2020 Formula 1 70th Anniversary Grand Prix - Silverstone, August 7-9

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
zibby43
zibby43

Re: 2020 Formula 1 70th Anniversary Grand Prix - Silverstone, August 7-9

dans79 wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:06
GPR-A wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:02
JordanMugen wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:01

Exactly! That is precisely what Mercedes should do!

To treat the tyres so badly that they grain in 5 laps is really not good at all. :|
And who has won 6 double world championships and how many races have others won? Who will win this year? :lol:

As I said earlier Mercedes won't make the same mistake again, and then we will be back to people complaining about Merc dominance.
And Merc discovered the 1 situation in which the Red Bull car is halfway decent (can’t say quick, because no one was really racing today, just managing tires) - when the track temps are sky-high, the tires pressures are cartoonish, and the compounds are ill-suited for the circuit.

GPR-A

ispano6 wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:18
Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:13
ispano6 wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:47

Explain how it's artificial please. Pirelli sets the pressures each race weekend.
It would be artificial if they change the pressures under instruction from Liberty in order to affect the championship fight.
El Scorchio wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:51
Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:41

As I said, do it between seasons. I don't agree that the rules should be changed on the fly to contrive a title outcome. If they're going to play that game then the title is pointless as it's effectively down to the authorities who wins.

Could you imagine any other sport where the rules are changed on the fly to alter the outcome? Football - change the offside rule to allow one team to score whilst others aren't allowed to, for example. Or suddenly reduce the number of defensive players an American Football team can use if they have won more matches than their opponent. It's just silly, isn't it?
Agree. I liked how it was done today as it was a good way of creating two different situations at the same track. Not many people want to see the same race run twice and we got great variety but it would be a shame now if Pirelli decide or are asked to be ‘zany’ with tyres for the sake of it to try and artificially spice things up for the rest of the season just because they see an Achilles heel.
The point is that all teams have to adapt their cars for the given conditions. Red Bull likely was going to win this race even if the available compounds were the same as the first time. Changing the tire compounds wasn't the differentiating factor, the ambient Temps were. The Mercedes Achilles heel is high Temps, not zany artificial tires. The tires are zany official tires.
How many times have we heard this over the last 6 years? Yet, when a next race happens in similar conditions, Mercedes disappoints the naysayers.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

JordanMugen wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:01
GPR-A wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:57
Building a car that works on any tyres is what teams should do.
Exactly! That is precisely what Mercedes should do!

To treat the tyres so badly that they grain in 5 laps is really not good at all. :|

Softer tyres seem to be the way to go to get more two-pitstop races in this 2020 championship. :)
It wasn't just the tyres being softer. The minimum pressures were also increased which was done to stop the tyres failing even though the failures were caused by external issues rather than the tyres themselves.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

nevill3

In what way was the race improved by manufacturing a two stop race, the only person to gain from it seems to have been Lewis. If the harder compounds had been used and the pressures were more normal Max would have still won ( due to the temperatures), but Valtteri would probably have finished second
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

GPR-A

zibby43 wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:19
dans79 wrote:
GPR-A wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:02
And who has won 6 double world championships and how many races have others won? Who will win this year? :lol:

As I said earlier Mercedes won't make the same mistake again, and then we will be back to people complaining about Merc dominance.
And Merc discovered the 1 situation in which the Red Bull car is halfway decent (can’t say quick, because no one was really racing today, just managing tires) - when the track temps are sky-high, the tires pressures are cartoonish, and the compounds are ill-suited for the circuit.
Not sure why Pirelli goes through this pain. Every weekend, it's just bad publicity. In my opinion, given where F1 is, nobody can do better job than Pirelli, but they end up getting flak. Nobody praises them when there is close racing and tyres allow a good spectacle. Hope this is last time this season where they get this treatment. 27 PSI is just atrociously ridiculous. It might have altered one weekend, but if it becomes standard, Mercedes will come prepared and there would be another procession.

godlameroso

GPR-A wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:16
godlameroso wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:13
GPR-A wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:32
Golden statement. Will keep a note of this. Will be very handy in days to come. :lol:
In what way? I don't hear RB complaining about tires, or using unprescribed pressures. They just blame their own chassis for not being good in qualifying. Yes Mercedes has the fastest car, qualifying shows that clearly their car is unbeatable over one lap. When the rubber or fuel isn't a limiting factor they can use their pace advantage and ride off into the sunset. Barcelona will be very good for Mercedes, they can use their pace advantage and it's not a particularly fuel thirsty circuit. I doubt the heat will play into RB's hands again, the Italian rounds perhaps as Mugello is very high speed and thus very demanding in terms of fuel and it kills tires. Spa is very fuel thirsty but again should suit Mercedes despite the temperature.
What were they doing last year when Pirelli brought 4mm less tread? Especially after losing the early races? On Barcelona, nobody can go there with skinnier rear wing and expect to be competitive like in Silverstone.
Red Bull were complaining about the tires? Maybe some fans were, because they thought the thinner tires would give Mercedes an extra edge vs the one they already had? It's not like their car was slow last year, but like this year a continuation of their dominance since 2014. Just glad the championship has taken a blip from the Hamilton domination fest. Verstappen only managed to reel him in by 6 points, although it's not looking good for Bottas, as he's now behind Verstappen in a car that's a good .7 seconds faster.

