Renault race-fixing at Singapore 2008

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WhiteBlue

Re: FIA to investigate Alonso's win in Singapore

Shaddock wrote:I have to say that IMO Mr X is Alonso....
That makes no sense. Alonso appeared in the hearing and testified that he did not know anything. He cannot be Mr.X because he would face later punishment if his hypothetical identity with Mr. X would be revealed to the public. The FIA would not be so dumb to allow such a thing. Their reputation would hinge on all parties keeping that secret. We all knowthat Alonso never keeps a secret if he can have an advantage by telling (compare blackmailing Ron Dennis).
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

vall
vall

Shaddock wrote:I have to say that IMO Mr X is Alonso.
I am not sure. When he was first interviewed at Spa, she said he knew nothing about it. If he now says he knew, this means he lied.

vall
vall

vall wrote:
I am not sure. When he was first interviewed at Spa, she said he knew nothing about it. If he now says he knew, this means he lied.
someone mentioned this could be Alonso's race engineer

tarzoon

vall wrote:
vall wrote:
Whoever was, Renault knew quite well which door to knock (there aren't too many options, though). Their action was quite immediate after the whole scandal broke loose.

I don't think it makes sense being Alonso's race engineer - he would let Alonso know about it to keep his trust, while NP Jr, Flav and PS would be letting too many loose ends to the plan. Makes more sense being NPjr's race engineer: these guys work together, so it would be noticeable a change in mood resulting from such a crazy plan.

WhiteBlue

According to the website

Technical director : Bob Bell
Race engineer for Alonso : Simon Rennie
Race engineer for Piquet : Phil Charles

Anyone of those could be Mr. x.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

SZ
SZ

WhiteBlue wrote:I have now listened to the whole audio transcript of the WMSC meeting
Me too.
WhiteBlue wrote:I have come to the conclusion that no reasonable person can have any doubt about the facts as they were put before the counsil. Many questions were asked and the proceedings were made public so if the findings of the counsil were wrong, we would have had a protest from the Renault team members, Briatore or Symmonds by now.
Not necessarily. The team can only lose by protesting so they haven't, Briatore and Symonds' only recourse is the FIA appeals board where they'll face largely the same people and processes. So it's a moot point.
WhiteBlue wrote:So my view is that we should take those submissions as fact until they are challenged by somebody in public.
I'll have a go. I think you've missed a few details.
(I've a summary of the transcript if anyone wants it and doesn't want to listen to the 70+ minutes of it.)
WhiteBlue wrote:To those who still think that Briatore was done harshly I say, get a grip. Read and listen to the testimonies and apply some common sense instead of prejudice.
Well I have listened, I've a good grip (ta) and a decent sense of prejudice. Here are the key points from the testimony that concern Flav.

In the first Steward's report, it's between NP and Symonds, and it's only discussed in Flav's presence. As a result of this, Renault was summoned to the WMSC.

Renault was given an opportunity to investigate, and in their submission - charges not disputed, responsibility accepted and unreserved apology, and reported that PS and Flav were (correctly) removed. Renault accepted a conspiracy between PS and NP. A significant question remained of the degree of involvement of Flav. Renault F1 could not confirm that Flav was a direct conspirator. So on the 16th Sept, Renault states 'it does not matter whether it was a two or three person conspiracy', which is correct - for the purpose of sanction it really doesn't matter - Renault F1 got rid of who knew and did nothing, but couldn't link Flav to the same or greater degree of culpability as PS.

FIA studies this significantly ON THE DAY - disagreed with Renault that 'it did not matter whether it was a two or three person conspiracy'. So we have the first inklings of a direct disagreement with the FIA's own steward's report.

So on the 17th of September - A DAY LATER - Renault makes another submission to the FIA. At this point - and only at this point - Renault makes reference to another individual that whilst not a conspirator, was aware of the plan, and could confirm that Mr Briatore knew of the conspiracy beforehand. The investigative team - now knowing of witness X, not less than a week before the WMSC meeting - decides to interview him/her over the weekend (one and two days before the hearing). Renault is said to have cooperated fully with the FIA in providing X who was 'entirely forthcoming and entirely thruthful'. The FIA believes from X's testimony that Flav knew of the plan ahead of time and that X did, but was not a conspirator. X rejected the conspiracy and sought to distance himself, and has no reason to believe that FA or anyone else at Renault knew about it. At no point in the testimony is it mentioned when X contacted Renault F1's lawyers. If this happened before the 17th, Renault F1 is essentially dishonest - contrary to the basis their sentence was suspended - and should be punished for perverting justice. If on the 16th/17th, it's highly... convenient.

