Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2014

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
astracrazy
astracrazy

Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2014

Hi Guys

Please use this thread now for 2014. Later I will post the final rules and basic file draft.

Edit:

Rule book (Final):
*Please see below, re-release due soon*

Basic file (Draft) - gearbox tbc. please let me know if you want anything else added in terms of colours in relation to rules. I'm speaking to cdsavage about making a less size heavy version of the wheels/suspension. is a bit big atm:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/oic58 ... c_file.skp

Previous thread from 2013: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 14&t=13382
Last edited by astracrazy on 12 Dec 2013, 10:09, edited 2 times in total.

julien.decharentenay
julien.decharentenay

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2014

astracrazy, thanks a lot for stepping in. I will try to get my act together and do my bit.

CFD size: I have been not started yet. I hope to start very shortly and should be able to finalise the process reasonably quickly. I will use the same approach that was made for the KVRC rules book and make it as transparent as possible. I hope it will be suitable.

Julien

astracrazy
astracrazy

Ric:
In relation to your question it is possible. The price will be slightly different though per race, we expect only a few dollars more (so like £2 or something). As opposed to paying all upfront. Purely in relation to covering transaction fees.

cdsavage:
Julien is still working on this atm we expect 1st week in Jan

for reference:

A register your interest form will be up by the end of the week, your not committing to anything but if your interested in joining, please sign up - payment is not required for this part

These are provisional dates, but we will try to keep to them....
18th December 2013: Finalise basic file
23rd December 2013: Official release of welcome pack;

5th January 2014: Finalised CFD parameters & cost;

1st February 2014: Final registration open;
28th February 2014: Registration closes;

6th March 2014: Race #1 Monte Carlo;
27th March 2014: Race #2 Magny-Cours;
17th April 2014: Race #3 Monza;
8th May 2014: Race #4 Silverstone;
29th May 2014: Race #5 Nürburgring.

http://www.khamsinvirtualracecarchallen ... troduction

Schifty
Schifty

What?!

Was free first season test and now should cost something for this one..... not really fair.

variante

Schifty, it was mentioned multiple times...
There's a reason for payment: cars need to be tested by some hardware, the which is provided by a server by payment. Last year we had "sponsors" for that, while this year we haven't found them yet. So for the moment we are planning to equally divide the cost between the teams.
If we manage to find any sponsor, cost will drop, or even it will become a completely free event again.

astracrazy
astracrazy

last year they had a sponsor that covered the computational cost (i.e gave x amount of cloud space) - which is why last year only 3 races was possible. We do not have that luxury this year.

The amount each participant will pay covers the cost of there model being tested. anything left over gets split between 1st to 3rd as prize money.

Me and Julien make nor take any money from the project. In fact we plan on being totally transparent with the money side.

I know it doesn't seem fair but its the only way we can make the project continue.

As above, you can pay a one of fee which we expect to be $50 (£30) upfront during Feb which will cover you for the whole competition or you can pay as you go around 1 week before each race which we imagine to be around $13 (£8) - to cover transaction fees. Prices are to be finalised once Julien has finished his research.

Overall i understand where you are coming from but we will have a better season because of it. we now have 5 races and although we dropped two tests (because the difference was only around 2%) we will have a much more accurate one test

I will try and do some work on looking to see if we can get some free space somewhere in January which might help reduce the cost, i'll also see if Julien has any ideas (i've got another meeting with him next week). But i'm not going to promise anything.

cdsavage
cdsavage

Good to see things moving forward but I think there are still some issues with these regs:

Why is there now a section about the rear crash structure? I really think this should be part of the spec gearbox like last year. It just opens a can of worms for unrealistic designs and adds to the number of rules that need to be complied with.

The same goes for the provision allowing for a different engine if it is "no smaller" than the supplied one - I dont see the point in doing this differently to last year. Just use a single spec engine - as this is an aero competition there is no point in allowing different engines. The engine doesnt even need to be submitted as a part of the final car, it is only there to define a minimum size for the bodywork.

While etmc's engine looks great, if it is easier then I dont see any issue with just re-using the engine and gearbox from last year. It already gives a pretty reasonable volume to build bodywork around.

Sidepod area - the second section hasnt changed from draft 3 - I thought this was going to change?

Minor note - is the reference plane at Z=39.8 or Z=38.9? I have been using 39.8, Im not sure if this was a typo.

astracrazy
astracrazy

Ok, i'm pretty keen to get this all tied up

Rear crash structure - will use last years gearbox and crash structure now. Will amend rules to suit.

Engine - I know what your saying but a lot of people have come to me to use there engine. Its just easier to supply the smallest one and allow others to use theres if they wish. If its bigger its a disadvantage to them.

Sidepod area - my fault, didn't add it to my list

And your correct about the reference plane - typo

I'll make the changes tonight and re-release. Thanks for your help.

Any changes anyone wants to be made to there basic file, please let me know by the 18th

wigglez28
wigglez28

Just out of interest is it still going to be called khamsin virtual racecar challenge next season since the sponsors have left and as far as I was aware khamsin was a sponsor. Possibly a way of getting a sponsor would be to include their company in the name? Great job on the website by the way :)

machin

Khamsin is the name of the CFD plugin from Hibou that is used to test the aerodynamics of the cars... unless I am mistaken.....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

wigglez28
wigglez28

Oh ok no worries

astracrazy
astracrazy

sorry i didn't get another final copy of the regs up last night will do it tomoz (sat).

i done a cosmetic update on the website as well

yes, Khamsin is Juliens so will still be in the name :)

edit:

There is also a pre-registration form on the website. If you intend to take part, or just want to keep upto date because you are undecided - please submit. You will then be e-mailed with all updates. You are not committing to the challenge at this point.

julien.decharentenay
julien.decharentenay

As mentioned the website has been updated with a pre-registration form. This is just an expression of interest, not a commitment to participation. It would assist us when trying to get interest from sponsors.

Re naming: Khamsin is the name of the software that I developed and is used (or a derivative of it) for the challenge. I would be more than happy to give it another name if a willing sponsor was coming along... At this stage it is easier as the website is registered, the email address are there, etc...

astracrazy
astracrazy

We've had a good response as well which is promising. Obviously everyone can do there part and tell everybody about it or post it on any other forums they go to.

Here is the final copy of the rule which will appear in the welcome pack:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/q3299j189 ... 0Rules.pdf

No suggestions for the draft basic file which is good, so we should get that tied up this week and then the welcome pack released by the end of this week. Obviously you can use the files we have already shared if you wish but be aware there could be 1 or 2 changes

RicME85

MadMatt wrote:Hello guys,

I have 500hours of "power-on-demand" simulation available for Star-CCM+. I am not going to use these as I have license at work, so I am willing to sell this. I am just asking for a bit of money so I can buy a nice book so if you are interested, make me an offer in private!

It is valid until the 22nd of March 2014.

:)