Pre-silly-season-silliness.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Re: Pre-silly-season-silliness.

chrisc90 wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 20:29
That specsavers tweet is savage! haha!

Piastri should be jumping at the chance TBH. Even getting a seat in F1 is a huge feat and if Alpine are offering it, I would be jumping at it! If he's waiting on a seat at McLaren, then Norris aint going anywhere....and Danny is signed up, unless he gets sacked, but for McLaren, having someone with experience is better than someone with no F1 experience.
I assume if he's going to the length of publicly rejecting Alpine, it will mean he has a seat at Mclaren for 2022. He wouldn't do that if it was at Williams, and if he didn't have a seat prior to Alpines announcement he would definitely take it

fourmula1
fourmula1

This is madness. I have little respect for these tactics. Alonso is doing his own thing, power to him. Zak and Mclaren are also getting it done properly. Everyone else just trying to stay afloat.

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

This is actually very confusing when you think about it. For Piastri to turn down Alpine, he must have a seat confirmed for next year at Mclaren. The negotiations for it must have been going on before Alonso's announcement otherwise he would have just happily taken the Alpine seat. So that would mean Mclaren had already decided to get rid of Ricciardo. Had Vettel not retired, Ricciardo would have probably been left without a seat altogether.

f1jcw
f1jcw

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 20:34
chrisc90 wrote:

Piastri should be jumping at the chance TBH. Even getting a seat in F1 is a huge feat and if Alpine are offering it, I would be jumping at it! If he's waiting on a seat at McLaren, then Norris aint going anywhere....and Danny is signed up, unless he gets sacked, but for McLaren, having someone with experience is better than someone with no F1 experience.
I assume if he's going to the length of publicly rejecting Alpine, it will mean he has a seat at Mclaren for 2022. He wouldn't do that if it was at Williams, and if he didn't have a seat prior to Alpines announcement he would definitely take it
Being rude is not a good idea

chrisc90

The timeline of events is just comical.

Alonso leaves Alpine to join AM
Alpine have no knowledge until the announcement from AM.
Alpine miraculously 'sign' Piastri 32 hours later
Piastri knocks back the 'deal' 2 hours later

Theres probably some things ive missed there too!

Even worse Piastri as Alpine reserve driver!

DChemTech
DChemTech

Now expecting alpine to announce Palou soon...

BosF1
BosF1

So the silly season has exploded in just 2 days. The finishing touch would be McLaren announcing to have signed Ocon as driver for 2023 to replace Ricciardo :lol:

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

f1jcw wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 20:42
BlueCheetah66 wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

Who? Piastri?

He was rude for clarifying that Alpine announced his commitment to the Team without his approval? There was nothing rude on his statement.

BosF1
BosF1

SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 21:01
f1jcw wrote:
BlueCheetah66 wrote:

Who? Piastri?

He was rude for clarifying that Alpine announced his commitment to the Team without his approval? There was nothing rude on his statement.
I'm not sure Alpine agrees with you on this.

I do think it is a correct statement from Piastri as Alpine themselves seem to have jumped the gun on this.

chrisc90

Rumour has it Piastri reserve driver contract ended on the 31st?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

BosF1 wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 21:03
SmallSoldier wrote:
f1jcw wrote:

Who? Piastri?

I do think it is a correct statement from Piastri as Alpine themselves seem to have jumped the gun on this.
I’m sure Alpine probably thinks he is despicable… But the reality is that just this morning Otmar couldn’t confirm Piastri in Alpine for 2023 and tried to guilt trip him into joining the Team (that whole “look at how much we have invested in him from Otmar was completely unnecessary if there was a deal in place)… Instead of having a bit of patience, talking to the driver and trying to figure it out behind the scenes, they issued an statement “announcing” Piastri for 2023… Now, they have publicly been told by a guy that has not even had one practice session in F1 that he doesn’t want to drive for them and they don’t have a plan B in the works to fill the seat.

The only ones looking bad on this whole ordeal are the Alpine leaders.

ME4ME

Shocker if indeed Piastri replaces Ricciardo at Mclaren.

It wasn't long ago that Ricciardo confirmed his commitment to Mclaren and his intent to see out his contract to the end of 2023. It was said that the break-clause option was his, not Mclarens. But there might still be performance clauses, and/or the team simply informing him he is not wanted anymore, regardless of what the contract says. Or moving him to another sport.

Other options?
Red Bull picking Piastri up with a drive at Alpha Tauri next year and a possible championship winning seat at Red Bull after that? Would't be a bad deal. At least Piastri would know that if he performs well he'll end up at a winning team. Neither Mclaren nor Alpine are a top team at the moment. Red Bull Porsche surely doesn't sound too bad, especially if your manager is Webber and has worked for both Red Bull and Porsche.

Outside option: Could Lance Stroll actually be replaced?

f1jcw
f1jcw

BosF1 wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 21:03
SmallSoldier wrote:
f1jcw wrote:

Who? Piastri?

There is ways of doing it. You never know when he’ll be wanting that Alpine seat.

Zynerji

Alpha Tauri to let Gasley go to Alpine for an all French lineup? Piastri to AT in 2023 looking to replace Checo in 2024/5 ?🤔

chrisc90

Am I right in saying Piastri hasnt even done 1 free practice session in a F1 car? Only time he's drove one was a test session in Qatar with the 2021 car?