Now you understand why I think Verstappen could take it to Mercedes if the car was a little closer? What's the tally so far DNF 3, 2, 2, 1. Hamilton's gap to Verstappen would be even less had he not had that DNF in race 1. If Red Bull gets on top of their chassis issues it's going to be game on and we both know it.
Saishū kōnā

Sieper

Scorpaguy wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 16:43
Well done Max and Christian... ...from a former Max-Hater, now just a Max-disliker.

Toto...you got played on Saturday.

Bino...better give Lec a raise, he is the only thing keeping you in a job.
Have you seen the Sky post race interview with Max, open, honoust, no gloating or unfairness. Hopefully you will move even a bit further up that scale in the future! :)

grubschumi13
grubschumi13

Interesting to see. Why when Lewis does not win, this forum explodes with deriding everything from race penalties should be changed particularly the rule that caught him out and now the tires that he didnt like are rubbish and cheese like.

Lewis said it himself, he wants a fight. Also to be fair they were so far ahead of everyone else and were only beaten by Max yet u make their tire issues seem like its so bad that they could not get any points. P2 and P3 not the worst day out racing to be fair.

matt_b
matt_b

Why did Bottas follow Max into the pits? surely you do the opposite? Can't remember the last time I saw P1 and P2 pit on the same lap without a SC or VSC.

Xwang
Xwang

lh13 wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 16:46
What a sore loser Hamilton is, complaining on the radio that Verstappen must have lower tyre pressure. That's accusing you competitors of cheating.
When I've listened the team radio I've thought the same exact thing.
IMHO Hamilton is a sore loser and an unsportsmanlike.
At the end he complains also about the tyre pressures which according to him were too high. Is he asking help from Pirelli?

zibby43
zibby43

GPR-A wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:31
zibby43 wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:19
dans79 wrote:

Not sure why Pirelli goes through this pain. Every weekend, it's just bad publicity. In my opinion, given where F1 is, nobody can do better job than Pirelli, but they end up getting flak. Nobody praises them when there is close racing and tyres allow a good spectacle. Hope this is last time this season where they get this treatment. 27 PSI is just atrociously ridiculous. It might have altered one weekend, but if it becomes standard, Mercedes will come prepared and there would be another procession.
Truth. And a very fair assessment on Pirelli. They've got a tough job, but sometimes they just make it tougher on themselves. And while they have a tough job, they are definitely not above criticism when they have to resort to pressures like those used today to keep their product from self-immolating.

zibby43
zibby43

Xwang wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:40
lh13 wrote:
What a sore loser Hamilton is, complaining on the radio that Verstappen must have lower tyre pressure. That's accusing you competitors of cheating.
At the end he complains also about the tyre pressures which according to him were too high. Is he asking help from Pirelli?
Well, you're both wrong, because you erroneously listened to Karun's wild speculation on air, assuming that was what Lewis was insinuating over the radio.

Actual explanation:

"When we start the race we have a minimum tyre pressure and during the race they increase with more laps. I assumed we went on a much steeper rise."

Lewis said he didn't accuse them because he knows everyone has the same settings and minimum tyre pressure.

The irrational Lewis haters cannot stop foaming at the mouth long enough to ask themselves, "Hmm, is Hamilton giving feedback to his team about his tire pressures and how the car is reacting?"

"Nope, he must be complaining!"

:lol:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

nevill3 wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:28
In what way was the race improved by manufacturing a two stop race, the only person to gain from it seems to have been Lewis. If the harder compounds had been used and the pressures were more normal Max would have still won ( due to the temperatures), but Valtteri would probably have finished second
If the tyres/pressures were as last weekend then Max might have won as the Mercs wouldn't have had the same issues as today. He'd have had to fight harder for it, and the likelihood is he'd have had a good chance of the win.

Today, it was a gift for him. If you listen to him in post-race interviews, he says that they need similar in future races to do it again. If tyres are "normal" in future then he's going to struggle to repeat today's outcome.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

lh13
lh13

zibby43 wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:47
Xwang wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:40
lh13 wrote:
Well, you're both wrong, because you erroneously listened to Karun's wild speculation on air, assuming that was what Lewis was insinuating over the radio.

Actual explanation:

"When we start the race we have a minimum tyre pressure and during the race they increase with more laps. I assumed we went on a much steeper rise."

Lewis said he didn't accuse them because he knows everyone has the same settings and minimum tyre pressure.

The irrational Lewis haters cannot stop foaming at the mouth long enough to ask themselves, "Hmm, is Hamilton giving feedback to his team about his tire pressures and how the car is reacting?"

"Nope, he must be complaining!"

:lol:
Still a sore loser.

dans79

godlameroso wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:31
1. If Red Bull gets on top of their chassis issues it's going to be game on and we both know it.
I think that's extreme hope on you part more than thing else.
197 104 103 7