Maldonado's punishment, Spa 2011

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of Maldonado's penalty?

He shouldn't have been punished
8%
It is a fair punishment
17%
He should have been sent to the back
11%
He should have had a race ban
46%
He should have had a 3 race ban
13%
He should have been banned for the rest of the year
3%
He should have had his superlicense revoked
3%
Other (leave comment)
No votes

Total votes: 72

gridwalker
gridwalker

Maldonado's punishment, Spa 2011

Given the debate that is raging in the race thread, someone had to ask the question ... Is Maldonado's 5 place grid penalty a fair punishment for apparently sideswiping another driver deliberately?

Now that there is a thread for this, can we clean up the discussion in the race thread now?
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: Maldonado's punishment, Spa 2011

Went with 3 race ban from here. Also, damn you, your new icon is mesmerising for some reason.

gridwalker
gridwalker

For some reason, my old avatar got corrupted and the colours went a bit funny : I guess I was overdue for a change anyway, as I took that pic at the 2007 race of champions!

wesley123
wesley123

The Stewards once again show how fair they are. If you hold up someone accidently you get a five place grid penalty, but driving onto another driver serves the same penalty? Maldonado should at least be pushed back to the last place of the grid, although I was more into a race ban.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

myurr
myurr

wesley123 wrote:The Stewards once again show how fair they are. If you hold up someone accidently you get a five place grid penalty, but driving onto another driver serves the same penalty? Maldonado should at least be pushed back to the last place of the grid, although I was more into a race ban.
+1

It's not exactly consistent with other penalties that have been handed out is it...

beelsebob
beelsebob

myurr wrote:
wesley123 wrote:The Stewards once again show how fair they are. If you hold up someone accidently you get a five place grid penalty, but driving onto another driver serves the same penalty? Maldonado should at least be pushed back to the last place of the grid, although I was more into a race ban.
+1

It's not exactly consistent with other penalties that have been handed out is it...
Sure it is – Hamilton was involved, therefore the decision went against him – that's very consistent.

siskue2005

yup , so true
i can bet if it was MS or Lewis...it would have been atleast 10 place grid penalty!

beelsebob
beelsebob

siskue2005 wrote:
yup , so true
i can bet if it was MS or Lewis...it would have been atleast 10 place grid penalty!
Don't make me laugh, if it had been Lewis he would have been banned for the rest of the season.

gridwalker
gridwalker

You get the same penalty when your gearbox breaks : this is a joke of a penalty.

ringo

He makes an Ali G joke outside of competition and Todt would give him 6 weeks ban.

He would have been sent to Guantanamo bay for this one.
For Sure!!

wesley123
wesley123

ringo wrote:He makes an Ali G joke outside of competition and Todt would give him 6 weeks ban.

He would have been sent to Guantanamo bay for this one.
=D> so true...

myurr
myurr

Taken from the BBC's iPlayer thumbnail. You can see that Lewis is pointed straight down the track at the point of impact.

myurr
myurr

Jesus! Watch the highlights program, skip to about 3:18 and you can watch it in car. Lewis was driving straight down the track and Maldonado came shoot across him. There can be no doubt now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula ... 691403.stm

wesley123
wesley123

myurr wrote:Image

Taken from the BBC's iPlayer thumbnail. You can see that Lewis is pointed straight down the track at the point of impact.
actually Hamilton is even turning left a bit.

myurr
myurr

Here's a quick and dirty video for those that are interested:

http://www.pureinnovation.com/images/St ... donado.swf