Ultimate F1 Sim

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
motorherp
motorherp

Ultimate F1 Sim

Hi.
I'm currently in the process of creating the ultimate F1 simulation and since you all seem like complete F1 tech nutters around here I'd thought I'd ask you all what features you would most like to see implemented in an F1 sim? Also could anyone recommend some good books or online resources for detailed F1 specifications? I'm talking really harcore stuff not 'beginners guide to' type things. Cheers everyone

Stas
Stas

http://www.f1gamers.com is a nice website

http://www.scarbsf1.com

AS for books you could always get Giorgio Piola's books (the latest being 2002/2003 technical review) for detailed drawings, if not data, on setups

http://www.mulsannescorner.com is good if you want to see how sportscars are made.

- West

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well I just spent the weekend at a car expo in the city were I study...and there was a Toyota TF103...the simulator cost 42500euros! :lol: Quite expensive it was a real size fibre glass monocoque with nose cone carbon fibre wing and suspension...wheels....I was fantastic I ended up having to setup the cars for almost all the tracks since at the first 2 days almost no one wanted to try it! I was fantastic....I'll post some pics as soon as they send them to me. Possibly in the summer I'll be going to Toyota Portugal to finish setting up the cars...a whole day in a F1 simulator....it doesn't have hydraulics to shake the car around but it does have a very "hard" force feedback!

motorherp
motorherp

I've already seen these web sites unfortunately. To be honest I think I've exhausted what little information there is to be had on the internet already. Should hopefully be getting my hands on some up to date telemetry soon so I'll just have to do a bit of reverse engineering. Any feature suggestions are still welcome though.......go wild.
Cheers for the input everyone.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Here is Mr. Monstrobolaxa seat fitting for Toyota....for a upcoming test :lol:

-shr3d-
-shr3d-

hey motorherp,
are u making a simulator to tie in with existing gaming software or are you looking a doing the whole package??
and monstro, which software were toyota running?? would have been wikked fun..

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

They were using F1 Challenge 99-02, 2002 season using Mika Salo's Toyota.

-shr3d-
-shr3d-

hmmm.....think i have played that....
GP4 for me all the way.... awesome sim even if it doesnt quite have the feel of GP3 but hey, thats traction control for u..
they should have set up a pneumatic control system for it. do you think that would be viable??

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well according to what I was told it weighs 210kg....this simulator....it would be viable....but several changes would have to be made.

I played in a hidraulic simulator 2 years ago....according to the owners it was a 1999 Sauber monocoque...though I really don't think it was....it seemed more like a F. BMW monocoque with Sauber wheels.....but in any case it didn't weigh more then 100 kg...even with the wheels, wing, nose, suspension.....so it was easier to build as a dynamic simulator. Besides that the sound and computer were seperate from the monocoque....so if Toyota want to do the same thing they'll have to remove alot of weigh....maybe even make it in carbon instead of glass fibre. But it's possible to do.

-shr3d-
-shr3d-

how was the reaction time in the hydraulic one? i have a small simulator (hypersimulator) which they sell in Australia which would love to set up but need to find a friend in pneumatics or hydraulics first.... hmm some supension to provide travel would also help... hehe.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well it was actually quite quick! To be as fast as it was I suspect that the lateral movement was activated by a sensor on the steering wheel cause it would tilt to the side acording to the steering position....and the longitudinal motion was activated by a brake and throttle sensor.....I do not recall the simulator moving when I went to pass Schummy for 1st and he closed the door...so I ended up toughing him.....the steering didn't have force feedback....but this is something that is easy to install!

About the force feedback (FF) on the Toyota simulator.....the principal is the same as the FF on a steering wheel at home....but it had a huge electric motor....the FF was set at 30% and at the end of 20 laps you could already feel your arms.... :lol: (I did around 25 races in 2 days...most of them were 3 to 5 laps...but I tried doing one at Monza for 25.....I was sweating at the end :lol: ..finished 5th...)

-shr3d- wrote:hey motorherp,
are u making a simulator to tie in with existing gaming software or are you looking a doing the whole package??
Yup, its for a game. So if anyone's into F1 games then I'd like to hear what annoys you about current F1 games and what you'd like to see in new ones. Any suggestions welcome.

motorherp
motorherp

That was me sorry. Forgot to log in.

Stas
Stas

One thing that i annoyed in most f1 games is that they dont send you steering feedback when you play them. Most EA games have that problem like F1 career challenge. All they got is that jerki handlinging in simulation mode which you cant contrlol. It really tokes you off game. :cry: [/list][/code][/quote]