Sketchup Car AB-01 - etsmc

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
etsmc
etsmc

Sketchup Car AB-01 - etsmc

Well decided to get in on the action been reading the forums for a while and found this formula sketchup but a bit too late..
never done anything with CAD so got sketchup and started to play..
I must admit i did borrow the F1_2012 model from the sketchup warehouse but only for the difficult stuff(cockpit, suspension, gearbox)until i get better at it.
Started work on the sidepods first and i think its different with the outlet for the air flow through the radiators to come out at the back of the sidepods at the floor to flow over the diffuser.
Be kind but what do you think so far.

N12ck

Re: Sketchup Car AB-01

etsmc wrote:Well decided to get in on the action been reading the forums for a while and found this formula sketchup but a bit too late..
never done anything with CAD so got sketchup and started to play..
I must admit i did borrow the F1_2012 model from the sketchup warehouse but only for the difficult stuff(cockpit, suspension, gearbox)until i get better at it.
Started work on the sidepods first and i think its different with the outlet for the air flow through the radiators to come out at the back of the sidepods at the floor to flow over the diffuser.
Be kind but what do you think so far.
Not bad for a first attempt, I would work on the sidepod coke bottle from the splitter a bit more, as it seems a bit unsmooth, not sure on the design of the front wing, but not too bad, one thing I would say is remove all the textures from the object it allows the object to load quicker,
Budding F1 Engineer

etsmc
etsmc

bit of an update
Started on the nosecone but i have a feeling it might be a tad too long at the moment.
i know the suspension is sticking out from the top and under the nosecone but think i will make my own suspension once the bodywork is nearer completion.
will be staring on the engine cover after the nosecone is done then on to the front and rear wings.

etsmc
etsmc

having some issues with creating the engine cover. anyone care to share how they are doing this as there are so many curved surfaces all meeting in one area.
:wtf:

RicME85

I too was having a similar problem until I decided to do something which seems rather obvious. I used the follow me tool on the airbox to take it down to the engine, just as it would if you looked under the engine cover and then went from there.

To fill the rest of the area in have a look at this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67WBqL7wHxY

etsmc
etsmc

Thanks i have used the follow me tool and been able to create the curve from the airbox down to the gearbox but from there to the sidepods i just cant get it right and where the cockpit sides are is another problem area.
Downloaded a couple of skining plugins so will have a play with them.

jordangp

I would recommend to never use the follow-me tool, because it leaves gaps, and is patchy, and has horrible messy geometry.

Instead I use the push/pull tool and do everything manually. It's the only way to make sure everything lines up correctly. Otherwise, your car will not be ideally smooth, or flow as well as it could do.

N12ck

jordangp wrote:I would recommend to never use the follow-me tool, because it leaves gaps, and is patchy, and has horrible messy geometry.

Instead I use the push/pull tool and do everything manually. It's the only way to make sure everything lines up correctly. Otherwise, your car will not be ideally smooth, or flow as well as it could do.
I never used the follow me tool once in my car, other than the wheels, When you go to mesh (if you run CFD) it will leave gaps,
Budding F1 Engineer

jordangp

N12ck wrote:
jordangp wrote:I would recommend to never use the follow-me tool, because it leaves gaps, and is patchy, and has horrible messy geometry.

I never used the follow me tool once in my car, other than the wheels, When you go to mesh (if you run CFD) it will leave gaps,
Exactly. Never trust follow-me :lol:

RicME85

how do you go to mesh and do CFD from Sketchup? Ive been trying all sorts of options but have failed.

MIKEY_!

Hey where did you get the driver's helmet from?

RicME85

its from the FS starter pack

jordangp

MIKEY_! wrote:Hey where did you get the driver's helmet from?
You can download that helmet from Google's 3D Warehouse. I think it was Tozza Mazza that upload it.

etsmc
etsmc

well been working on the car again.
I decided to scrap the last one and start from scratch by building the cockpit first and then move on from there.
Tried creating the car as one instead of in bits. sofar everything should be to current 2012 specs.
the car does seem to be a bit wide around the cockpit but it is the minimum width of 60mm according to the rules.
also the pylons to the front wing, how big can they be? i was reading the rules and the only thing i could find was
3.7.2 Any horizontal section taken through bodywork located forward of a point lying 450mm forward of the front wheel centre line, less than 250mm from the car centre line, and between 125mm and 200mm above the reference plane, may only contain two closed symmetrical sections with a maximum total area of 5000mm2. The thickness of each section may not exceed 25mm when measured perpendicular to the car centre line.
does that me they can only be 5000mm2 when viewed side on as mine currently are but they seem small.

astracrazy
astracrazy

looks good

gonna be starting my 3rd attempted tonight lol. I make small mistakes or forget about something. But i go too far for it to be a small adjustment so it looks good. But not far enough to warrant spending a lot of time on the adjustment to make it look good (if that makes sense) so just easier to start again.

do people use any shots of cars to aid them? if so what ones do you use?