Bahrain GP situation: postponed, reinstated, cancelled

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Race in Bahrain?

Yes.
29%
Don't care either way.
8%
No.
63%

Total votes: 93

Max Speed
Max Speed

Bahrain GP situation: postponed, reinstated, cancelled

There are rumours that Bernie Ecclestone has been in discussion with the Brazilian GP organisers for a date change to allow Bahrain to take its date. Not only is Interlagos a wonderful place to finish the season, but can you imagine just how innapropriate it would be to "celebrate" the season's end in a country with such violence and political unrest? Normally I would say that Sport and politics should not mix, but this one would be too hard to stomach.
Last edited by Giblet on 05 Apr 2012, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added simple poll

RabMcH

Re: Change of date for Bahrain

Are they keeping the new version of the Bahrain track they had last year? Also, I think Interlagos would be a more exciting end to the season.

SiLo

Interlagos has possible the best atmosphere of all the tracks they go to, it should always be at the end of the season to finish on a high.
Felipe Baby!

WhiteBlue

I don't think that F1 will go to a country that is in occupation and a civil war. The risk to the teams would be too big. Bernie is after the money and the FiA are compromised by their own debts of favours but the teams should have enough clout to stop the nonsense of going to Bahrain this year.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

It would be interesting to see what the Bahrain GP organisers contract stipulates. I recall reading that there was not a force majeure clause.

It would appear that under the terms of their contract they have 2 options:

1. Run a race and pay the fees they agreed/legally obliged to pay,
OR
2. Don't run the race, however they are still bound to pay fees to MrE.

To say that MrE is on a money hunt is incorrect. He is merely giving Bahrain as many chances as possible to get something for the fees they will be paying. The Bahraini Government have got themselves into several messes (with the GP being largely irrelevant).

It is worth noting that the financial losses for not running the GP extend beyond the pockets of MrE and the F1 teams.

Whilst I have lots of sympathy for the regular Bahraini people who have suffered, I have no sympathy for the race organisers or whoever signed the contract with MrE. If you are signing a legally binding document, you should read every single word carefully, and get clarification on any points which are not clear. If the race organisers have not done this then tough, that is their problem.

Ultimately, if FOTA turn round and say they will not race then there will not be a race.

Tufty
Tufty

andrew wrote:Ultimately, if FOTA turn round and say they will not race then there will not be a race.
In turn though they can be fined for refusing to show up to a race - that's always been part of the Concorde Agreement, as far as I know. It was certainly used against Arrows back in 2002.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars, thinking "where the hell is the ceiling?!"

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Tufty wrote:
andrew wrote:Ultimately, if FOTA turn round and say they will not race then there will not be a race.
In turn though they can be fined for refusing to show up to a race - that's always been part of the Concorde Agreement, as far as I know. It was certainly used against Arrows back in 2002.
True but if all the teams were to say that they won't race, I can't see MrE having all teams fined, especially as Concorde Agreement is up for negotiation.

spinmastermic

The teams could agree not to race because of safety concerns. But Bernie would hate that. He'll do everything he can to make every team race.

Worse case, all the teams do just the formation lap and pull in, like Indy '05.

Max Speed
Max Speed

The latest news on the obsession to cram strife-torn Bahrain into this year's schedule is that they may give Bahrain the original date for the Indian GP, meaning to say that the season could finish in India on December the 5th. Wow, thanks lads, nothing like finishing an exiting season in a country steeped in motor sport tradition! Hard to believe that the great motor racing nation of France does not even have a GP any more!

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

The teams and their suppliers will not like the distance involved.

If they wanted to, it could be dont like this:

(Currently)
31 July - Hungary
28 August - Belgum
11 September - Italy
25 September - Singapore
9 October - Japan
16 October - South Korea
30 October - India
13 November - Abu Dhabi
("Post Season" Young Drivers Test)
27 November - Brazil

(Currently)
31 July - Hungary
28 August - Belgum
11 September - Italy
25 September - Singapore
9 October - Japan
16 October - South Korea
30 October - India
6 November - Bahrain
13 November - Abu Dhabi
("Post Season" Young Drivers Test)
27 November - Brazil

To me, i think it would be wise to forget about Bahrain, as there is a couple of theams that have said they wand compensation to go, not to mention decent enoughh security. Its fine for the drivers and teams that go, they will be fine, they will be gaurded well enough that they can go racing, but its the jurnalists that go and stay off the beaten track, they will be fearful of going.

I say forget about Bahrain and let the season play out as it is.

Im starting to think that the season finishing in Brazil is a bit weird now, and am thinking would it be wise to put it in the same strand of the season next year as what Canada/America is on??? It would make logistical sence to me, as the teams would be in roughly the same location for 5 different areas of the season.

Logistically the callander is now looking like one massive mess, and with the rumors of a African GP return in 2014/2015 as well as a Russian GP arround then at Socchi, the teams will start to look increasingly streached and tired, not to mention the need for 2 sets of gear that will soon be the norm for all teams.

On Bahrain, again, im not in favour, and will not be in favour this year. Nexy year id welcome it back with Caution as i dont think F1 should be going to countries that beat down on its people. But Sport and Politics dont mix!!!

beelsebob
beelsebob

spinmastermic wrote:The teams could agree not to race because of safety concerns. But Bernie would hate that. He'll do everything he can to make every team race.

Worse case, all the teams do just the formation lap and pull in, like Indy '05.
Actually, putting it on last is clever – it means most of the teams would still be fighting for TV money (though it admittedly looks like P1 will be settled by then), and will be more willing to turn up and fight for an extra placing or two.

SiLo

Brazil has to be the final race for the year. It's the ONLY place an F1 season should end.
Felipe Baby!

beelsebob
beelsebob

SiLo wrote:Brazil has to be the final race for the year. It's the ONLY place an F1 season should end.
Not Sazuka then? Or Adalade?

TzeiTzei
TzeiTzei

SiLo wrote:Brazil has to be the final race for the year. It's the ONLY place an F1 season should end.
So true. There's something special about Interlagos.

I don't think F1 should have anything to do with a country that treats it's people like Bahrain does.

multisync
multisync

beelsebob wrote:
Not Sazuka then? Or Adalade?

Adelaide for me was best end of season race.

However it's looking more likely to be India which would help them as from the last set of pictures I saw, they have little or no chance of hitting their allocated slot and another couple of months would make a huge difference..