During questioning of Renault F1's lawyer - Mr Malick - someone (inevitably) asks about X, that 'we didn't know anything about - has the FIA had any opportunity to question him'. Max confirms questioned on Saturday morning, and 'the whole story came out'. Someone else says 'well now, we know about X too: why isn't he prepared to be named and what's his role?' Malick - Renault F1's own lawyer - actually hasn't spoken to X himself (!), but that it's really important that X isn't identified. Actually suggests that there's some contention as to whether his contribution was necessary. X isn't 'high up in the echelons' (so how'd he come into the super secret plan?) Max goes on to say anonymity is the greatest encouragement for whistleblowers. Max is pleased to say that he's actually forgotten X's name, and that his position isn't important... that of course his is the evidence that Briatore was involved'. The questioner presses on asking that the position of X is important as it establishes whether or not he was in a position to do somethin to avoid the plan. Malick doesn't answer here - Max takes over! - Max suggests that X was told by Symonds of the plan, and that he should've come to the FIA first.

The FIA concludes from this that 'on the balance of probabilities there was a three person conspiracy between NP, Flav and PS'. Renault subsequently agreed with this.

The FIA is conscious that the Flav denies knowing. The FIA is confident that it's investigations have been thorough. Until the 20th - two days before the council - there's no direct submission in record to the FIA that Flav was involved - but it's clear the FIA was trying - against Renault's own initial findings and prior to being prompted to 'find' whether or not Flav was complicit - to implicate him. Beyond this, a last-minute mystery witness that Flav or his representatives have no recourse to cross examine. NP's submissions were not sufficient to get Flav.

The FIA distances Flav from PS as the latter expresses remorse/regret and that he was complicit, though Pat's letter doesn't mention Flav's involvement at all, nor does he acknowledge the existence of X - legally, anything supporting X being present and privy to this knowledge is pretty sketchy, yet according to Max he's the star witness linking Flav to complicity - but he's not offered anything about Flav's involvement that NP didn't! Just that Flav was present as Symonds was busy hatching a plan.

So on those grounds, if Flav is complicit, so is X - who is X and why aren't they punished? I'm not going to entertain that X doesn't run the team and that Flav does and that as such there's responsibility inherent in leveraging a more severe penalty on Flav - because whilst I'd agree with that much (were complicity conclusively proven), the WMSC's findings don't give this as a reason justifying the severe differences in penalties between Flav and PS, and the logic used to indict Flav serves X's involvement nearly as well. It doesn't justify X not having been penalised or even reprimanded, nor was X offered immunity for testimony. You'd think in knowing about a plan that wrecks at least one very expensive F1 car, could have potentially halted a race and puts lives in danger would require immediate disclosure to the FIA that there's sufficient culpability in not having 'fessed up (what if a driver/marshal/spectator had died? Does the standard change?). But no. The view is selective. X is good enough to convict Flav (on who knows what new grounds), but his role in not assisting to avert some potentially very significant consequences for the sport are neatly skipped. There's a word that describes that, and it's 'bullsh*t'.

Pat and Flav were invited, didn't turn up. They're invited to the FIA court of appeal if they like. However it's common, in court, to let both sides examine evidence. What Flav was supposed to do about X - who he had no access to cross examine, nor any means to formally identify, let alone prepare a defense against when the evidence was taken two days before the WMSC meeting - X is irrefutable only as X is not accessible to Flav. This would quite seriously get laughed out of court, or at the very least adjourned.

- So, WhiteBlue -

As I've stated before - it's more likely Flav was involved than not. It's far more likely he treated NP like sh*t in his time at Renault F1 - the pressures put on NP by Flav are in all probability very real and very sad, and I think he deserves a better shot in F1 and that he's more capable than his outings thus far show (I've posted on this before to much disagreement from many of you). It's well known Flav's an excitable media personality that's prone to a bit of foot in mouth disease at times and partial to weird swimwear. It's known he'd rather tell Max to publicly get stuffed than to write an open letter of contrition.

But it's only his involvement, and the degree of his complicity, that was actually on trial at the WMSC.

And as such it's also very clear from the evidence that he was only - at best - aware of the plan being hatched (allegedly by either NP or PS), and that there's no link to his being a part of it's execution.

Aside from the timing of the super-secret witness appearing being split-second on Renault F1 literally being asked to find something implicating the the third person - highly dubious in itself - Flav gets life on basis of being a general --- compared to five years for PS, who's assumed to have schemed and executed the plan, but wrote a rather nice letter.

To this end, the lowest an intelligent person can say of Flav right now is that his penmanship should have been more astute.

