Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2014

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
machin

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2014

CAEdevice wrote:Another question: it's clear that inertial forces have the most important influence on fuel consumption, but what would happen in a track with little longitudinal inertial forces like Indianapolis?
No worries, The answer depends on how tight the radius of the oval/circular track is:-

1, If the radius is very large (or the banking is very steep) then the speed of the "normal" car will be limited by the power of the engine. In this case, dropping the car's drag by 10% can either result in the car going faster (gearing permitting), or if the driver lifts the throttle slightly; the same cornering speed with lower fuel consumption (similar to the examples in my earlier post).

2, If the corner radius is very small and the speed of the "normal" car is limited by the grip of the tyres/downforce (100mph in the example below) (or if the speed of the car is limited by some other outside source such as a safety car or speed limit), then switching to the low drag car he does not have the option of going faster (since the grip is unaffected by the drag), so he has no option but to save fuel. However you can also see from the chart that the fuel consumption that is saved at low cornering speeds is very small compared to higher cornering speeds (or indeed, when the car is accelerating and using the full power of the engine).

This all begs the question:-

"Why do we hear f1 driver's being told to save fuel every race, and why do we see Le Mans cars saving fuel to extend their stint lengths?"

The answer is that the perfect F1 race strategy is one in which the car completes the full race distance with no fuel remaining in the tank* (* except the amount required for post-race scrutineering), since if he finished the race with a lot of fuel in the tank that would mean he were carrying around some extra weight that was detrimental to race performance. The f1 teams try and get this "remaining fuel" amount down as small as possible; they even try and take into account expected safety car periods, and this means they actually under-fuel the car, meaning that the driver is sometimes asked to save fuel by short shifting or lifting off the throttle at the end of straights -but this will reduce his lap speed.

In races that allow refuelling it is quite common for the fuel capacity onboard to be slightly less than required to complete the race distance "flat out". E.g. imagine a situation where a car can complete 99 laps on two tanks of fuel (i.e. one mid-race pitstop) when driven "flat out", but the race distance is 100 laps; clearly it will be more beneficial for the driver to save a little bit of fuel (by reducing his lap speed slightly, hence reducing his fuel consumption, by short-shifting or lifting off the throttle) in order to save a bit of fuel and do 100 laps with just one fuel stop, rather than doing a final "splash and dash" on the penultimate lap.

In both instances the fuel saving is achieved by driving the car slower than the pace that it is capable of doing if it is driven flat out (i.e. the driver is exchanging lap speed for reduced fuel consumption by lifting off the throttle or short shifting), whether it is a "normal drag" car or a "low drag" one.
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

Thank you for the chart and the clear explanation!

machin

I guess you could ask whether we could purposefully introduce a situation akin to the following:-
for the fuel capacity onboard to be slightly less than required to complete the race distance "flat out". E.g. imagine a situation where a car can complete 99 laps on two tanks of fuel (i.e. one mid-race pitstop) when driven "flat out", but the race distance is 100 laps; clearly it will be more beneficial for the driver to save a little bit of fuel (by reducing his lap speed slightly, hence reducing his fuel consumption, by short-shifting or lifting off the throttle) in order to save a bit of fuel and do 100 laps with just one fuel stop, rather than doing a final "splash and dash" on the penultimate lap.
And indeed we could, but how would this affect the KVRC challenge? Well lets say we set the race up so that if the cars go flat out they can do the full race distance on 1 pitstop, but if they trade some lap time for fuel economy they can get away with doing no pitstops, what we'll end up with is a situation where there is a cut-off lap time, under which the cars will benefit from not doing the stop, and over which they will benefit most by doing the pitstop. What we'll end up with is a chart much like the one below, where there is a disconnect: the faster cars can finish the race even faster than they could before because they can trade some speed for the ability to avoid the pitstop:-

In effect, it won't change the challenge ("design the most efficient car to achieve the best lap time"), but it will mean that the best cars finish even further ahead of the worst cars....

astracrazy
astracrazy

Well that's it guys for 2014. Thank you to all involved I think you'll agree it was a great season

The results for race 5:

CSR 25
JJR Racing 18
Variante 15
CAEdevice 12
BigSpace Racing 10
Team Furia DNS
Bleeding Edge DNS
Cottrell Motorsport DNS
Kulcu Motor Sports DNS

Congrats to CSR for becoming this years champions (and for holding on to his crown)
Congrats to Variante for 2nd place and JJR for third

Congrats to everyone as well for your effort

We will finalise the prize money and be in touch shortly

CAEdevice

Thank you Luke and thank you Julien! My first season has been much more funny than I thought. I can't wait for the next season: I'm sure CSR, JJR and Variante will have some more difficuties holding their position :) For the moment congratulations to everyone!

