2014 Spanish Grand Prix - Barcelona

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
rayden
rayden

Re: 2014 Spanish Grand Prix - Barcelona

mnmracer wrote: Like I said, I am interested in seeing that substantiated. We've seen in Bahrain that if Alonso's car isn't working probably, he's also suddenly half a second slower than Kimi. I'm not sure what basis you have to say than that Alonso would score big in a non-functioning car, when it's clear not even he can.

Fact is that Vettel was 7 tenths faster than Ricciardo in Q1.
Fact is that Vettel had build a 6.5 second gap to Ricciardo during the race prior to MGU-K harvesting problems.
Your sounding like a webber fan now :P
No need for the excuses.

Sebastian said himself after china that Daniel is legitimately out performing him at the moment.
I'm sure he will be back to his best soon though.

mnmracer
mnmracer

rayden wrote:
mnmracer wrote: Like I said, I am interested in seeing that substantiated. We've seen in Bahrain that if Alonso's car isn't working probably, he's also suddenly half a second slower than Kimi. I'm not sure what basis you have to say than that Alonso would score big in a non-functioning car, when it's clear not even he can.

Fact is that Vettel was 7 tenths faster than Ricciardo in Q1.
Fact is that Vettel had build a 6.5 second gap to Ricciardo during the race prior to MGU-K harvesting problems.
Your sounding like a webber fan now :P
No need for the excuses.

Sebastian said himself after china that Daniel is legitimately out performing him at the moment.
I'm sure he will be back to his best soon though.
Is it making excuses to say that Hamilton had mechanical issues in Australia and Rosberg beat him on the score board? Is it making excuses to say that Alonso had mechanical issues in Bahrain qualifying and Räikkönen beat him on the score board?
I'm just stating facts.

And no one is arguing that Daniel was faster than Sebastian in China.

turbof1

Sometimes it's mere confidence - a driver thinks his chassis isn't 100%, even if it is, and he doesn't think he can push to the limit. A new chassis usually restores the confidence.

I personally don't know if his chassis was cracked or not, but vettel will get some sort of fresh start in barcelona.
#AeroFrodo

raymondu999

IMO it's just that Vettel is taking sweet time to adjust his style. Like IMO he did in 2010 and Webber adapted to the car by Barcelona and it took Vettel an additional 3 races to do so. Once Vettel did that successfully by Valencia, he returned to outperforming Webber. Funnily enough it seems that Valencia seems to be the place where Vettel adapts the quickest - Vettel's non-fans should rejoice it's no longer on the calendar.

In 08 Ascanelli said Vettel discovered the appropriate driving style for F1... in 2010 he found the appropriate style for 2010/2011... in 2012 that was the first race Vettel "returned to power" as it were.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Juzh

Not sure where you're getting this "vettel was slow to adapt in 2010" thing.? Poles and then certain victories slipped trough his fingers on account pf reliability. when vet was given new chassis in turkey he was again quicker than webber only to have rear anti roll bar failure in q3. Web was then nowhere in the race on pace.

mnmracer
mnmracer

turbof1 wrote:Sometimes it's mere confidence - a driver thinks his chassis isn't 100%, even if it is, and he doesn't think he can push to the limit.
mere confidence?
someone should tell the teams that.

George-Jung
George-Jung

turbof1 wrote:Sometimes it's mere confidence - a driver thinks his chassis isn't 100%, even if it is, and he doesn't think he can push to the limit. A new chassis usually restores the confidence.
Than you could also hand him the old chassis, label it as the new chassis and wait for the placebo-effect to happen..

turbof1

George-Jung wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Sometimes it's mere confidence - a driver thinks his chassis isn't 100%, even if it is, and he doesn't think he can push to the limit. A new chassis usually restores the confidence.
Than you could also hand him the old chassis, label it as the new chassis and wait for the placebo-effect to happen..
That's actually not a bad idea!

For the record, I'm not claiming if Vettel's chassis is cracked or not. I do remember that Grosjean at one time was in that position. He got a new chassis and he started to drive better. Later on the team concluded there was nothing wrong with his original chassis.
#AeroFrodo

mnmracer
mnmracer

turbof1 wrote:
George-Jung wrote:
That's actually not a bad idea!

For the record, I'm not claiming if Vettel's chassis is cracked or not. I do remember that Grosjean at one time was in that position. He got a new chassis and he started to drive better. Later on the team concluded there was nothing wrong with his original chassis.
Whether the chassis is cracked or not has nothing to do with actual additional malfunctions in the previous races. If the chassis ends up not being cracked, his car was still malfunctioning in half the races.

bhall
bhall

Who'd have thought solid, well-functioning machinery would play such a big role in a driver's chances for success? I, for one, am shocked.

Shocked, I tell you!

:D

turbof1

mnmracer wrote: Whether the chassis is cracked or not has nothing to do with actual additional malfunctions in the previous races. If the chassis ends up not being cracked, his car was still malfunctioning in half the races.
It's not solely other non-structural malfunctions though. If that was the case and Vettel was constantly plagued by some or other car issue we wouldn't even be discussing the chassis now. Clearly Ricciardo has the upperhand, even when Vettel doesn't have any clear car issues.

It's either a lack of confidence, or a structural issue to the car.
#AeroFrodo

Kiril Varbanov

George-Jung wrote:
Pardon the off-topic, that was the case when Kimi was young back in his kart days with his father. He has had steering preferences ever since then, so his father once told him he had replaced the steering rack altogether overnight, and on the next day Kimi kicked as$ with the 'new' one, while praising his dad's good job. His father hasn't changed anything...

Aside from that, we shall hear from Vettel himself whether chassis change was any good or not. He has been very vocal this season.

MercedesAMGSpy

I personally don't know if his chassis was cracked or not, but vettel will get some sort of fresh start in barcelona.
I disagree. Hamilton and Vettel, two world champions, know when something isn't right. Actually Hamilton was right, Mercedes found two large cracks in the car after he told them to check the car/chassis. The placebo-effect is a popular one, but it doesn't mean it has always to do with confidence.

NathanOlder

mnmracer wrote: Is it making excuses to say that Hamilton had mechanical issues in Australia and Rosberg beat him on the score board? Is it making excuses to say that Alonso had mechanical issues in Bahrain qualifying and Räikkönen beat him on the score board?
I'm just stating facts.

And no one is arguing that Daniel was faster than Sebastian in China.
No one is saying anything about excuses , Its plain simple facts, So far we have had 20 sessions.

Ham 12 7 Ros. (1 session neither driver set a time)
Ric 13 7 Vet
Alo 15 5 Rai

And like someone said, Vettel has said that Ricciardo is out performing him
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

mnmracer
mnmracer

turbof1 wrote:
mnmracer wrote: Whether the chassis is cracked or not has nothing to do with actual additional malfunctions in the previous races. If the chassis ends up not being cracked, his car was still malfunctioning in half the races.
It's not solely other non-structural malfunctions though. If that was the case and Vettel was constantly plagued by some or other car issue we wouldn't even be discussing the chassis now. Clearly Ricciardo has the upperhand, even when Vettel doesn't have any clear car issues.

It's either a lack of confidence, or a structural issue to the car.
You keep repeating this, but you're not substantiating it. Considering Vettel was ahead in roughly 2/3rds of all the laps both drivers were without issue, there is nothing clear about it, so would you please elaborate.