James Key leaves Sauber, next destination?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Lurk

Re: James Key leaves Sauber, next destination?

I read that less than a week ago, but I couldn't retrieve where it come from, googling Oatley & Goss only give me results on MP4-27...
Maybe it was a mistake and the website deleted it, otherwise I could have seen it on twitter. In any case it was only at the rumor stage and with a big 'if'.

PlatinumZealot

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Breaking story on James Key leaving Sauber.
why do people love this man so much I don't really get all the fanfare?
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

โ˜„๏ธ Myth of the five suns. โ˜„๏ธ

โ˜€๏ธโ˜€๏ธโ˜€๏ธโ˜€๏ธโ˜€๏ธ
LxVxFxHxN

WhiteBlue

n smikle wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Breaking story on James Key leaving Sauber.
why do people love this man so much I don't really get all the fanfare?
Because his jobs at Force India and Sauber have moved those teams considerably upward in a short time. This usually means he knows his job as a leading engineer and strategical thinker.

I think the current job change is motivated by his wish to go back to the UK. Ex pat jobs almost always have the challenge to convert the grown status abroad into a higher position or better employment at home. It looks like James Key landed an opportunity there. This makes me think a relatively high up the grid team. McLaren or Mercedes. Back to McLaren in a higher position is probably the best bet.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

TzeiTzei
TzeiTzei

Well the guy wants to work in England, so i'd think that is the biggest reason for him leaving Sauber. He's shown his talent, so getting a new job probably wasn't a problem. Marussia? Sure if he likes challenges. Caterham? If he likes to work with Gascoyne and ofcourse the team is quite similar to FI and Sauber in size. Mercedes is already filled with tech directors. Lotus have lost some key staff, so that might be reasonable choise. Maybe he's after money, or tired of working in teams with limited resources, the McLaren might be the right choise. Hopefully we'll find out pretty soon.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

WhiteBlue wrote: It looks like James Key landed an opportunity there. This makes me think a relatively high up the grid team. McLaren or Mercedes. Back to McLaren in a higher position is probably the best bet.
+1
I recall alot of rumour about Key joining McLaren from Force india a couple of years ago. He opted for Sauber as the seniority of the role was what he wanted.
McLaren probably also didnt have an offer for him at the time.

With Pat Fry off to Ferrari, its easily possible to see Key at McLaren.

And I wouldnt dispel the Mercedes link either. Yes they have 3 TD's in place....but, How many did Ross Brawn have at Ferrari? This could be Mercedes attemptong to replicate the spaghetti junction management structure that served Ferrari so well for a decade.
And James Key does not have 1 area of expertise, he covers the broad range of disciplines which may be something Mercedes want to gel a car together.

^^
As likely as him joining Marussia anyway.
More could have been done.
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

I think the only reason for James Key going to MGP/AMG would be to replace Ross Brawn as Team Principal?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

JohnsonsEvilTwin

xpensive wrote:I think the only reason for James Key going to MGP/AMG would be to replace Ross Brawn as Team Principal?
Nah X, Ross Brawn wouldn't replace himself as boss. And Mercedes would never axe Brawn with Schumacher still there.
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

So what would James Key do at MGP/AMG then, the team needs a sixth x-TD as much as MS needs another birthday?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

One thing I have learnt X, is you can never have too many good people.

I would also think that given Key's background of tieing Aero/Mechanical data together(he majors in both disciplines), Would it be so hard to imagine him as a reference point for the other brains of the operation?

You said yourself this team is collecting TD's for fun. James Key just so happens to be probably the most talented available outside of the top 3. Who just went on a major recruitment drive?....Mercedes.

The Marussia link I have researched a bit further, and the team much like HRT cannot really afford to a) buy out a contract of an existing TD, then b) offer him a long term lucrative contract, then c) provide him the resources he is accustomed to at previous employers. They have consultants....not #TD's.
Now I understand that russia is full of cash rich moguls at present, so Im keeping the possibility open, that some knight in shining armour suddenly said..."hey lets bag James Key".

Of all the likely destinations I'd put money on McLaren being favourites, Mercedes 2nd, and Marussia near the back along with Ferrari(not uk based).
Hell he may show up at Lotus... havent really explore that possibility, but the draw of working with Raikkonen and the official Lotus name may have appealed to Key as much as a return to the UK...
David Purley

raymondu999

Would Bob Bell not be the "concept unifying" director at Mercedes though?
ๅคฑ่ดฅ่€…ๆ‰พ็†็”ฑ๏ผŒๆˆๅŠŸ่€…ๆ‰พๆ–นๆณ•

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Perhaps Bell was at the forefront of getting Key in....
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

Either way JET, one can wonder over the secrecy, perhaps I'm in the wrong here, but isn't the destination usually revealed when someone officially takes off for his/hers "gardening leave"?

raymondu999

Not necessarily. I remember Key's move to Sauber was also similar

xpensive
xpensive

How about Red Bull having him as TD at Toro Rosso for a couple of years before Newey goes into retirement?

raymondu999

I haven't heard anything of Ascanelli leaving Toro Rosso though