Obvious engine rule question...

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
sharkie17

Obvious engine rule question...

Cant believe no one has asked this before, but how the hell do FIA make sure the engine isnt swapped between races?

and what is allowed to be changed? (valves, etc)

can engine be rebuilt?

whats the story?

just curious.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Here are the engine regs from the Sporting regulations:

85) Each driver may use no more than one engine for two consecutive Events. Should it become necessary for
a driver to use another engine he will drop ten places on the starting grid at that Event and may not use
another engine until the end of the next Event. Any driver who failed to finish the race at the first of the two
Events may start the second with a different engine without incurring a penalty.

However, should an engine change be carried out after the first qualifying practice session but before the
race at either of the two Events, any drivers concerned will be required to start the relevant race from the
back of the starting grid in accordance with Article 126.
After consultation with the relevant engine supplier the FIA will attach seals to each engine in order to
ensure that no significant moving parts can be rebuilt or replaced. Following the first of the two Events
further seals will be applied in order to ensure that the engine cannot be run until the second Event unless
it is installed in the car concerned.
Other than the straightforward replacement of one engine unit with another, a change will also be deemed
to have taken place if any of the FIA seals are damaged or removed from the original engine after it has
been used for the first time.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

x
Last edited by DaveKillens on 02 Sep 2009, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.

sharkie17

DaveKillens wrote:During the race telecast, one announcer (don't remember who) mentioned that the engines were "sealed" by the FIA post race, and were to remain that way until the next event. I am assuming they place some form of (supposedly) tamper proof seals on certain components of the engine to stop the ability to change internal engine components. presently, I am assuming this is just the basic long block, without such accessories as pumps, hoses, fuel injection system.
But already this rule is under attack. Both BAR cars used a loophole, and retired one lap before the end of the race. Since they were both far out of any points, they did not suffer in that regard. But now, they claim they can change for new engines, without penalty.
http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=79055
I expect the two race per engine rule to undergo revision, very soon.
yes, this loophole is there.. BUT, remember that the new engine BAR will be using on the next event WILL have to last 2 events... as the rule states... it doesnt matter.

Mclaren11
Mclaren11

The engines won't have to last two races if you aren't in the points (that is if you are smart enough to not finish the race).

sharkie17

Mclaren11 wrote:The engines won't have to last two races if you aren't in the points (that is if you are smart enough to not finish the race).
using your "smart" argument, You can always have a brand new engine EVERY RACE!!!!!! (of course, you wont have ANY points)

Mclaren11
Mclaren11

That was my point.

sharkie17

Mclaren11 wrote:That was my point.
yes i know, but your point doesnt get the drivers any points.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

x
Last edited by DaveKillens on 02 Sep 2009, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.

sharkie17

Ferrari is NOT changing engine on MS's car for next race.

ZE.FT
ZE.FT

I cannot calculate retiring from which place upwards might be smart.
As far as I know there is a rewarding fund payback system by B.E.
which pays the teams even if they are out of points.

riff_raff
riff_raff

F1 engine life

The design and analysis of F1 engines is a pretty exact science nowadays. With the computational tools and test facilities available to them, I'm sure F1 engine designers can predict, almost to the minute, when their engines will fail. The data acquisition systems they have are capable of counting every single rev their engine makes. So they know, from analysis and dyno testing, exactly where and when each part in the engine will fail (likely from fatigue).

It will be interesting to watch this race season how each team will manage their engine life. Each lap in qualifying, practice and race is critical.

Scuderia_Russ

There's an interesting interview with Dr. Mario Thiessen in the latest Race Tech. He says that BMW engines are built with a 20% margin of mileage and that any lower would compromise reliability. It's worth a read.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-