Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Slavenowsky
Slavenowsky

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

About new short nose Allison say: "Not ultra short. Due to special chassis layout we would not be able to pass crashtest. For me new nose could look like this:

This is my vision of the short nose , which looks good visually :) , but technically I do not know how it is functional. Somehow this current long nose looks awkward and obviously suits Ferrari, but it would be nice to see a shorter version, something like this :)

poolboy67

...no.
i have dyslexia and english is not my native language. please be gentle.

n04h f1
n04h f1

Slavenowsky wrote:About new short nose Allison say: "Not ultra short. Due to special chassis layout we would not be able to pass crashtest. For me new nose could look like this:

http://s23.postimg.org/gawn1d5ff/sf2.jpg

This is my vision of the short nose , which looks good visually :) , but technically I do not know how it is functional. Somehow this current long nose looks awkward and obviously suits Ferrari, but it would be nice to see a shorter version, something like this :)
Maybe it's just me, but it looks more awkward than the current nose.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Slavenowsky wrote:About new short nose Allison say: "Not ultra short. Due to special chassis layout we would not be able to pass crashtest. For me new nose could look like this:

http://s23.postimg.org/gawn1d5ff/sf2.jpg

I actually like the look. Whether that will meet the cross section area rule I'm not sure.

bhall II
bhall II

giantfan10 wrote:i dont know why the mercedes nose is percieved as the standard....
I don't know why you think anyone here made such a claim. ;)

giantfan10
giantfan10

bhall II wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:i dont know why the mercedes nose is percieved as the standard....
I don't know why you think anyone here made such a claim. ;)
the photos......who is to say that williams doesnt have a better nose?

bhall II
bhall II

Those photos aren't associated with any qualitative statements whatsoever, either explicit or implied.

Start here and work your way forward. All will become clear.

George-Jung
George-Jung

The shorter the nose, the less it influences the front wing.. as I have already heard a couple of times.
Not sure if it will be better for the Ferrari though.. but time will tell

FW17

George-Jung wrote:
The shorter the nose, the less it influences the front wing.. as I have already heard a couple of times.
Ferrari could still use last years design structure if they feel there is a benefit to short nose.

Not sure of how much of an influence it will have as the central section of the wing is a control member which is aero neutral.

f300v10
f300v10

Image of the 2015 Ferrari engine. The exhaust and intercooler are removed. You can see they followed Mercedes with the triangular stiffiner on top of the cylinder heads, though they cast it as part of the head vs. the Mercedes design. This wasn't possible in 2014 with the wrapped exhaust.

Image via AMUS:

evered7
evered7

A kind request to people posting pictures and analyzing them: Please put an arrow mark against the part you are describing to make it identifiable to the ones with lesser technical knowledge. It might help the likes of myself get what is being talked about in a clear manner.

I wish to use this forum to get more knowledge on how F1 works technically but sometimes it is difficult to comprehend without identifying the part.

TIA!

MercedesAMGSpy

George-Jung wrote:
Also Red Bull is putting a lot of effort in introducing a shorter nose, so I think that's the way to go and Ferrari will follow the same path.

PlatinumZealot

evered7 wrote:A kind request to people posting pictures and analyzing them: Please put an arrow mark against the part you are describing to make it identifiable to the ones with lesser technical knowledge. It might help the likes of myself get what is being talked about in a clear manner.

I wish to use this forum to get more knowledge on how F1 works technically but sometimes it is difficult to comprehend without identifying the part.

TIA!
I agree somewhat, but you have to do some work too. Getting the photo, firing up MS paint or photoshop to edit then to upload again to the web takes some time. Maybe better descriptions is what is needed.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

turbof1

MercedesAMGSpy wrote:
George-Jung wrote:
Also Red Bull is putting a lot of effort in introducing a shorter nose, so I think that's the way to go and Ferrari will follow the same path.
You can't compare Mercedes philosophy with the Ferrari philosophy concerning nose aero, you simply can't. Both handle the airflow in a completely different way. Mercedes probably only can be compared to Lotus in that regard. It's not even comparable to Williams, even though both are as short as noses can get.

Which of course does not reduce Bhall II's comparison post. He compared how you can structurally change from one nose to another. It's quite the elephant in the room, but his post never was about the aero, but the shaping of the bulkhead and how it influences the nose length.

Regardless of aero performance, which nobody really can say which one is better, Ferrari will not move to a mercedes-like nose simply it would require a huge change in the aero structures around the car. A switch to a Williams-like nose however is much more viable. Toro Rosso did it, after all.
#AeroFrodo

evered7
evered7

PlatinumZealot wrote:
evered7 wrote:A kind request to people posting pictures and analyzing them: Please put an arrow mark against the part you are describing to make it identifiable to the ones with lesser technical knowledge. It might help the likes of myself get what is being talked about in a clear manner.

TIA!
I agree somewhat, but you have to do some work too. Getting the photo, firing up MS paint or photoshop to edit then to upload again to the web takes some time. Maybe better descriptions is what is needed.
Thank you! I agree with you if putting an arrow mark is indeed difficult for each picture. Maybe better description of the part is the way to go. However for small differences, I see some of the posters use arrows to indicate change or identify the part they are analyzing, which is hugely helpful.