2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Chanman141
Chanman141

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Supposedly the floor edge is relatively simple so some good gains could be available here

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Alo_Fan wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 21:13
Miha_v wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 11:34
AR3-GP wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 05:08
After listening to the post race presser where Alonso was asked to discuss the weaknesses of the car, while he didn't want to be forthcoming, he in a roundabout way hinted at the following issues:

1) straightline speed (not as efficient as RB, harder to overtake)
2) Power delivery (Despite the traction, Alonso had a LOT of wheel spin in 3rd gear in his battles, power delivery is not smooth)
3) Steering (A regular complaint of Alonso's at new teams He usually cites a lack of feeling in the front end).
Great. Knowing weaknessess is the first step to improving :)

Anyone remember Alonso having a bit of difficulty after returning to f1 with Alpine? He was ok, but not great - until they tweaked his steering system to his liking. After that, he was his old self - really fast again. Considering how he drove yesterday I would have thought, steering is perfect already :)
Yeah to be honest, as good as Fernando drove yesterday, it seemed from the live timing, at times he could have drove faster if he had been more comfortable with the power steering etc. Stroll especially at the beginning of the race showed just as good, if not better pace than Fernando, but at the end of the race Fernando came good.
While I can't be sure, I assumed Alonso was bringing the tires in gently. AM knew they had tire advantage over everyone in front and realistically, they were always going to beat Mercs and Sainz.

Alo_Fan

AR3-GP wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 21:22
Alo_Fan wrote:
Miha_v wrote:

Anyone remember Alonso having a bit of difficulty after returning to f1 with Alpine? He was ok, but not great - until they tweaked his steering system to his liking. After that, he was his old self - really fast again. Considering how he drove yesterday I would have thought, steering is perfect already :)
Yeah to be honest, as good as Fernando drove yesterday, it seemed from the live timing, at times he could have drove faster if he had been more comfortable with the power steering etc. Stroll especially at the beginning of the race showed just as good, if not better pace than Fernando, but at the end of the race Fernando came good.
While I can't be sure, I assumed Alonso was bringing the tires in gently. AM knew they had tire advantage over everyone in front and realistically, they were always going to beat Mercs and Sainz.
I hear that, but his pace on the softs once the Mercs pitted in front wasn't that great either. My feeling is once he's fully dialled in, he should probably be around 3-5 tenths ahead of Stroll in race conditions.

Alo_Fan

AR3-GP wrote:
Alo_Fan wrote:
Miha_v wrote:

I'm also factoring in that Stroll came back from a terrible injury and no testing time, so I expected Fernando to be further ahead than he was.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Alo_Fan wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 21:30
AR3-GP wrote:
Alo_Fan wrote:

I'm also factoring in that Stroll came back from a terrible injury and no testing time, so I expected Fernando to be further ahead than he was.
I agree, the first stint looked odd. Stroll was catching him up, before he got onto the back of Russell.

I also expect a bigger gap to stroll in the future. Alonso was a lot quicker as expected in the final stint even as he was avoiding the kerbs, while Stroll was having to push to keep Russell behind (although given the car, that wasn't very difficult).

Alo_Fan

AR3-GP wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 21:34
Alo_Fan wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 21:30
AR3-GP wrote:

I agree, the first stint looked odd. Stroll was catching him up, before he got onto the back of Russell.

I also expect a bigger gap to stroll in the future. Alonso was a lot quicker as expected in the final stint even as he was avoiding the kerbs, while Stroll was having to push to keep Russell behind (although given the car, that wasn't very difficult).

https://i.postimg.cc/QNwWc9SR/image.png
To be honest, I think the longer the race went on, Stroll was probably manging his pain more and more as well. I really hope once Fernando figures out the intricacies of this car, he'll be able to get even more pace out of this fast machine.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Fernando was not at full with the car yet and you could see it in those snap oversteer moments he had. Cars should be more oversteery this year due to the tyre change and also less weight. But they can also improve certain areas of the car plus the power steering of Fernando's wheel. Fernando the experienced driver that he is already told us he needs some races to get full with it, but his performance in Bahrain maybe has made people forget that.

I expect Fernando will have a bit less impressive showing in Jeddah. In fact I'd say there's a 40% chance Stroll qualifies ahead (don't ask me why those odds). Australia should be good again though.

I also expect the second part of the season to be even stronger in Fernando's driving.

