Singapore GP 2011 - Marina Bay Street Circuit

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

It's theoretically possible for Vettel to clinch the title here. Will he?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes: 82

Intego

Re: Singapore GP 2011 - Marina Bay Street Circuit

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:@ Intego

isnt it something to do with Webber being 10KGs heavier than Vettel?

The weight distrubution would not be exactly the same as that of Vettels car, and on starts perhaps this is a small reason why Webber struggles.
Yes, but I think it was Spa when Webber stated he had problems with the clutch and the revs were going down. That seems to be like an echo.
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Hmm I guess Vettel is just better at engaging it, and hooking up a good clean getaway.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Mandrake
Mandrake

Rob W wrote:He did? Some of his comments sounded to me like he was blaming Perez.

> "Basically he just lifted off too early and I couldn't anticipate it. I was about to try and go on the inside as he was a lot slower than myself."

What he should have said was: "I wasn't paying as much attention as I should and drove into the back of a slower car."
tbh I was concentrating on polishing my car and didn't take too many looks to the screen, I must've missed the interview or at least the critical parts of it. Maybe I shouldn't take Singapore as an example for his maturity then, but everywhere else he admitted his faults which was refreshing to see.

I feel if Hamilton did the same he would get a totally different perception.

About Webber / Vettel:
I do believe that last year, Vettel did not have too much confidence into the car. It let him down so many times that he was probably paying more attention than he should have. This year, especially with such a large lead he can act differently in the races and the car's reliability is strengthening his confidence as well.

Intego

There's an article of Horner describing the Spa starting problems (clutch included)):
German
Google translation

There is described how drivers have to prepare and warm the clutch on the formation lap:
Horner wrote:There are two clutches, the driver lets come one in the other. It is crucial, as they prepare the clutch on the way to the starting line. The engineers give them instructions on how much they still need to bring the clutch to temperature. They rehearse meticulously, how to prepare the clutch the best for the start.
Then it's about matching the torque from the motor to the biting point of the clutch. The driver persist with his foot on the gas. Then they release the clutch lever and let him go into the other. At the same time, the driver must look in the mirror to see what is happening around him
You can very quickly bring the tires to spin. But it's also pretty quick to give too little gas. Then the revs drop and the car leaps like a rabbit from the start. The window in which one must move, is very small.
Sorry: difficult to (try to) correct Google translation, when you're no native speaker ... :-"
Last edited by Intego on 26 Sep 2011, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

beelsebob
beelsebob

Rob W wrote:He did? Some of his comments sounded to me like he was blaming Perez.

> "Basically he just lifted off too early and I couldn't anticipate it. I was about to try and go on the inside as he was a lot slower than myself."

What he should have said was: "I wasn't paying as much attention as I should and drove into the back of a slower car."
Tbh, that's a bit of an extreme view. These guys drive within inches of each other, at those distances, you simply can't react to them breaking and stay behind them. Instead, you have to simply trust that they are actually going to break at a sensible place and/or judge where their breaking point is likely to be. I do think Schumacher got up too close before swinging out for the pass, but saying it was caused by day dreaming is way off.

Note – the typical approach to overtaking by outbreaking is to watch for them breaking, and react to it. Notice how when you do that, you end up a car length in front of them, not neatly slowing down tucked in behind.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

To all those saying the Massa Vs. Hamilton spat in the interview pen was just a tap on the shoulder, watch it again. Massa basically turns him around and smacks him twice on the shoulder, he knocks the straw out of Lewis's mouth. If you think that's acceptable give me your address and I'll come round and do it to your kids. Massa was a sorry little worm at that moment, he couldn't have got any lower.

OH and for all you that are about to call me fanboy, I feel Hamilton was at fault in the incident.

madly
madly

Do you remember Singapore 2010? No DRS, just fresh rubber after puncture, 6 passes in the following 7 laps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu401Q0Q ... re=related

