2017 F1 engine dream configs

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Re: 2017 F1 engine dream configs

Would your "carbon footprint '' extend to accountability for all the processes expended in producing
the engine & systems, from ore through metallurgical-machining & collateral integration?

Would the winner of a quantity survey research proposal get FIA approval make their design in hard-copy?
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

dren

powertrain wrote:Personally I think the engine size is just about right with turbo and stored
Energy From the recovery systems is adequate. I the fuel flow is the only impractical thing in its whole layout. today we've got possibly the best high performance engines in the world equipped with duel energy recovery systems. All these Powertrains need is the fuel flow altered as think these engines are the future of F1.
I like the fuel flow limit. It directly promotes efficiency. The race fuel limit needs to go.
Honda!

Brian.G
Brian.G

If in charge I would bring back v10s and divide whatever the going development/manufacturing budget is/was by ten and see how everyone gets on.

Brian,
If you think you cant, you wont, If you think you can, you will

tuj
tuj

I like the fuel flow limit. It directly promotes efficiency. The race fuel limit needs to go.
That means refueling, which the FIA has taken a dim view of, at least from pressurized rigs.

wuzak
wuzak

tuj wrote:
That means refueling, which the FIA has taken a dim view of, at least from pressurized rigs.
No, it doesn't.

Refuelling would still be banned. The teams could use 100kg or 200kg during the race if they want.

tuj
tuj

wuzak: I'd be cool with that, that is similar to what I proposed earlier. Any config, no fuel flow limit, no min or max fuel load.

Nicholas Spillett
Nicholas Spillett

J.A.W. wrote:Would your "carbon footprint '' extend to accountability for all the processes expended in producing
the engine & systems, from ore through metallurgical-machining & collateral integration?

Would the winner of a quantity survey research proposal get FIA approval make their design in hard-copy?
Nah, just start simple IMO. Find out what the carbon output of 150kg of fuel is, round it to a nice easy to remember number and you're done.

Don't include engine building or chassis, just the fuel - and ensure teams don't bypass by pre-charging batteries, etc. Also set a per-engine cost limit to help smaller manufacturers. Of course the larger manufacturers will funnel money into the engine makers through other means, but as long as the cost is set the smaller teams will survive at least.

Some teams/engine builders can tout their super efficient designs and others can go pure power. We get an awesome mix of brutal power machines and efficient future tech. F1 becomes relevant again - not in the artificial sense like now but in the sense that it was platform that first saw the turbo engine and so many other advancements.

This current situation is stagnation. There are advancements of course, but we will never see glimpses of the future like there once was, simply what's achievable with current tech when you can spend a quadrillion dollars per engine. It's pathetic really.

ChrisM40
ChrisM40

It seems to me that a lot of the 'dream' configurations here are more technical and nerdy dreams than racing fan dreams. Most of the fans ive talked to are irritated by the fuel flow limits and say to hell with 'efficiency', and fuel saving. F1 is really just a series of cars unable to be driven to their maximum extent, its almost become a commute, not a race.

Ditch the fuel limits, let them race, the weight of the fuel and the size of the tanks will give a far more natural limitation, than fuel flow regs.

wuzak
wuzak

ChrisM40 wrote:It seems to me that a lot of the 'dream' configurations here are more technical and nerdy dreams than racing fan dreams. Most of the fans ive talked to are irritated by the fuel flow limits and say to hell with 'efficiency', and fuel saving. F1 is really just a series of cars unable to be driven to their maximum extent, its almost become a commute, not a race.

Ditch the fuel limits, let them race, the weight of the fuel and the size of the tanks will give a far more natural limitation, than fuel flow regs.
The fuel tak size/weight of fuel is what promotes fuel saving, not the fuel flow limit.

What you propose will promote the thing you wish to stop.

gruntguru
gruntguru

I think he means unlimited tank size and fuel quantity. The mass will slow the cars if the engines are too thirsty.
je suis charlie

gruntguru
gruntguru

ChrisM40 wrote:Most of the fans ive talked to are irritated by the fuel flow limits and say to hell with 'efficiency', and fuel saving.
All mates of yours then are they?
je suis charlie

ChrisM40
ChrisM40

gruntguru wrote: All mates of yours then are they?
Just non geek race fans from a variety of sources. They are fed up with hearing about saving fuel modes and drivers unable to push or you know, race, because they have none or are saving it back for any number of calculated possible theoretical scenarios that the nerds have worked out that may or may not happen later. True, its always been like that to some degree, but it now seems exponentially worse and the reasons are artificial.

Stop the team interfering with fuel usage, no fuel level telemetry, let the driver decide how he wants to use it, as long as the driver has fuel usage readouts that should be sufficient, after all thats part of driving. They can then decide if the want to go flat out or not at any given time, themselves.

Rhodium

V10 Atmo 1000 hp, 30 000 rmp max, with traction control.

boring to see F1 slow in corner and tired to hear this noise...

for me...

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Rhodium wrote:V10 Atmo 1000 hp, 30 000 rmp max, with traction control.

boring to see F1 slow in corner and tired to hear this noise...

for me...
A couple of notable quotes - from those in the know - may be apropos in relation here..

1, "Tell him he's dreamin'!"
&,
2, "Och laddie, ye cannae change the laws o' physics!"
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Rhodium

i'm sorry, but my english is really bad.

i don't understand your answer.