F1 Technical pics from Indy and Canada....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
RacingManiac
RacingManiac

F1 Technical pics from Indy and Canada....

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

no feedback? :D

nope lmfao

West
West

Those are nice pics. But I'm still contemplating if I should go to the USGP in 2005. Was it fun? I was supposed to go last year but I kept thinking to myself it probably won't be as enjoyable as watching it on TV, since u get all the different viewing angles. I would just be going w/ my dad and although he is interested in F1 he doesn't know as much as I do about the sport, so it would be hard to have some conversations w/ him.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

I was working as a mechanics for Formula BMW's support race, so I didn't get to see much of the race at all. But being at the track on Wednesday when they were setting up and no security in the pitlane allows me to take a paddock tour ;)

F1's live atmosphere though is something else. You can't say you know how fast a F1 car go until you've seen it and hear it in person.....I literally had a hard time to focus with my own eye when they zoom by you...

West
West

The thing is, I went to a CART race 2 years ago and after 30 minutes fell asleep... even w/ the cars zooming by. I was asleep during all the crashes (except the final one). That's why I'm so unsure about going to Indy. The pit walk, tho, might entice me to go.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

I'd have to agree though, I guess Indy might be an exception because they have that Thursday afternoon pitwalk thing(for Sunday ticket holder I think), because F1 you don't get to see the cars that much. ALMS races is fun because their pit is always open and you can just walk into their paddock and look around and talk to the drivers, engineers and so forth. Without those kind of access if you just go watch the races, you'd most likely be endup staring at a jumbotron for 2 hours...

Mclaren11
Mclaren11

I have been to every modern USGP held at indy, and it is awesome. I have nothing to compare the indy circut to, but compared to the two oval races held there every year, the gp is awesome. the pit lane walkabout alone is worth the price of a ticket. you can litterally reach out and touch the cars (the minardis). I always sit on the north side of the track in the top row, great view.

supertec

I am going this year to the USGP went in 03 and in 02. In 02 it was my first f1 experience and it is one of the sweetest sounds my ears have heard. Last year i did not attend because i went other places but im there this year.. i wish i could get on the inside to take photos.. i love photography but getting inside to the paddock is impossible for me.
"It's Villeneuve, the young man from Ontario, Canada.....no excuse me, that's Quebec, Canada." -Martin Brundle

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

x
Last edited by DaveKillens on 02 Sep 2009, 05:37, edited 1 time in total.

Lafora

RacingManiac wrote:I'd have to agree though, I guess Indy might be an exception because they have that Thursday afternoon pitwalk thing(for Sunday ticket holder I think), because F1 you don't get to see the cars that much. ALMS races is fun because their pit is always open and you can just walk into their paddock and look around and talk to the drivers, engineers and so forth. Without those kind of access if you just go watch the races, you'd most likely be endup staring at a jumbotron for 2 hours...
Does autotechnica hire students from U of T exclusively? I understand they have a partnership with them so I'm assuming this is the case?

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

no not exclusively...it just so happen it's established with people from UT's Formula SAE team, and they needed cheap labor last year so a few of us worked there for the summer...

We got a few Waterloo people too...

Lafora

when do they usually start the hiring process?
and if you don't mind, how much did they pay you.

i'm currently talking with AIM and Atlantic and see if I can land something this summer.

They focus on a 1 car effort for the Formula BMW this year, I think it's 7 double race weekend. I think it starts sometime in April. But I'd contact them now because I am sure if they need help, they'd start from pre-season with testing and painting the car and so forth.

The pay wasn't much as really we weren't "pro" mechanics, but we have all had experience with the FSAE car so it's just a matter of learning to work on different car, and we don't do pitstops anyhow. It was really minimum pay, although travel and food while on race weekend is covered. Like I said we really were just friends helping out....and gain some practical experience alone the way.