2012 Canadian GP - Gilles Villeneuve

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Shrieker

Re: Canadian GP 2012 - Gilles Villeneuve

Maybe they need to give him the old nose back if he can fare better then he does now ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

PlatinumZealot

marcush. wrote:according to whitmarsh Jenson had chosen a differnt rear suspension geometry to Hamilton which abused the rears more .He also had this problem with front lockup....I think they just blew the setup big time this weekend .
Button has never been good at setup. What makes it worse, acording to sam michael, Button can't drive Hamilton's setup when it's a front grip biased one. It ended that Button had to look for his own setup on a circuit where you need more front grip.. so he was lost...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

beelsebob
beelsebob

ajdavison2 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
nacho wrote:Button totally lost, weird things happening.
Bear in mind, he had one quarter of the time everyone else had to set his car up, and a 5 place grid drop.
Button didn't have a penalty, Maldonaldo did if you're getting confused between the 2? In the post race interview he plainly admitted that he didn't have the pace, couldn't keep the tires together and that he had no explanation.
Button changed had an oil leak in FP1, and changed his gearbox before FP2 resulting in a grid drop.

myurr
myurr

Shrieker wrote:Maybe they need to give him the old nose back if he can fare better then he does now ?
New nose is designed to give better airflow to the rear of the car, which is where Button prefers extra stability from greater downforce. His championship winning year was with the double diffuser, and last year when he bested Lewis the cars had the blown diffuser. Going back to the old nose wouldn't help his cause.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

beelsebob wrote:
ajdavison2 wrote:
beelsebob wrote: Bear in mind, he had one quarter of the time everyone else had to set his car up, and a 5 place grid drop.
Button didn't have a penalty, Maldonaldo did if you're getting confused between the 2? In the post race interview he plainly admitted that he didn't have the pace, couldn't keep the tires together and that he had no explanation.
Button changed had an oil leak in FP1, and changed his gearbox before FP2 resulting in a grid drop.
Nope.

They took the gearbox out, repaired it and put the same one back in.

He scraped into the top ten via Maldonados smack into the "wall of champions" and that's where he started.

Also, I made a thread a little while ago asking if Jenson not doing any testing at Mugello has hampered his ability to setup his car.

Three out of three races after testing and driving with the new nose, Button has been nowhere in qualifying and seriously struggling in races.
Last edited by GrizzleBoy on 10 Jun 2012, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.

ringo

He started tenth didnt he?

all the same, the young drivers did very well. Loved how the race ended.
This race was an all out sprint. There was no tyre saving, which is what i want to see. It's no surprised the agressive drivers came through.
For Sure!!

myurr
myurr

beelsebob wrote:Button changed had an oil leak in FP1, and changed his gearbox before FP2 resulting in a grid drop.
Not true. They don't run their race gearbox on Fridays so the gearbox change was free. He used his assigned race gearbox for Saturday and Sunday, so no penalty.

beelsebob
beelsebob

ringo wrote:He started tenth didnt he?

all the same, the young drivers did very well. Loved how the race ended.
This race was an all out sprint. There was no tyre saving, which is what i want to see. It's no surprised the agressive drivers came through.
Well, Hamilton certainly, Greasjean and Perez made it by preserving tyres, not sprinting. Of course *that* is what I want to see – tyres that allow you to do either, and have a chance with either.

PlatinumZealot

myurr wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Button changed had an oil leak in FP1, and changed his gearbox before FP2 resulting in a grid drop.
Not true. They don't run their race gearbox on Fridays so the gearbox change was free. He used his assigned race gearbox for Saturday and Sunday, so no penalty.
THIS!!
+++
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

alogoc
alogoc

Re: Ferrari F2012

beelsebob wrote:
Ratatouille wrote:Hmm, could it be that Ferrari's tyre degradation has something to do with the new exhaust configuration?

Before, Ferrari seemed to have better degradation than Red Bull and much much better than Mclaren, and somewhere in the middle between Sauber. Today it seemed they had just 2-3 laps better tyre management than their direct competitors and much worse compared to the Sauber.

Could it be the exhaust plume acting on the tyres?
I'm not sure... it's possible; but I think it has more to do with McLaren having figured out the tyres more – they seemed to manage to make them work over a full 10°C range this weekend. Bear in mind too, the Ferrari's tyres didn't go off until about 10 laps after Hamilton's pit stop, so they're still doing better than McLaren. Also, they went two laps longer in the first stint than Vettel while still putting in the fast laps, and kept it up better in their "second" stint.

So really, combination of two things 1) McLaren sorted out their tyres better than in the past 2) Ferrari still had the properties you're talking about, it just was rather masked by a disastrous strategy call.

Alonso cought Hamilton at the end of the first stint!!!!
Grosjean cought Hamilton at the end!!!
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: Ferrari F2012

Sorry, what point are you trying to make?
Last edited by Steven on 11 Jun 2012, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quoted post right above

fiohaa
fiohaa

Out of Ron Dennis' own mouth - 'It is a lottery'.
This, coming from the most scientifically driven team on the grid. so there you go.

simieski
simieski

beelsebob wrote:
marcush. wrote:according to whitmarsh Jenson had chosen a differnt rear suspension geometry to Hamilton which abused the rears more .He also had this problem with front lockup....I think they just blew the setup big time this weekend .
As I said above, not much blowing to do – he only had a quarter as long as everyone else to figure out how to get it set up.
I guess at least this weekend he had an excuse for it then :lol:
I'm sure others have had similar set backs in practice etc without it having such a dramatic effect. Given his performances of late how much further up the field reaslitically would you expect him to have finished? At least this way we were spared the repetitive post practice sessions interview where it is 'balance, balance balance....'
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

astracrazy
astracrazy

it was so refreshing to see a driver (this case Hamilton) be able to more or less be flat on it for the whole race and not worry about tyre deg. This is what i want to see. I think the only period Hamilton held back was maybe the first 10 laps? After that he must of got on average the fastest lap every 6-7 laps... Fantastic to see and fantastic to see it the old Hamilton (but controlled)
fiohaa wrote:Out of Ron Dennis' own mouth - 'It is a lottery'.
This, coming from the most scientifically driven team on the grid. so there you go.
I never read into what Ron says, half the time what he says isn't what he means. Ronspeak

FrukostScones

fiohaa wrote:Out of Ron Dennis' own mouth - 'It is a lottery'.
Only teams that played the lottery today were Red Bull and Ferrari.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.