Cs98
Cs98

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 23:54
Cs98 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 23:34
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 20:26
I think the other teams (bar RB sadly) should be pretty worried now...
-The car is a completely new platform and not an evolution like RB and they still need to learn about it and dial it in
-Stroll is still not fit to drive and had ZERO testing
-Alonso still not happy with the steering and brakes and not fully "in the zone" with the car atm
-Dan Fallows (need I say more? :D)
-Upgrades on the way probably season long since they have an epic base to continue to work in for 2024

When all of these things "click" it will be super fun to watch for the fans, probably not so much for the other teams... :D
The car isn't an evolution? Have you seen the side on view compared to the RB? It's clearly AM's evolution on the 2022 RB aero concept, which they tried to emulate after Fallows joined in 2022. They've done a very good job of evolving that concept with their own ideas.
No offence, but what on earth are you talking about? I think you completely missed what I was talking about in the 1st point of the list... The AMR23 is clearly a clean slate compared to the AMR22... UNLIKE the RB19 being an evolution of the RB18 and a better car in all areas... It makes absolutely zero sense that you would compare a physical car from one team (Aston) to a virtual concept of another (Red Bull)... Yes, they went the RB way and refined it in their way, but all the data and setup they used for the AMR22 last season are VOID for the AMR23 this year, hence they still have a lot to discover about their new car...
You said it wasn’t an evolution and a completely new platform. It clearly is an evolution, and not a new platform by any means. The DNA of the RB18 is clear as day. They’ve taken that base concept and developed it their own way. The RB19 has gone a different direction, stayed more close to the original.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Cs98 wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 23:00
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
Cs98 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 23:34

The car isn't an evolution? Have you seen the side on view compared to the RB? It's clearly AM's evolution on the 2022 RB aero concept, which they tried to emulate after Fallows joined in 2022. They've done a very good job of evolving that concept with their own ideas.
No offence, but what on earth are you talking about? I think you completely missed what I was talking about in the 1st point of the list... The AMR23 is clearly a clean slate compared to the AMR22... UNLIKE the RB19 being an evolution of the RB18 and a better car in all areas... It makes absolutely zero sense that you would compare a physical car from one team (Aston) to a virtual concept of another (Red Bull)... Yes, they went the RB way and refined it in their way, but all the data and setup they used for the AMR22 last season are VOID for the AMR23 this year, hence they still have a lot to discover about their new car...
You said it wasn’t an evolution and a completely new platform. It clearly is an evolution, and not a new platform by any means. The DNA of the RB18 is clear as day. They’ve taken that base concept and developed it their own way. The RB19 has gone a different direction, stayed more close to the original.
I think that what OP was getting at is that it's new platform for AM

So the first go will always be "rough". Much like the original RB18. AMR built their first version of this concept.

Cs98
Cs98

AR3-GP wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 23:06
Cs98 wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 23:00
PinkFloydPulse wrote:

I think that what OP was getting at is that it's new platform for AM

So the first go will always be "rough". Much like the original RB18. AMR built their first version of this concept.
Their first go with the RB18 aero platform was already last year, from Spain onwards. This is their first evolution on that base, which is why you can see it starting to differentiate from the RB19.

organic

The details will come with development. I expect Aston martin will develop very aggressively =D>

I'm not 100% sure they will go for a complex floor edge. Like Ferrari, they have very little floor planform between the sidepod and edge of the floor legality, and Ferrari too are going with a very clean/regular floor edge. It is possible that with such a design, you might want the cleanest airflow to be guided by the sidepod to the diffuser rather than "waste" some of it to generate outwash with an edge wing like RB/McLaren

dren

Alo_Fan wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 21:25
I hear that, but his pace on the softs once the Mercs pitted in front wasn't that great either. My feeling is once he's fully dialled in, he should probably be around 3-5 tenths ahead of Stroll in race conditions.
I think what you mean is 6 tenths.
Honda!

Mr Alcatraz

How awesome is Fred, aka "The WILY Old Fox" aka The modern day Hadrian.
All hail Caesar!!!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

CHT
CHT

Mr Alcatraz wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 01:56
How awesome is Fred, aka "The WILY Old Fox" aka The modern day Hadrian.
All hail Caesar!!!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202303 ... 87b294.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
This pic was taken when he won the WDC with Renault I think

zoroastar
zoroastar

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10283 ... in-podium/

and it starts. Marko complaining that the Aston is possibly breaking the rules by copying redbull.. farther down he says that with a clean start, Alonso would have been a threat to the redbulls. which is good to hear. this dude is like eccelstone light. always has to be throwing grenades