Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

I'm confused about why a lot of sources are saying "the rear is a lot tighter"... To me it actually looks less tightly packaged than the -25.

raymondu999

I think the key difference is the -25 only really tapered downwards to a line, rather than to a point like on the Red Bull
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

pocketmoon

From the top the rear appears to taper sooner. The area behind the upper air intake is more concave

Richard
Richard

Looking at a couple of key area to judge the taper:

The rear seems to meet the crash structure on the rear axle line, while the 26 extended further back

The point where the floor meets the side pod is first visible in line with the headrest on the 27, these seems further forward than the 26

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

beelsebob
beelsebob

richard_leeds wrote:Looking at a couple of key area to judge the taper:

The rear seems to meet the crash structure on the rear axle line, while the 26 extended further back

The point where the floor meets the side pod is first visible in line with the headrest on the 27, these seems further forward than the 26
Yep, but the latter is mostly a symptom of U-pods, the 25 begins tapering at the exact same place.

myurr
myurr

CHT wrote:Are they running a shorter wheelbase for the MP4-27?
Front wheels have been moved slightly closer to the driver.

Richard
Richard

beelsebob wrote:the 25 begins tapering at the exact same place.
I agree, we should really compare to the 25. I think the front of the pods
I think so, given the vague angles and perspectives of the pictures.

However the rear seems a little tighter?

With regard to length, the pics of the last 3 cars are taken on the same tiled floor. We just need someone with photoshop to use those tile lines to correct the scale and perspective.

Coefficient
Coefficient

beelsebob wrote:I'm confused about why a lot of sources are saying "the rear is a lot tighter"... To me it actually looks less tightly packaged than the -25.

Don't forget, MP4 25 had no KERS to package. MP4 25 is skinnier than RB7 too, KERS makes all the cars a bit chunkier which is why we should compare like with like. MP4 27 is tidier than the 26 at the back and the side pods have less volume in the flanks.

I think there is still something to be revealed in relation to the exhausts. Looks to me like their is something to attached to that bulbous outlet. The team must have found a loophole that allows them to channel exhaust gases somewhere advantageous and have opted to hide the componenet for now.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Metalrulz
Metalrulz

The car looks significantly shorter than the previous models... is a short wheelbase with tight packaging the right way to go ?

Richard
Richard

Something odd about that exhaust. It doesn't look legal.

So if that is their secret weapon, why not use a conventional exhaust pipe popping of smooth bodywork and then only show the secret one with bulges at the test?

Unless that's been put there as a distraction? I just hope for their sake that its not a repeat of the octopus.

CHT
CHT

myurr wrote:
CHT wrote:Are they running a shorter wheelbase for the MP4-27?
Front wheels have been moved slightly closer to the driver.
due to the new regulation on the nosebox height perhaps?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Here the rear cooling is quite visible and quite low.

Ferraripilot

The opening in the sidepod someone posted above is probably for KERS cooling.

Metalrulz
Metalrulz

richard_leeds wrote:Something odd about that exhaust. It doesn't look legal.

So if that is their secret weapon, why not use a conventional exhaust pipe popping of smooth bodywork and then only show the secret one with bulges at the test?

Unless that's been put there as a distraction? I just hope for their sake that its not a repeat of the octopus.

Yeah i guess this is what Ross Brawn meant that under the current rules it is still not impossible to blow the difuser .. I would agree as the exhaust pipe on the mclaren could be directed towards the diffuser or for that matter any team could place their exhaust somewhere close to where mclaren have placed theirs and point it in the direction of the diffuser.. It may not give you the optimum downforce levels of last year but its better than blowing the rear wing