C24 modified

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Ciwai
Ciwai

C24 modified

Steven
Owner

*censored myself* :oops:

Anyway, what concerns your idea about that nose cone, it's about what I was thinking a few days ago in this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=1102

If anyone want to compare with the real C24, see here:
viewtopic.php?t=1107

SuperSonic
SuperSonic

Bloody amazing!

But the rear wing is illegal :cry:

Hello, folks.
What do you think about this one?

http://forums.atlasf1.com/showthread.ph ... adid=76283

Scuderia_Russ

Have i missed something here? Where's this front wing from?
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

scarbs
scarbs

IMO His idea was to place the drop plates behind the rear edge of the front wing and then drop down below the wing and reach forwards (i.e."L" shape is side elevation) effective mouting the wing from below.
But its the underside that does the work and bulky (as they are cantilevered) plates would upset the aero not improve it.

Craig

ZE.FT
ZE.FT

Scarbs o.k. downforce is created at the underside of the wings.
But does not a more linear flow on the chord of the wing increase downforce at the bottom?
Also why are big back wings as seen on FIA/GT or ETCC always bottom mounts?
They could easily be attached to the bodywork with top mounts or even
big endplates (Subaru Impreza STI back wing side mounts).
Downforce at back wings isn't created different. Or am I missing a point ?

scarbs
scarbs

Those other series have a limit on endplate size so they cant mount them that way.

dumrick
dumrick

Even F1's RW's are mounted that way. The interference of that construction on the underwing flow would be similar to the vanes that are many times used to separate airflows under the wing.

In theory, this would be a solution to allow cleaner overwing flow, just like the "walrus nose" from Williams last year. However, the cantilever shape would bring structural problems and, eventually, disturb the underbody air flow.

ZE.FT
ZE.FT

The L shaped droplates suggestion for the F1-FW sounded pretty new to me.Considering Sauber' s aero departments answer there we have to believe that this design is not going to be executed unless Sauber or someone else is showing up with such an alteration.
Thanks to scarbs and dumrick for sharing views.
What I was personally trying to explain for the FIA/GT back wing mounts was to take again L shaped connecting plates but turn the L upside down
to make the horizontal line of the letter L connect to the wing from the back edge onto the chord means to the top of the wing and then down
to the bodywork.
This should increase downforce at the rear wing for FIA/GT and BTCC/
WTCC cars.Not so sure about DTM,as I remember having seen back wing mounts there which came close to those which I have described above.

West
West

Any guesses to what the airbox sponsor will be (maybe more Petronas badging)?
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Scuderia_Russ

I remember reading that it was a Swiss company but i can't remember who it is.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Reca
Reca

ZE.FT. wrote: What I was personally trying to explain for the FIA/GT back wing mounts was to take again L shaped connecting plates but turn the L upside down to make the horizontal line of the letter L connect to the wing from the back edge onto the chord means to the top of the wing and then down to the bodywork.
This should increase downforce at the rear wing for FIA/GT and BTCC/WTCC cars. Not so sure about DTM,as I remember having seen back wing mounts there which came close to those which I have described
From an aerodynamic point of view to have the supports behind the wing, being it the front wing or the rear wing, isn’t clever, because they would cross the wake, and that could and probably would affect the wing a lot more than the interference caused by two vertical plates attached directly to the wing (being them on the upper or in the lower side).
Then about the rear wing you have to consider that the supports are part of the bodywork and usually rules don’t allow to have bodywork behind the rear edge of the car, people (bar Mitsubishi’s designer Fornaris, but he has probably his good reasons) tend to put the wing the closer they can to the rear limit to increase the arm and have more “clean” air, the presence of the supports would force to move the wing closer to the roof.
Then talking about the idea for the FW, from a structural point of view I want just to add that a fundamental aerodynamic issue is the ground clearance of the FW in the central part. With the vertical mounts you can control it pretty well because the distance between wing and nosecone is basically fixed, with an L support it would be lot more critical, any little vertical bending of the horizontal part of the support would be a problem. Probably you could alleviate that problem with a wire/slim rod connecting the nose to the wing main plane but still wouldn’t be as good as with the vertical mounts.

ZE.FT
ZE.FT

O.k. reca.I've got your point. Anyway we have to trust Saubers aero departments statement as mentioned that they have already tried drop plates which were behind the FW but found out that they did not add
downforce.

Not so sure about 'the rules do not allow bodywork behind the rear edge of the car' for FIA/GT class.if you meant so.You will have noticed the huge diffuser dimensions which are well behind the rear edge of the cars.

Reca
Reca

ZE.FT wrote: Anyway we have to trust Saubers aero departments statement as mentioned that they have already tried drop plates which were behind the FW but found out that they did not add downforce.
If we really have to trust them (do you exclude it was just a polite answer to a fan ?), Sauber until a couple of years ago already had two vertical plates, on the sides of the tub, behind the wing, the keels. Maybe they just attached the horizontal mounts to the keel or to a prolongation of the keel on the nosecone.
ZE.FT wrote: Not so sure about 'the rules do not allow bodywork behind the rear edge of the car' for FIA/GT class.if you meant so.You will have noticed the huge diffuser dimensions which are well behind the rear edge of the cars.
FIA GT rules on the rear wing does specify the dimensions of a box, the rear wing assembly (that includes, wing, endplates and vertical supports) must be contained in that box, and it’s required that the box doesn’t protrude beyond the rearmost point of the car.