PS: ... and thanks to Machin too!

variante

Nice season. I really ejoyed working on my car...even too much :D

So, congratulations to CSR: really unbeatable this year. And many thanks to Julien, Astracrazy and Machin for their great work!

Talking of my car, i've been fighting against drag problems through all the season... And lack of development from race 2 on condemned me to the 2° place...

BTW, i'm ready for the next season, whichever formula will be chosen

machin

Good stuff. I thought I would do a final update on the Aero Coefficients chart from the complete two seasons:-

Well done everybody, I hope you all had fun.

JJR
JJR

Thanks to Julien, Luke and machin for this great competition. I have so much fun.
Thanks to all competitors.
Congratulation CSR for his fantastic design. He would put 1 lap on us on full race distance :)
I will try to continue work on my car for the rest of f1 season, to see where can I get.

astracrazy
astracrazy

@jjr keep us updated

cdsavage
cdsavage

Finished for another year. Well done everybody, Luke and Julien deserve thanks and congratulations on a very well-run competition this year. Thanks also to Variante, JJR, CAEdevice etc for keeping me on my toes.

I'm not sure yet whether I will be entering for a third year but either way I do plan on staying involved in KVRC.

CAEdevice

cdsavage wrote:Finished for another year. Well done everybody, Luke and Julien deserve thanks and congratulations on a very well-run competition this year. Thanks also to Variante, JJR, CAEdevice etc for keeping me on my toes.

I'm not sure yet whether I will be entering for a third year but either way I do plan on staying involved in KVRC.
Hope you'll take part to the KVRC next year... It would not be worth getting on the podium thanks to your absence!

CAEdevice

Hi everybody, as promised, here is a "open source" version of CAEdevice MP001. I hope it will be useful as "basic geometry" for new partecipants to the KVRC 2015 (assuming that F1 rules will be choosen next year). It's not an optimized geometry: it's just the basic car I used as start point for each race development. I hope it could help to increase the numeber of partecipants to KVRC, but I'd be curious to know what the other 2014 teams think about my design.

http://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/Khamsin ... _MP001.zip (STEP format)
http://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/Khamsin ... etchUp.zip (SketchUp format)

Last edited by CAEdevice on 12 Jun 2014, 10:10, edited 3 times in total.

machin

Awesome idea! (are you not worried that one of your "customer teams" might be quicker??!!!) :wink:

CAEdevice

machin wrote:Awesome idea! (are you not worried that one of your "customer teams" might be quicker??!!!) :wink:
To be honest there was only one point that I didn't liked during the KVRC2014: the small number of partcipants (also consider that only 5 o 6 people, including the staff, were on the forum), so I would change my fourth place with a sixth or seventh if there could be more teams. I think that to have a start point will help new designers.

About the car: it's only a good start point, quite far from the best car (the gap is about 15% of efficiency) but quite better than the worst cars. Consider that after the last race I continued to develop it with samll improvements, not inlcuded in the released geoemtry, gaining another 5% of DF, slightly reducing the drag and that without optimizing the car it's impossible to compete for the podium (see 2014 MagnyCours race for example).

There are some components that had a specific design for each race:

- front wing
- rear wing
- diffuser (my geometry was frozen after the second race, but only for the lack of time)
- mirrors position: depending on the race it could be more useful a more neutral position (to reduce the drag) or a more aggressive position with the aim to disturb the flow on the upper surface of the sidepods that (at least for my MP001, it is not a general effect) generate a small lift effect. I really hope that in the KVRC 20015 rules there will be a rule to avoid too low (and not realistic) position of the mirrors
- monkey seat height (it can help the flow of the central part of the diffuser in "low DF setup" or the flow under the rear wing upper flap in "high DF setup")
Last edited by CAEdevice on 12 Jun 2014, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.

cdsavage
cdsavage

It's a good idea, attracting more entrants should be a priority for next year. What do people think about much more in the way of spec parts to reduce the barrier to entry? At the very least, a supplied but optional set of parts is something we should look into.