McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
chepoi
chepoi

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Caerdroia wrote:
ScarbsF1 Twitter wrote:McLaren Exhausts: Quite clearly seen at the back (Arrows to help you! lol) http://yfrog.com/h6kvluj

i got one question...

i'm not an engineer but i wondering about this......
if they can switch the air through f-duct last year but banned this year... is it possible under the 2011 regulations that they can do the same for the exhaust? i mean... that they can switch the exhaust gas either from front or rear or both together during the race.... means that the got the exhaust both at the front and the rear at the same time?

i feel that McLaren might be test on this..... may be...

delacf

I think that's a temperature sensor for tires. Do not look at the square, look at the inner circle.

Well. This is said Mr. Richard Feynman.

Regards,

delacf
Last edited by delacf on 10 Feb 2011, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.

Shrieker

chepoi wrote:
i got one question...

i'm not an engineer but i wondering about this......
if they can switch the air through f-duct last year but banned this year... is it possible under the 2011 regulations that they can do the same for the exhaust? i mean... that they can switch the exhaust gas either from front or rear or both together during the race.... means that the got the exhaust both at the front and the rear at the same time?

i feel that McLaren might be test on this..... may be...

I might have seen it on the Renault topic (not sure), but doesn't the rule book say you can have one pair of exhaust exits only ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

timbo
timbo

Shrieker wrote:but doesn't the rule book say you can have one pair of exhaust exits only ?
One pair and no variable geometry.

feynman
feynman

So you are saying, stick one out the back and one out the front. :P

Also the fluidic switch doesn't change geometry, surely gotta be a way to wangle some of that f-duct technology into a variable, switchable blown floor.

timbo
timbo

feynman wrote:Also the fluidic switch doesn't change geometry, surely gotta be a way to wangle some of that f-duct technology into a variable, switchable blown floor.
If it is passive (ie no driver input) than I think it would be legal.
But good like designing passive system that reliably work at all throttle inputs.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I can't help but think that McLaren's thinking around the -26 is to go for a low drag car which can then carry lots of wing as required. In effect I wonder if they're working on the theory that the car might not be as quick as e.g. the RB7 in the corners but will be the fastest thing in a straight line even with the adjustable rear wing. In effect, I wonder if they've designed the car to partly offset the result of the other car using its rear wing.

Just an odd thought I've been having.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

feynman
feynman

timbo wrote:If it is passive (ie no driver input) ...
I dunno, I'd prefer to go for something active ... run an inlet, vented through the steering column, closed when straight, open when turning, (obviously don't let the Williams welders near it), use that as the control input for your fluidic switch, and switch on or off any drag inducing downforce generation by switching the exhaust flow on or off (ie switch it off on the straights, turn it on during a corner).

What they gonna do, ban steering wheels?

I think there is still enough gray area in the rules about what is and isn't movable for someone eventaully to figure out a really cute stunt.

They closed off the f-duct rearwing slot, but I am still hoping someone somewhere comes up with a way to twist a gurney flap based on f-duct logic.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I don't think there will be too much of a difference in characteristics between different exhaust solutions to warrant installing both and a switching device.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

chepoi
chepoi

timbo wrote:
Shrieker wrote:but doesn't the rule book say you can have one pair of exhaust exits only ?
One pair and no variable geometry.
the word "pair" means that it is not one... a pair means it must be a couple.... if one at front and one at rear ... can we called it a pair of exhaust? One pair of exhaust is a different meaning from the meaning of the word one exhaust..... isn't it?

of that so... that clause of regulation still got a loop hole to manipulate.... IMO... :?

Shrieker

chepoi wrote: if one at front and one at rear ... can we called it a pair of exhaust?
That -by all means- makes a pair in my books :) Though -to me- such a solution (one exit at the front, one at the back) wouldn't make sense from an aerodynamic pov. Then again idk much(anything) about aero so... Probably I'm wrong lol. Any ideas about that ??
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Richard
Richard

That looks like duct tape has been be patched on there. We'll not see the final version until Bahrain.

Also, some of the pics show a decent amount of undercut aournd the bottom of the pods, as well as the trough on top. Do they have magic mini radiators?

timbo
timbo

richard_leeds wrote:Also, some of the pics show a decent amount of undercut aournd the bottom of the pods, as well as the trough on top. Do they have magic mini radiators?
Can you show specific pictures?
I see undercut at the frontal area, but all in all in the frontal view the outer edge of sidepods is vertical.

eddie
eddie

If you look at the below image just below the Vodafone sign on the sidepod you notice a distinct seam/step. Looks like lots of scope to make the undercuts large....maybe they are large already with a filler plate :)

myurr
myurr

Think I've worked it out... It's not a tube at all - it's an IR camera looking at the front tyres. Hence the duct tape. The channeling of air into the 'duct' is in fact just a way to create a clear line of sight.