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Diesel

It was a good ol masculine pat on the shoulder. Men do not react to such petty taps, much less get involved in a fight over it.
Take this contextually. Massa knew there were Cameras, if he did pat Hamilton to the point of "assault", we would be decrying him right now. Lets not take this to the point of Physical assault, because I would say if it was a women he did that then fair enough...outta line. But this is an F1 driver, and one that pulls high G for hours every fortnight. If Hamilton wants to lose face, he would be publicly lambasting Massa now and coming across as a bit of a wuss.
That he hasnt shows to me he is taking it with a pinch of salt and waiting for the right moment to say "foda se" to shut Massa up on track.
More could have been done.
David Purley

ringo

Traction wrote:Hamilton messed up again, it not hard to accept and further to that Massa apparantly tried to talk to him before the on camera incident and he refused to talk to Massa, if he had any coolness about him he would have done the right thing at the start and said.."You know what, I screwed up, sorry' case closed. Instead he just attracted more attention to himself by acting like prima donna....on the other hand Massa should have just left things as they were arace incident and the person who caused the incident recieved a penalty...case closed...but Massa acts like a wannabee and tries to flex muscle like a Jersey Shore douche....
BS. He doesn't have to bow to any body.
You're talking crap that you yourself wouldn't do. I'm telling you i'd brake Felipe's nose if he even comes and obstruct me with a certain look on his face.

You think Lewis is a punk? "You know what, I screwed up, sorry" what the hell?? BS!!
Shumacher wouldn't do that crap, Senna wouldn't do that, no real man would do that BS, especially one from the caribbean. :lol:

I would lose all respect for Hamilton if he did that. Massa is Alonso's b*tch. He deserves no respect from anyone else on the grid, if he can't even look his teammate in the eye. Hamilton is a big man to Alonso, why would he cower to Massa, Alonso's side kick? :lol:
For Sure!!

jamsbong
jamsbong

Adrian Newey was observing Force India's car very diligently. I remember he was watching Sauber's car in Melbourne. Then, at the end of the race Sauber was disqualified for an illegal rear wing.

I am guessing that Adrian must be wondering why Force India (FI) has improved so much. FI is generally on par with Mercedes.

CHT
CHT

ringo wrote:
Traction wrote:Hamilton messed up again, it not hard to accept and further to that Massa apparantly tried to talk to him before the on camera incident and he refused to talk to Massa, if he had any coolness about him he would have done the right thing at the start and said.."You know what, I screwed up, sorry' case closed. Instead he just attracted more attention to himself by acting like prima donna....on the other hand Massa should have just left things as they were arace incident and the person who caused the incident recieved a penalty...case closed...but Massa acts like a wannabee and tries to flex muscle like a Jersey Shore douche....
You're talking crap that you yourself wouldn't do. I'm telling you i'd brake Felipe's nose if he even comes and obstruct me with a certain look on his face.

You think Lewis is a punk? "You know what, I screwed up, sorry" what the hell?? BS!!
Shumacher wouldn't do that crap, Senna wouldn't do that, no real man would do that BS, especially one from the caribbean. :lol:

I would lose all respect for Hamilton if he did that. Massa is Alonso's b*tch. He deserves no respect from anyone else on the grid, if he can't even look his teammate in the eye. Hamilton is a big man to Alonso, why would he cower to Massa, Alonso's side kick? :lol:
Lewis is just a kid that misses his daddy around him at the paddock.

Rob W

beelsebob wrote:
Rob W wrote:> "Basically he just lifted off too early and I couldn't anticipate it...."

Tbh, that's a bit of an extreme view. These guys drive within inches of each other, at those distances, you simply can't react to them breaking and stay behind them. Instead, you have to simply trust that they are actually going to break at a sensible place and/or judge where their breaking point..
Ha ha.. for sure. I was just making a point. He basically framed it as if Perez should cop some of the blame when in fact it was basically his own error - either following too closely and/or being too ambitious. Perez barely lifted early if he did at all. Regardless, Schumacher was nowhere near being down one side or the other of Perez when he lifted.

Traction

ringo wrote:

Oops....not the same incident but the. principle applies.....

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/SPORT/motor ... index.html

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/story/?id=367437

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/201 ... 216983.htm

http://www.newkerala.com/news/2011/worldnews-39571.html

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/hamil ... tml#image1
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

vall
vall

ringo wrote:

you take all this out of the context, IMO. Let see: Massa and LH have had quite a few incidents this year and 2 of them during the last 2 days at Singapore. Massa is right to be pissed off and as he said, he tried to talk to Hamilton twice after the race. But Hamilton would not listed, not even looked at Massa. Why? well, I think this quite of a ar*ogant behavior. And Massa is not Fred's b*tch! He is faster then him and beats him on track, so what? Was Kovy LH's b*tch?