James Key leaves Sauber, next destination?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

James Key leaves Sauber, next destination?

Breaking story on James Key leaving Sauber. I will try source where he is off to, in the mean time anyone's guess.... Im going to guess McLaren or Mercedes have snapped him up.

The new role is based in the UK and he has accepted the offer.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Morteza

Re: James Key leaves Sauber, next destination?

What?! Why has he left Sauber? Source please, JET! I'm almost sure he's not gonna end up in Mercedes. There are already too many names there! McLaren is more probable.

EDIT:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97308
Here's the piece of news on Autosport.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Im gonna say he will end up at Williams alongside Mark Coughlan and Dr Mark Gillian. However, another wild card thats posible is Lotus, whitch will be my second choice team.

Mr.S
Mr.S

Why should he go to Williams. I am sure he will go to a Near Top team with a substantial salary. Why go to another mid-field runner leaving Sauber where he has so much freedom & respect.

I love love to see him at Mercedes,hopefully replacing Bigois. But they are too stacked up with so many guys that it is very unlikely.

Ferrari & RBR are unlikely. Ferrari have got so many new guys.

MY guess is Mclaren because they have lot a lot of guys & Sam Michael is incharge of ON TRACK operations. Renault is the other possibity but I cant see him replacing Allison.

So Mclaren the favourite for me. I rate him highly.

xpensive
xpensive

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Breaking story on James Key leaving Sauber. I will try source where he is off to, in the mean time anyone's guess.... Im going to guess McLaren or Mercedes have snapped him up.

The new role is based in the UK and he has accepted the offer.
Of course MGP/AMG, as you can never have enough of Technical/Technology/Engineering Directors, can you now?

What should they call this one, Design Director perhaps?

Sorry JET, I couldn't help it, friends?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Tyler
Tyler

This is a huge surprise.
My bet is he's going to Caterham.

munudeges
munudeges

He shouldn't be short of offers.

Mr.S
Mr.S

Come on why blame Mercedes?? Mclaren have Michael & Lowe & will probably add more.

Ferrari I am not even sure who calls the shots?? Fry or Tombazis?? Now they Rory coming back & adding many aero guys. Maybe they will add more.

All TOP teams are doing the same. Creating a team because it is perhaps impossible to take on beat Newey alone given the current regulations.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Id have been surprised if this isnt a delayed press release and he actually parted with Sauber start of December to be honest with him taking up his new post in 3 to 4 months time.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

ESPImperium wrote:Id have been surprised if this isnt a delayed press release and he actually parted with Sauber start of December to be honest with him taking up his new post in 3 to 4 months time.
If that is the case then I would say he's off to Mercedes.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Francesc
Francesc

Apparently he's going to Marussia. Big waste of talent if true.

shelly
shelly

Good idea in my book. Can do no worse than his predecessors and can learn a lot from Pat Symmonds
twitter: @armchair_aero

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

And mould minds in your own immage, and get the tech team to the way you want it.

Once people thought the idea of Newey to a mid pack Red Bull was a bad career move, now is it really?

Best time to do it, a couple years before a major rule change.

madly
madly

Williams?

xpensive
xpensive

James Key was Technical Director with both FI and Sauber for crying out loud, I seriously doubt if he would play second fiddle to anyone, bar Mike Gascoyne or Adrian Newey, the latter who might be looking for a successor to groom.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"