Raikkonen performance on R30

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
thisisatest
thisisatest

Re: Raikkonen performance on R30

hardingfv32 wrote:Roughly, what is the suspension setup?

There is an outer spring specified but no outer damper.
There are center dampers but no center spring. What is a center system?
There are roll dampers.

That is the possibility of a three types of dampener systems per each end of the car (not just three dampers). What would that look like?

Brian
i mentioned this earlier, no response. i figure a roll damper would be mounted across the car, but "diagonally" so one end is mounted to the front of a bellcrank connecting to the suspension push (or pull)rod, the other end to the rear of the other bellcrank. roll is the only one that has a damper and a spring (anti-roll bar). no mention of an inerter, although it may be there and it's being referred to as something else.

Belatti
Belatti

mkeRed wrote:[
Also, the castor value, that can't be degrees, right? To my mind 12 degrees seems extreme.
No its not. I setup F Renault cars with "only" 5 or 6 because they cant use self-locking differential. Its not uncommon to see 11º in F3 cars.

FWD racecars like WTCC can use more than 15º
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Belatti
Belatti

raymondu999 wrote:Both. I'm intrigued though. What benefit would you get from having rear toe in; and toe in at the rear with toe out at the front?
That setup is common in RWD racecars. There are many reasons, like tyre heating, slip angles needed and steering response, braking stability, etc.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

Caito
Caito

Belatti wrote:
mkeRed wrote:[
Also, the castor value, that can't be degrees, right? To my mind 12 degrees seems extreme.
No its not. I setup F Renault cars with "only" 5 or 6 because they cant use self-locking differential. Its not uncommon to see 11º in F3 cars.

FWD racecars like WTCC can use more than 15º

Sry OT, but.. what does LSD diff has to do with caster??

Thanks.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

Belatti
Belatti

In a car with a lot of caster, when the wheels are turned, the inner front goes down relative to the chassis and the outer front goes down. Think about what does the inner rear "see" of all this happening at the front...

dan
dan

raymondu999 wrote:Both. I'm intrigued though. What benefit would you get from having rear toe in; and toe in at the rear with toe out at the front?
rear toe in is for rear stability and toe-out sharper turn in I think
a rwd road car with 0 rear toe will wander in a straight line and be a lot looser on corner entry, harder to trailbrake and tip in

1/2mm seems like hardly anything I would think those specs are near enough a neutral setup for a f1 car or any formula car?

suspension on road cars the toe definitely changes I would think so to on an F1 car?

PlatinumZealot

raymondu999 wrote:Interesting. He's worked; let's not forget; with JB; Hamilton; Nando and Hakkinen
There are different facets of intelligence and different people admire different facets.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

n smikle wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Interesting. He's worked; let's not forget; with JB; Hamilton; Nando and Hakkinen
There are different facets of intelligence and different people admire different facets.
He might not even be talking about intelligence. The word he used IIRC was brilliance. He could be talking of Kimi as a brilliant driver, rather than an intelligent one. But my point being for someone who's worked with Hakkinen, JB, Hamilton, Alonso that's high praise indeed.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SLC
SLC

The PPS is the hydraulic system which links the rear and front suspension (as in they are physically connected with hydraulic lines). I'm no dynamics expert but it improves the ride over bumpy surfaces (when the rear is perturbed it stiffens the front up, I think).

Richard
Richard

bosanac1 wrote:seems someone got pretty good photo from todays test
Thank you!

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I've never seen the Iceman smile so much, hopefully that translates to positive results with the R32.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Donuts

09:30 @StrangAutosport with some more Raikkonen analysis: "During his run in the 2010 Renault, two weeks ago, taking into account fuel correction, he was within two tenths of his best lap on his first flyer."
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

raymondu999

Actually I heard Alan Permane say a while back that they did a quali simulation, plopped in a bit of fuel, and calculated the estimated fuel effect. Raikkonen produced that lap time, down to the hundredth (thousandths off)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法