New race weekend format 2021

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Wouter

Re: New race weekend format 2021

Morteza wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 15:52

Thank you Wouter :)

Those AMGs look fantastic in red. Basically got a new life from this color =D>
On the other hand I never liked Aston's new designs, but hey that's just me :wink:
I don't like that Aston either, because of that big, wide grill/grate in the front.
Looks like a really big open mouth. :)

The Power of Dreams!

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

Looks nice, looking forward to seeing the AM in action. Wonder if they'll get the rainbow treatment again like last year.

Wouter

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 16:33
Looks nice, looking forward to seeing the AM in action. Wonder if they'll get the rainbow treatment again like last year.

Do you see a rainbow on this years cars? :wink: :)

The Power of Dreams!

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

Wouter wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 16:52
aMessageToCharlie wrote:

https://autoportal.hr/wp-content/upload ... -Car-2.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ev8KKD3WEAA ... name=large
Not meaning to take this off-topic too much, but:

Do you see a rainbow on the 2020 launch car? :wink: :)

Doesn't mean anything.

Wouter

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 17:34
Wouter wrote:
aMessageToCharlie wrote:

https://autoportal.hr/wp-content/upload ... -Car-2.jpg

https://img.vavel.com/aus-2020-1583934831920.jpg

Doesn't mean anything.

FORMULA 1 HAS DECIDED TO ELIMINATE THE RAINBOW LOGO IN THE #WERACEASONE CAMPAIGN

Formula 1 launched We Race As One last year after the start of the season was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

F1 has provided an update on its #WeRaceAsOne initiative, including confirmation that the rainbow logo has been dropped for 2021.

Formula 1 has provided an update on its #WeRaceAsOne initiative, including confirmation that the rainbow logo has been dropped for 2021.
https://f1lead.com/2021/02/10/formula-1 ... raceasone/
The Power of Dreams!

El Scorchio

Wouter wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 17:52
aMessageToCharlie wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 17:34
Wouter wrote:

https://img.vavel.com/aus-2020-1583934831920.jpg

Doesn't mean anything.

FORMULA 1 HAS DECIDED TO ELIMINATE THE RAINBOW LOGO IN THE #WERACEASONE CAMPAIGN

Formula 1 launched We Race As One last year after the start of the season was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

F1 has provided an update on its #WeRaceAsOne initiative, including confirmation that the rainbow logo has been dropped for 2021.

Formula 1 has provided an update on its #WeRaceAsOne initiative, including confirmation that the rainbow logo has been dropped for 2021.
https://f1lead.com/2021/02/10/formula-1 ... raceasone/
i.e. Rainbows are nice but we love that lovely sponsorship dough more....

Wouter

Formula 1 has elected to reduce its use of plastic in 2021 with series staff no longer using single-use bottles, and official passes now made from recycled material.

From the first test in Bahrain this weekend, and for all grands prix this year, F1's official staff will not be able to use single-use plastic bottles.

Instead, F1 has arranged for more water refill stations around the Bahrain circuit, paddock, offices and garages to allow all personnel to refill any water containers.

Furthermore, any remote cameramen and other staff working out on track will be provided with camelback pouches that contain enough water to ensure they are well supplied for the day.

F1 has also eradicated the use of single-use plastic for all its 2021 paddock passes this year. These passes are used by F1, the FIA, teams, media, guests and fans.

The new 2021 credentials, which have been released this week ahead of testing, are made from recycled plastic – with it estimated that 143,275 plastic bottles have been used to create the annual passes.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f1-to ... 1/5637731/

The Power of Dreams!

Trancestor
Trancestor

El Scorchio wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 17:26
So, qualifying on friday (which loads of people will probably now not be able to watch) decides the sprint race grid, and the results of the sprint race decide the sunday grid.

Assuming no ill fortune for anyone on friday or saturday, at best won't this just increase points gaps between the teams and drivers relative to what they are now? If people aren't sick of it now, does anyone want an extra few races with the same results- all i see is more opportunity for the Mercs to have a more comfortable points gap over everyone else- and Red Bull over third etc.

At worst, how harsh is the punishment going to be for getting damage in qualifying or the race now? Presumably if you break down in the sprint race you have to start from the back in the main race. That's now like a double penalty which will cost points on two occasions rather than just one. Same as if you break down in qualifying. You'll be at the back for the sprint and at the very least heavily compromised for the main race as well.

Not even considering the opportunities in sprint races for tactical 'incidental contact' between cars which could have huge ramifications in title battles. i wonder if it'll just mean everyone tiptoes round in a procession on saturday just to finish, in order to not screw up their chances on a sunday. No one is going to go for a risky overtake.

It seems the only real winners are the promoters, who can massively hike up their prices for Friday and Saturday, and the TV companies who can make more money out of Friday now. I don't understand what the gain is meant to be from a sporting or competitive aspect at all.
I think the sprint race thing is just silly. Having two qualys is a poor idea.

To make the new formula serve a purpose the actual sunday starting grid should be a mix of friday + sprint race. Perhaps awarding qualy points for both and setting the sunday order by those points. This would at least serve some purpose. Friday sets the absolute fastest car and saturday sets the best race pace. Best combined performance starts on pole come sunday. Yes, it sounds like "figure out the problem for the solution" but I guess it could at least be defended in principle.

The obvious problem here is we're actually moving some overtakes from the race to the sprint race. Why bother?

Or they could just cheese it and run the sprint race in spec formula E cars. Play the sustainability card and call it a day. That should mix things up a bit. :)

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

jjn9128

#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

jjn9128 wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 20:53
Gary Anderson is pretty scathing of the sprint qualifying race idea. I for one agree with him.
Likewise. Normally not a fan of Anderson's but I agree with what he's written there. The whole idea is riddled with silliness. It will be a bad joke if the titles are decided by an accident in a sprint race that effectively prevents a competitive drive in the full race.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

jjn9128

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 21:00
Likewise. Normally not a fan of Anderson's but I agree with what he's written there. The whole idea is riddled with silliness. It will be a bad joke if the titles are decided by an accident in a sprint race that effectively prevents a competitive drive in the full race.
He can be a bit hit and miss, but unlike other commentators at least he has actual experience.

I don't understand how they think there will be overtaking in the Saturday race when they're lined up in grid order - i.e. fastest to slowest. Add to the fact the spares issue will mean there's doubt going into any potential overtake.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

the EDGE
the EDGE

I have this idea, not because I don’t want sprint races, but because I do not want competitive F1 on Fridays

I love F1, but I already give-up 20something weekends, I’d like at least sometime to work & play

MtthsMlw

Tbh if this ends up not just being a one year trial, it will be very different in its final iteration.
Let's not make it potentially championship deciding by awarding points.
Also not looking forward to be missing out on Quali while being at work.
Last edited by MtthsMlw on 26 Apr 2021, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.

wesley123
wesley123

I seriously wonder who came up with the idea, and I also wonder what the teams got in return for this idea, because the way I see it it benefits absolutely no one.

The risk vs. reward is already named(as in, loads of risk for very little reward), but another aspect is the pace in itself. If a driver is quick enough to overtake a driver in the sprint race, he'll most likely will also be able to do the same thing in the actual race, where it will actually matter.

Due to tire choices, a driver who will be at the back of the grid due to issues in qualifying will also be able to make very little progress.

All in all this change will do nothing but set the field in order of raw pace for the race of sunday, ensuring the main race will be much less eventful.

If there is one part that is absolutely fine in F1, it is qualifying, so why they try and take that away from the working population is anyones guess. Trying to sell more subscriptions, maybe?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender