Audi 1.8 TFSI EA888 engine

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Belatti

Audi 1.8 TFSI EA888 engine

Here, some nice read about current street engines tech, a baseline for those who praise the "road relevance" of future F1 engines... :D

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/muup ... 18TFSI.pdf

Interesting diesel-like power/rpm curve at low rpms, a design pointed to perform inside the rpm band mostly used in the street. Also high end power cut down for the sake of fuel economy.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

mx_tifoso

Re: Audi 1.8 TFSI EA888 engine

Seems like a good read from the quick glance, I'll get to it soon enough.

And I'm guessing you're still zipping around in your little Audi?

Espero estes bien, ya tenemos buen tiempo sin charlar.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Belatti

mx_tifoso wrote:Seems like a good read from the quick glance, I'll get to it soon enough.

And I'm guessing you're still zipping around in your little Audi?

Espero estes bien, ya tenemos buen tiempo sin charlar.
Nope, my current job was asking for a 1.2 liter engine (good diesels are expensive arround here and there is no difference between both fuel prices)
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

ds.raikkonen

Oh, I was going through this one in the morning:
http://www.aachen-colloquium.com/pdf/Vo ... s_Audi.pdf
from the 20th Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology 2011. Interesting dual-injection through a medium pressure nozzle in the intake manifold and a high pressure injector which is direct for medium and high load conditions. Helps during cold starts and keeps the emissions low.
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

Belatti

Thanks for the paper ds, thats what I was looking for. Audi claim massive fuel consumption reduction because of the dual injection, mainly in partial load (lets say thats 99% of the use those engines are gone be given) condition. It also helps the rapid warmup because of the coolant flow management system.

ds.raikkonen

Belatti wrote:Thanks for the paper ds, thats what I was looking for. Audi claim massive fuel consumption reduction because of the dual injection, mainly in partial load (lets say thats 99% of the use those engines are gone be given) condition. It also helps the rapid warmup because of the coolant flow management system.
Anytime mate :wink: Yes, and what's more special is the integrated exhaust manifold in the cylinder head! That's pretty neat, cools down the exhaust gases and allows for a higher combustion temp, thus increasing the thermal efficiency and reducing the fuel consumption at higher loads.
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

RacingManiac

2 liter version will find its way to the next GTI from VW. To note though, Toyota have been using dual injection in some of their DI engine already, namely the 3.5 V6 found in Lexus IS350, and the new GT86's Subaru 2.0 boxer(Toyota system is coined D4-S).

The concept may also help with the carbon deposit buildup issue in the current generation of DI engine.

Manferd Manny

Look like a high-quality read from the fast quick look, I will get to it almost immediately enough.

And I am supposing you are still zipping around in your modest BMW or Audi A8?

bizadfar

what?

EGTs of turbo (even small snails) easily get 1000-1200C. This is just going to transfer heat to cyl head.

Integrated manifold to cyl head. Gee I wonder what happens when it cracks. They all crack one day, cast or tubular. It'd be the engine enthusiasts better stay away from.