Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
roost89
roost89

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

myurr wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Hamiltons tyres will be shot by lap 5 mark my words.
Okay, your words are marked. Care to revise them?
Hamilton drives a Mercedes? Woah, news to me :wink:
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

wesley123
wesley123

roost89 wrote:
myurr wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Hamiltons tyres will be shot by lap 5 mark my words.
Okay, your words are marked. Care to revise them?
Hamilton drives a Mercedes? Woah, news to me :wink:
guess what lays in the mclarens back?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

segedunum
segedunum

myurr wrote:Okay, your words are marked. Care to revise them?
No, I wouldn't. If you believe various estimates then McLaren were making about 0.4 of a second per lap with straight line speed. They were lucky that they were at a circuit where they can make up that time with the advantage they have there and didn't need to work their tyres too much to get the grip they would otherwise have needed. I don't think anyone predicted that mainly because of the variables involved.

However, when they do need to lean on the tyres and use what little downforce they have to make up time, and that's exactly what happened in qualifying, the car is still plain awful. At tracks without straights long enough to make up time then I don't give much for their chances.

As for being on-topic, Mercedes weren't as bad as I thought. It certainly looks a fair bit more drivable than the McLaren. They just need more development, more parts and more downforce as they have something to work with.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Myurr

Did you lose money on my prediction?
I wont revise it at all, The McLaren is harder on tyre than Mercedes. Simples.
Im not a pitlane expert, so tyre degredation was marginal, MANY said it wouldnt be including Bridgestone engineers.
And did you actually give me credit for my earlier prediction?
The important bit were the Ferraris waited for the Red Bull to fail???
More could have been done.
David Purley

Blackout

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Evil twin: you said something like this a couple of weeks ago : If renault is faster tha mercedes, I will eat my hat...
Yes renault was faster in this race in Bahrein =D>
We will see in the next races... i think you will eat your hat.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Blackout are you for real?

Mercedes 5 and 6 Where are Renault?
More could have been done.
David Purley

Afterburner

Mercedes best lap times are too far from front runners, when i saw they were using flow viz paint i suspected but now it's clear they have a hill to climb to reach front runners.

Blackout

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Blackout are you for real?

Mercedes 5 and 6 Where are Renault?
J.E.T you are you for real ? are you that superficial ? I'm not talking about the final result; that's bullshit, I'm talking about the pace. Kubica was a bit faster than both Mercedes. (except in the last laps; he did 37 laps with the hard tires and damaged the fist tires because of the spin in the first corner)
So the result and the best times don't show the reality. the pace does. :mrgreen:

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

So uh, they start issuing points based on fastest race lap now?

WhiteBlue

Afterburner wrote:Image

Mercedes best lap times are too far from front runners, when i saw they were using flow viz paint i suspected but now it's clear they have a hill to climb to reach front runners.
Michael's race pace could have been higher if he had qualified ahead of Nico. He urgently needs to find quali pace which is a problem with the new front tyres. The 2010 racing format favors qualifying speed over race pace, so the qualifying specalists are in a good position.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

marcush.
marcush.

quite remarkable that indeed Michael schumachers predictions were honest and spot on,
right?
He saif weeks ago that he feels Ferrari and RB are the ones to beat and he sees himself in a second group having to catch up...
whereas Rosberg fancied to be in the running for Racewins already...and still hoped for pole as he admitted in post qualy interview with RTL after saturday free practise...

djones
djones

marcush. wrote:quite remarkable that indeed Michael schumachers predictions were honest and spot on,
right?
He saif weeks ago that he feels Ferrari and RB are the ones to beat and he sees himself in a second group having to catch up...
whereas Rosberg fancied to be in the running for Racewins already...and still hoped for pole as he admitted in post qualy interview with RTL after saturday free practise...
He also sees himself faster than MS - something which I cant help but feel is going to change from the next race onwards.

It will be a good learning curve for him but saying he is going to be winning etc from the start shows the delusions he has built up in his head.

marcush.
marcush.

+1
he just put a tad too much pressure on himself I guess
whereas MS set absolutely spoton his achievable targets for race one plus already confirming that he is sure of competing for the title in the end.
I have no reason to doubt that .Oh,wait a minute... Vettel permitting...

Raptor22
Raptor22

nice honest assessment of Schumacher's current situation. Sort of how I've always viewed the guy.

Indeed rosberg clearly thought the advantage he thought he had over winter testing has not borne out.
Very clearly the Mercedes team still has some work to do.

Now beyond stating the obvious, the handling is still not anywhere near Schumacher wants it for he needs to extract from the tyres.

beyond this, i think these tyre rules are malarkey! Having to look after tyres the way they currently have to is utter BS. No one wants to race.

These FOTA proposals are utter crap I hope FOTA goes the way of FOCA quickly.

segedunum
segedunum

Raptor22 wrote:beyond this, i think these tyre rules are malarkey! Having to look after tyres the way they currently have to is utter BS. No one wants to race.
The only pleasing thing from yesterday was that all of the teams seemed to be very cautious about the tyres, and that caution didn't seem warranted. Red Bull in particular seemed to be rather paranoid about being steady and not stressing their tyres when there was probably more speed to be had. The Bahrain circuit is also crap.