2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McL-H
McL-H

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

PhillipM wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 17:17
That's motor racing.
If it was the same every year then the running order would never change.
If everyone nailed everything perfectly we'd have a grid of cars all exactly the same shape and pace.

You can be a fan of a team without having the scream the sky is falling any time they drop back slightly. It's honestly like the tribe of so called 'fair weather fans' in football lately around here - it's our amazing team any time they got forward and then 'useless amateurs' the second any other team does something slightly better, it's tedious to read, adds nothing to the discussion, and frankly the people spreading misinformation constantly are outright irritating lately - and I think the amount of people saying similar and that it's becoming like the subreddits they already avoid have a good point, I agree wholeheartedly with that feeling.
Please don't pretend you're better than other people around here and that your opinion is more valuable than that of others. You can agree and disagree, that's what a forum is for. Either make your arguments or don't, but don't put people down just because they may have a different viewpoint than yours or may experience and express their fanaticism differently than you would. The thread is very respectable, there are rarely personal attacks on anyone, just people sharing their thoughts. Some more emotional than others. Some more pessimistic, some more optimistic.

Now claiming that some McLaren fans here are success supporters must be the biggest joke. If they were they'd have changed teams long ago. The team has underperformed for 11 years, with 2021 being a one-off. But people have sticked around because they love the team, believe they can return back to form and want them too. Criticism is there not because of hate, but because people see it is not going well. You can bet the same criticism is shared internally at McLaren and processes are altered to improve in the future. You can pretend all is well, despite the team saying it isn't and the performance on track is clearly reflecting that. I won't say you're delusional. I won't say your optimism irritates me. I just disagree. Maybe you show others the respect to do the same. If you think people are misinformed, try to inform them better. If you think people lack knowledge, share the knowledge you have then. If you dislike the forum, make it better.

PhillipM
PhillipM

When I'm sat here literally exchanging Discord messages with the guy staring at people taking the aluminium tape off the epoxy repair on the winglet, telling me the car will be going back together and be back out in a few minutes.
And we have people at the same time blaming brakes and other issues and claiming the car won't be out the rest of the session, then yes, damn right it's more valuable than others.

I think some of you seriously underestimate how many quality people we used to have from the teams feeding info into this forum that we've lost over the years because they absolutely cannot be bothered with posting here any more.
There's 2-3 guys from Mclaren actively in this thread, and last years, that I've watched get shot down and dismissed and they just stop posting because why bother, they have no responsibility to make the place better, they just have a laugh and walk off and go back to just reading it for some fun.
Last edited by PhillipM on 25 Feb 2023, 18:03, edited 2 times in total.

organic

:D :lol: =D>

Darth-Piekus

I would say to wait a little.Lando Norris is up to good laps. The lap he did before on C3 is very good.

Lucky
Lucky

8-9 speed team. We need to do personnel reprisals. This is a joke, not a Formula 1 team.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

PhillipM wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 18:00
When I'm sat here literally exchanging Discord messages with the guy staring at people taking the aluminium tape off the epoxy repair on the winglet, telling me the car will be going back together and be back out in a few minutes.
And we have people at the same time blaming brakes and other issues and claiming the car won't be out the rest of the session, then yes, damn right it's more valuable than others.
Is there a mic drop emoji on here? 🎤 8)
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Darth-Piekus

Philip are you a mechanic inside the Mclaren F1 team? Just asking out of curiosity

PhillipM
PhillipM

Ground Effect wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 18:03

The worst thing is there's people with far, far more info at hand than me which would could be hearing - that are here and no longer post it - some of the stuff I post is literally just passed on to me in DM's for me to send it instead as a single source - just because they cba to participate any more.
We could have far more info on what was going on and much more info on the planned updates, but the horses have bolted because of the constant petty stuff going on over the years, it's frustrating.

Xero

PhillipM wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 17:17
That's motor racing.
If it was the same every year then the running order would never change.
If everyone nailed everything perfectly we'd have a grid of cars all exactly the same shape and pace.

You can be a fan of a team without having the scream the sky is falling any time they drop back slightly. It's honestly like the tribe of so called 'fair weather fans' in football lately around here - it's our amazing team any time they got forward and then 'useless amateurs' the second any other team does something slightly better, it's tedious to read, adds nothing to the discussion, and frankly the people spreading misinformation constantly are outright irritating lately - and I think the amount of people saying similar and that it's becoming like the subreddits they already avoid have a good point, I agree wholeheartedly with that feeling.
Completely agree.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

PhillipM wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 18:11
Ground Effect wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 18:03

The worst thing is there's people with far, far more info at hand than me which would could be hearing - that are here and no longer post it - some of the stuff I post is literally just passed on to me in DM's for me to send it instead as a single source - just because they cba to participate any more.
We could have far more info on what was going on and much more info on the planned updates, but the horses have bolted because of the constant petty stuff going on over the years, it's frustrating.
That is indeed a shame to hear. Fwiw I massively appreciate the updates/little gems of knowledge. For that you and the others have my thanks 🙏

PhillipM
PhillipM

Darth-Piekus wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 18:09
Philip are you a mechanic inside the Mclaren F1 team? Just asking out of curiosity
I'm not Darth but I had a few friends started working there many years ago and got to know a few more people at the funeral of one of them after a bad crash -and I have a couple other people I knew through Manor/Boothy when they were a feeder for Mclaren. Plus like I said, the odd ones that pass info through here or Discord, because they know me through other people but don't wanna post themselves any more.

All I'm gonna say is the next time you're screaming for someone's head to roll, or insulting them, maybe realise more of them skim here to check photos of other teams than you probably realise, and they're probably exhausted, stressed and aren't too happy to then skim through and find people calling them useless idiots, or that they should be fired. Tends to make them not talk any more.

Jesus even the Mclaren PR team read here, hence the blurring of the floor video for some fun. Especially after the silly stuff last year. They ain't all robots.
Last edited by PhillipM on 25 Feb 2023, 18:17, edited 2 times in total.

mwillems

gcdugas wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 13:34
They should try making the beam wing almost flat like an open DRS. It will speed the air out of the diffuser and not feed air to the low pressure zone under the rear wing.
That wing creates more of low pressure / high pressure differential at the diffuser exit, sucking more air from the diffuser. The whole principle is to get as much air as possible round to the area above the diffuser to have a higher pressure forcing the lower pressure underneath it (Diffuer exit) to try to equalise, which by doing so will mean it will try to take some air pressure from under the car, which creates suction and downforce.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

I would like to make a bold prediction.The car is much better than what people think. I even dare say that Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri will challenge both Mercedes and the Astons.

Emag
Emag

Darth-Piekus wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 18:16
I would like to make a bold prediction.The car is much better than what people think. I even dare say that Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri will challenge both Mercedes and the Astons.
Man I have no idea where you get these predictions from, but whatever. A little (in this case probably a bit too much) optimism is appreciated at this point.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Darth-Piekus wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 18:16
It looks like it's going to be tying around the front of the midfield again, but the problem is so many of the midfield teams have improved, it's only going to take a slight setup change for the entire midfield to change every race, I think we're going to need 3-4 races just to see where the midfield actually is. On the upside just as viewers, we should have some fun races for the first few.