Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Darknight
Darknight

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

ringo wrote:now:
before:
The plates extending rearward from the front wing struts look bigger. this is what i thought they might have done to shield under the nose and maintain a bigger lower pressure area. Though i was expecting some kind of barge board arrangement like BMW last year.

I think this is why they were able to removed the dive planes/vortex generators.

So they should have a slight front end grip improvement, i think.

(edit: I also put similar sheilds on my 3d model last week and there was an improvement! though they look more like the BMW ones)
Take a look at the before and after pictures. You can see just before the upper front wishbone there is a small snorkle. Could this be Merc's own version of a driver operated valve? Or is this purely for cooling? Merc might not have a full length shark fin but this could also be used to modify flow to the diffuser?

gluon
gluon

That's exactly what I've asked in the previous post hehe.

I believe it's just for cooling the cockpit. If you notice, the place for the intake is already present in the old car as well but it's closed with a cap.

ringo

wing flaps also seem to be cable operated, the motors may be mounted in the nose.

Or could it just be a linkage for support?
For Sure!!

Blackout

The motor is mounted on the main wing.

zgred

To hot in Merc?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Zgred

on the shot but further back on the car the Mercedes appears to have a smoothed and then flipped section thats just by the shark fin...any one seen that before???
More could have been done.
David Purley

zgred

This You mean?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Yes, not the black flap, but the silver section directly under the fin.

That wasnt there before, I think.....
David Purley

Raptor22
Raptor22

ringo wrote:wing flaps also seem to be cable operated, the motors may be mounted in the nose.

Or could it just be a linkage for support?
not its the front adjuster. The stepper motor is mounted in the main wing element. They only use one and connect the wing elements with bell cranks and rods inside the wing.

some are dead sure the steppers are mounted in the wing end plates but that may be for very few of the cars.
Most are mounting the mechanism in the main wing.

Seems Michael is still not happy with his car. Too much understeer.Its wrecking his rhythm and timing.
Rosberg very happy with his car. Loves the understeer.

I think Michael is going to have a bit of a miserable weekend with the car. The team have still not fixed the understeer for this GP, hence the long face.

They have some new mechanical bits coming for Australia which should help Schumey get to grips (pardon the pun) with the Merc more.
Have not seen him this unhappy since 2005.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

New Mechanical bits????

Share??? :D
David Purley

segedunum
segedunum

gluon wrote:
dren wrote:Who knows how much fuel the Ferrari and Red Bull had though. Their longer stint times looked quicker, but there is no way those two cars are 1s+ quicker than the Mclaren and Mercedes cars.
You're right.
It looks like you're both wrong.

PlatinumZealot

Isn't Schumacer supposed to be the most adaptable driver? What happened? Old age? :lol: I think he needs a few more races under his belt to get up to speed. This new Mercedes seems to be a funny car.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

raymondu999

I think he didn't adapt to aging? :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

n smikle wrote:Isn't Schumacer supposed to be the most adaptable driver? What happened? Old age? :lol: I think he needs a few more races under his belt to get up to speed. This new Mercedes seems to be a funny car.
Compared to Massa- Alonso, he looks even better:
Alonso -Massa : +0.366
Schumi -Rosberg:+0.283
And he had a 3 years break, Alonso didn't... :roll:

roost89
roost89

Q3 or Q2 times?

Q2 times are the real shoot-out times, as last year. They're balancing conservation of tyres and speed in Q3. like balancing Fuel and speed last year.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green