things I'm interested in:

- was it a complete component failure for Raikkonen or is it another gremlin?
- what happened with Vettel over the last few laps? Commentators suggested tyre degradation, but then he dropped away massively on the last lap and a half. A suggestion he may have run out of fuel? Is the latest spec a bit too thirsty?

Considering Vettel was at the back, this was as certain an opportunity for Raikkonen as he was likely to get - a complete own goal from Ferrari.
Could be the fuel yes. If I remember correctly, lap 64 he did 1.39.8 and lap 65 he did 1.40.3 or something.

Well it could be a thirsty Gina, but seeing how he was pushing the whole race, a 4rd place is incredible without SC or something else... You might see when some other title hunter having penalties, they will always have some SC or VSC in a race :wink:
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

maxxer
maxxer

DVB wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 18:14
Fulcrum wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 16:28
A couple of things I'm interested in:

- was it a complete component failure for Raikkonen or is it another gremlin?
- what happened with Vettel over the last few laps? Commentators suggested tyre degradation, but then he dropped away massively on the last lap and a half. A suggestion he may have run out of fuel? Is the latest spec a bit too thirsty?

Considering Vettel was at the back, this was as certain an opportunity for Raikkonen as he was likely to get - a complete own goal from Ferrari.
Could be the fuel yes. If I remember correctly, lap 64 he did 1.39.8 and lap 65 he did 1.40.3 or something.

Well it could be a thirsty Gina, but seeing how he was pushing the whole race, a 4rd place is incredible without SC or something else... You might see when some other title hunter having penalties, they will always have some SC or VSC in a race :wink:
Now they had to stop burning oil maybe ?