Raikkonen performance on R30

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
marinopc

Raikkonen performance on R30

Any info about testing times of KR today?

Steven
Owner

Re: Raikkonen performance on R30

I don't have any times, but I know they wouldn't be of much value either.
First of all, it's unlikely Kimi was focusing on performance today, and secondly, they are running this car with Pirelli demo tyres, a kind of tyre which nobody really knows a lot about.

astracrazy

For those asking, we're hoping to get #Raikkonen video up later this evening@andrewbensonf1 2 hours ago (BBC)

KubicaFAN

Kimi Raikkonen R30 test in Valencia 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... CV2xCCyAgk#!

nacho

Looks very slippery on videos, like on cold tires.

KubicaFAN

megz

Interesting to note that the R30 is using an off throttle blowing engine map despite the top exiting exhausts. I imagine there is nothing in it, but interesting nonetheless.

astracrazy

maybe its more to them than just some track time for kimi...

bcoxa

Wasn't it said that the Renault engine needed some amount of over run just to operate?
I'm not an engineer, just an experiment.

PlatinumZealot

Yeah like most race engines do to keep cool..but not to the degree that we see in 2010 with the off throttle maps and flame belching. A reported 10%(?) in fuel consumption over the race.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

Yes; but even in 2009; we never heard anything as bad as in that video.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mx_tifoso

I don't think this is common but it's impressive that they're letting him run the show in Valencia:

Alan Permane:
"It isn't a traditional test, it's more about doing what he wants and getting him up to speed

"We wrote a run-plan and pretty much stuck to it [on Monday]. But I said to Kimi in the morning that the test is really for you and that if you want to do something different, that's fine, let us know.

"But he just got on with it. We did a few little set-up changes and ran the car on a very high fuel load because that's something he didn't do as he left F1 before the refuelling ban came in.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

strad

The 2010 probably still had the old map...It was just a test
Lotus's trackside operations engineer Alan Permane said Kimi Raikkonen proved on his first day back in a Formula 1 cockpit that his return to grand prix racing can be a success.

Raikkonen is spending two days testing a 2010 Renault at Valencia this week as he settles back into F1 after two seasons in the World Rally Championship.

No times were released from today's test, and Raikkonen's pace would not be representative as he is using demonstration tyres and an older car, but Permane said his quality had shown through.

"From the first run he was pretty much there," Permane told BBC Sport. "It's very difficult to know where he should be but he was pretty much on the pace on the first run. He didn't find a whole lot of pace during the day.

"I don't see any reason why he won't be on the pace - you can tell he's a very, very experienced driver.

"It was very clear we were working with a former world champion. It was a good day."

Permane added that he could not understand why Raikkonen had a reputation for being uncommunicative, as he had got on well with the Lotus team so far.

"He must have two faces - one for [the media]," Permane said. "He's perfectly normal. He was very happy to sit and talk about the car for as long as it takes. He's very open."
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

astracrazy

Would their be any benefit using off throttle maps with the new exhaust rules (depending where you're facing them). Could they be testing this? maybe?

strad

I don't think they do nuthin for nothing so possibly
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss