R.I.P Dan Wheldon, 1978-2011

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
timbo

Re: R.I.P Dan Wheldon, 1978-2011

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
RIP

wesley123

Incredibly shocking to see, he leaves behind his wive and 2 really young children, it is really sad

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Steven
Owner

Here's a photo of Dan Wheldon's car after the crash.
Not hard to realise immediately that this was going to be serious.

http://twitpic.com/71fy8z/full

RIP Dan Wheldon. I'm devastated...

wesley123

the fact that the whole roll bar is shed off says enough, he seemingly hit the wall with the top of the car, would be a wonder if he survived.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Giblet

RIP. A shame and it reminds us that chasing a high bar for safety minimized these tragedies :cry: .
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

RB7ate9

Tomba wrote:Here's a photo of Dan Wheldon's car after the crash.
Not hard to realise immediately that this was going to be serious.

http://twitpic.com/71fy8z/full

RIP Dan Wheldon. I'm devastated...
My god...the roll hoop is gone.

Supposedly there was a major concern about the dangers of driving on the track in regards to the speeds and the number of cars on the grid (34, I believe). Does anyone know more about this?

RIP Dan Wheldon.

timbo

From that vid it seems like a car to his right veered right into him and he was airborne. Nothing he could do...

munudeges

Wow. In a bit of a state of shock as I remember Dan before he went off to US racing where I just haven't been watching to be honest. It makes the $5 million challenge sound rather stupid now, even though it had nothing to do with it.

As soon as I saw the accident.....well, you just know. I just hope Indycar can really learn from this and get back on its feet, because that was the last thing it needed.

munudeges

RB7ate9 wrote:Supposedly there was a major concern about the dangers of driving on the track in regards to the speeds and the number of cars on the grid (34, I believe). Does anyone know more about this?
No, but I'm really not surprised. That number of cars on that circuit is a bit silly really. Indycar needs to have a long hard look at itself.

Giblet

I have to wonder if this would have happened in the 2012 spec cars. They have fences behind the rear wheels and are supposed to have less of the kind of contact that sends you airborne.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

hardingfv32

These are big boys. They now they are playing with fire and are going to get bit every once in a while. If they don't like the risks they can pick another sport. How many drivers do you think would not race after this accident AT this track?

The tracks in the major US markets (population centers) are built to NASCAR specs. NASCAR being the most profitable US race organization. These configurations will always be very fast for Indy cars. So if Indy Cars wants access to a major market they have to take the gamble. Thats just the way things are today in the US.

Brian

jddh1

wesley123 wrote:the fact that the whole roll bar is shed off says enough, he seemingly hit the wall with the top of the car, would be a wonder if he survived.
It looked to me as if he didn't hit the wall at all, but rather went straight into the fence. Very strange. It is incredible how the roll hoop didn't help protect the driver. I suspect he was crushed from the force.

We talk about F1 cars having a screen, well, cars driving the Indicar series should think about that more since they're running high speeds in a consistent manner and I think the drivers would benefit by having a screen over their heads.

RB7ate9

hardingfv32 wrote:These are big boys. They now they are playing with fire and are going to get bit every once in a while. If they don't like the risks they can pick another sport. How many drivers do you think would not race after this accident AT this track?

Just because they are big boys doesn't mean that they should automatically agree to dangerous conditions when they could - nay - SHOULD take steps to improve safety. If you disagree, a Sir Jackie Stewart would like a chat with you.
hardingfv32 wrote:
The tracks in the major US markets (population centers) are built to NASCAR specs. NASCAR being the most profitable US race organization. These configurations will always be very fast for Indy cars. So if Indy Cars wants access to a major market they have to take the gamble. Thats just the way things are today in the US.

Brian

It's so sad because it's so true. I was talking with a friend while watching the Korean GP and said that Indy needs to get off the ovals because open-wheeled cars are just better suited to curvy tracks. I hope that this will create better safety conditions at tracks and for the cars, and possibly end the stigma against roads vs. ovals in America. With any luck, we can see Indycars out in Austin in 2012. Wouldn't that be a sight?!

Mr Alcatraz

Devastating! RIP Dan Wheldon.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Ray

Staying off ovals won't prevent this from happening. Plenty of injuries have happened on road courses. Justin Wilson breaking his back is a prime example this season. I was bawling my eyes out after the news finally broke, and was completely gutted. It's hard to even type this. I had that feeling all wasn't well but maintained hope that he was going to be okay. I was in tears when he won at Indy as well. I don't like to say goodbye, or rest in piece. That to me means we will never see someone again. I prefer to say "See you in another life", because one day, I will. So Dan, I'll see you in another life.