F1 has had more than enough of scandal. As a fan I'm not really interested in whether Flav is innocent or guilty. I want to support the sport generally, and I want to see it just get on with the racing. But this is about as smelly as it gets. X needs to come out with a reliable, irrefutable version of his testimony made public. The fans deserve to see that this sentence is justified, free of politicking and not just another chess game on the FIA's part.

If we get that, and it justifies the actions of the WMSC on Monday, I'll be first in line to say my opinions were incorrect.

Shaddock

vall wrote:
vall wrote:
If it was the race engineer then why not name him? why the secrecy?

Could Alonso's race engineer convince him that going light was the best thing for the race?

Alonso was at the meeting on Monday, but the compelling evidence from X was given at an earlier meeting.

myurr
myurr

SZ - That is by far the best summary of the evidence I've seen, so thank you for taking the time to write that up. I too think that whilst Flav is no doubt a dodgy piece of work, this whole case has been all about Max, his personal vendettas and politics.

andartop
andartop

It all makes sense now.

Mr X is Flavio!
:shock:
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

PlatinumZealot

we will never be sure who Mr. X is...

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

WhiteBlue

SZ, as you have agreed with the culpability of Briatore by being the responsible person and knowing of the plan I don't see much point to go into the detail of your essay. Let me just say that I see his down fall mainly being caused by two points.

His boss decided after receiving Mr.X's testimony to abandon the defense (he previously took legal action together with Briatore against the Piquets) and fire both his highest directors. That points to a very substantial and credible testimony or Bernard Rey would not have made such a sharp U-turn. All the sudden Renault took the opposite stance from before. I find it completely credible that they were running their own investigation and finally found a person who had known the dirt all along but was too much afraid to talk. The contact with Renault's investigator must have convinced him that he would be protected against Briatore, hence the late coming forward of that witness. I find it much less credible that the FIA suddenly increased the pressure on Renault and that this should have caused the rethink. Why should Mosley do such a thing in the last minute? He had all the time of the world to squeeze Rey for three weeks and Ray did not budge. It is much more likely that Rey was under pressure from Goshn all the time who did not want the negative PR. So when he finally came across an independant person who wasn't implicated and was likely to tell the truth without an agenda he changed his mind.

Briatore did not confess and did not show up in Paris. If he were innocent against all evidence of Symmonds, Piquet and Mr.X and the victim of a conspiracy against him, he would surely use such an opportunity to protect his name and reject the accusations.

This must have convinced most people to punish Breatore as they did.

Ray

Unidentified witness, Flav not allowed to defend himself, whole affair started by an underperforming and disgruntled employee, and Junior getting off scot-free and you guys think NASCAR is a joke? :lol: Please. The FIA is headhunting, and they've only started lopping them off. This had nothing to do with race fixing, cheating, or anything other than the FIA taking out people that threatened their totalitarian powers.

WhiteBlue

Ray wrote:... Flav not allowed to defend himself...
How do you arrive at that conclusion? Briatore had an invitation to stand before the WMSC same as the drivers. He turned it down. His choice - now he should be man enough to take the penalty. End of issue!

Steven
Owner

Ray wrote:Unidentified witness, Flav not allowed to defend himself, whole affair started by an underperforming and disgruntled employee, and Junior getting off scot-free and you guys think NASCAR is a joke? :lol: Please. The FIA is headhunting, and they've only started lopping them off. This had nothing to do with race fixing, cheating, or anything other than the FIA taking out people that threatened their totalitarian powers.
I have listened to the whole WMSC sound recording and am on your side Ray. Pat Symonds has written that the idea came from Nelson Piquet, and he regretted accepting the suggestion of crashing. Flavio is likely to be less involved, albeit maybe by pressuring Piquet Jr. , but in the end Piquet gained from the crash.

I cannot seriously understand how they can ban Flavio for life, and surely not when relating to driver management. It is totally incorrect to me, totally...

Ray

WhiteBlue wrote:
Ray wrote:... Flav not allowed to defend himself...
How do you arrive at that conclusion? Briatore had an invitation to stand before the WMSC same as the drivers. He turned it down. His choice - now he should be man enough to take the penalty. End of issue!
What would be the point? He was already sacked, and the 'cards' were stacked very much against him. The WMSC and the FIA already had their verdict I'm sure of it, that what I meant about 'not allowed to defend himself'. He'd already been fired from Renault and I'd be willing to bet he knew the anvil would fall at that hearing him being present or not. For cripessake, Junior is the one who suggested that the whole thing go off in the first place! Better to just wash his hands clean of all this crap and go enjoy his new child.
Last edited by Ray on 23 Sep 2009, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.