Caterham CT-05 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ben_watkins
ben_watkins

Re: Caterham CT-04 Renault

It's painfully clear the CT05 has major cooling issues, as they've made the sidepods so large.

I can't see this team making much progress this year, which is a real shame.
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

fritticaldi

This car is hideous looking. Someone was right there is a similarity to the Ferrari 312 T4 of 1979. Caterham is The ugly duckling of the paddock. Those sidepods are very high but Caterham could be gambling just to finish in the points as everyone expects high attrition in the first GPs.

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

Seems that it's the only car to have exhaust tilted to the max allowed 5º. Might the "Y" aluminium support allow some adjustment!?

scottracing
scottracing

Very simple rear end design..exposed driveshafts and a simple diffuser setup.
The sidepods can easily be optimised once they have some real data from longer track runs with heat dissapation being a key factor. Be interesting to see how the new wind tunnel improves the aero this year.
Definitely the winner for most intersting wing setup. Looks like a lot more vertical strakes being used to channel the air round the wheels.

rscsr

Could someone please explain, what the different pipes you see in that picture are?

FrukostScones

rude looking car, nothing for the fainthearted 8) :shock: :lol:
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Avocado
Avocado

:lol:

Rhodium

Pilatus wrote:
Rhodium wrote:
Mr.G wrote:No , but I noticed it on Mercedes too, it looks like some new FIA feature :)
yes, i see that for Mercedes too.
can we imagine is a sign for "battery charged" of the KERS ?

Yes we can. :D
thanks friend. :wink:

JDC123
JDC123

I had high hopes for caterham this year but after seeing it so far i am quite disappointed. The front wing is basically the same style as last year apart from slight changes to the endplates and upper flap. The nose, although the most ugly so far does seem like a clever interpretation to the rules. However the sidepods look awfully big and bulky, with virtually no undercut and barely any floor to the sides of them for air to travel along. Air traveling over the sidepods has no way of reaching the floor/diffuser area which considering a lot of air will travel over the sidepods seems ridiculous to shape them this way. I can only hope this is the most reliable car on the grid and the rumors are true their will be mass retirement in the first few race. If not i can sadly see caterham at the back again.

stefan_
stefan_

I just came back from work and I am in a deep shock. This might be one of the ugliest cars in F1 history.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

tim|away
tim|away

CT05 sound

Pandamasque

Sounds a million times better that the V8 did! Wow. Shame that I'll have to watch races with my eyes closed now.

hecti
hecti

From a design stand point, I feel like they are lacking something. Its boxy and unrefined compared to other teams... Last years car looked great (even tho it didnt perform as well as it looked). I hope this was not caused by the lack concorde agreement money from being "out scored" by Marussia
Last edited by hecti on 29 Jan 2014, 01:42, edited 1 time in total.

bill shoe
bill shoe

I like the Caterham nose the best. All the other noses try to curve and blend themselves into being more elegant than they are, and as a result they look quite awkward. In contrast, the Caterham nose is decisively what it is.

FoxHound

Well it seems Caterham are not amused with Renault over the dimensions of the engine.

Apparently the CT05 was due to be unveiled at 8am this morning but the engine would not fit into the chassis! :oops:

http://www.f1today.net/en/news/renault- ... ng-issues?

Mods can we change the name of the thread to the Caterham CT05?
JET set