GP1 Series?

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
N12ck

GP1 Series?

You may have seen in the news that Flavio Briatorie seems to be writing the rules for GP1,

Will it:
Be a rival to f1?
Be a 1 make series like GP2 but faster?
Or will it be different cars within tighter rules aimed at just below F1?

Nick :)
Budding F1 Engineer

mx_tifoso

Re: GP1 Series?

Tomba is already anxiously working on GP1Technical.net.

But no, I don't see it happening. F1 is more than enough imo.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

bhall

I could see a GP1 series being a direct challenger to F1.

One of Moseley's ideas for F1 was to allow virtually unrestricted regulations for teams that adhered to a specific yearly budget cap. If GP1 has the support of manufacturers like Honda, Toyota or BMW, teams that left F1 due to restrictive regulations combined with high costs, it could easily be a viable alternative to "the pinnacle of motorsport."

F1 has made enemies of a lot of circuits and manufacturers over the years, and those dogs might just be getting ready to bite back.

ESPImperium

GP1 is being worked on, be no doubt about it. F1 will continue but GP1 will eventually lead to being on the same card as WSBR and the clean up of the single seater callender with F1/GP2/GP3 being one week with GP1/WSBR3.5/F2 being the next week.

The rules for GP1 as i understand from previous rumors is that the cost for the 12 teams will be €40m with a spec chassis from Dallara or another manufactutrer, with the only design freedoms being the front wing and rear wings. The engines that are to be used are those from manufacturers in F1 and those who have left F1 into a spec X-Trac or a Hewland gearbox. Teams can only update a wing twice a year, and that would then mean no high or low downforce configurations for Monza or Monaco. Teams could go back to a previous wing if they want. Electronics would be spec as well.

The idea of GP1 is to be as fast as F1 but without the same aero influence over the car. Meaning that engines, tyres and most of all drivers have more of a influence over things. By as fast as F1, think to where the lead Q2 drivers that get knocked out at present get to time wise at any of the present tracks, so 1 second off the pace of the top cars now.

There would also be a point of GP1 to have no engine supplyer supply no more than 2 teams and lo less than 2 teams, there would also be a tyre war with as many as 4 different manufacturers wanted, thus meaning that GP1 would be a formula led by competition on a budget and a formula led by wise development and no unjust spending.

GP1 is something id like to see succeed as i personally think that F1 needs a compeditor in order for good drivers to get a chance to get a championship and also a championship that will make F1 drivers be the best of the best.

PNSD

I thought Bernie owned the rights to the name GP1?

When MotoGP tried to buy it, a story came about that Bernie acquired the name at the same he did for GP2... and GP3. You would imagine his masterplan was for GP1, however it was probably more of a backup.

If the F1 operation went tit's up there was at least another similar name he could use for a new series.

As for a rival to F1... don't count on it. I cant' see it happening.

Also, if Flavio is writing the rules, or has political influence then do not count on it whatsoever.

BoomBoom

I found this picture on the facebook:

Its fake or not?

PNSD

Yes. That's a 3D render of one of the rejected Indycar proposals I believe? Swift IIRC?

Cam

bhallg2k wrote:I could see a GP1 series being a direct challenger to F1.

One of Moseley's ideas for F1 was to allow virtually unrestricted regulations for teams that adhered to a specific yearly budget cap. If GP1 has the support of manufacturers like Honda, Toyota or BMW, teams that left F1 due to restrictive regulations combined with high costs, it could easily be a viable alternative to "the pinnacle of motorsport."

F1 has made enemies of a lot of circuits and manufacturers over the years, and those dogs might just be getting ready to bite back.
I agree 100%. If GP1 comes alive and lives up to this expectation, I for one will switch. Give the teams a budget and a bounding box the car must sit within and go racing. Do what you can with what you have. Imagine what we'll see. =D>
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

raymondu999

Cam wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:I could see a GP1 series being a direct challenger to F1.

I agree 100%. If GP1 comes alive and lives up to this expectation, I for one will switch. Give the teams a budget and a bounding box the car must sit within and go racing. Do what you can with what you have. Imagine what we'll see. =D>
I think it'll be the opposite really. Generally the "Formula" serie of racing has been for different cars, while the "GP" serie have been on spec cars.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Cam

For the GP series generally, you're right. However I hope the GP1 blazes it's own new path. Guess we'll all know soon enough. What would you do raymondu999? Would a totally radical new open spec series be something worthy, or do you think he world needs yet another tightly controlled series to clamber for sponsors cash?
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

raymondu999

I think an extreme is never desirable. You always want some compromise along the way. I wouldn't want to watch an entirely rule-free formula, but maybe a bit more governance. Also I wouldn't watch a completely spec formula where everyone races IDENTICAL (down to setup) cars.

I prefer it a bit more like how things were 2009-2011. I love it when teams have radically different approaches, and produce awesomely similar laptimes.

I'd have that generation of F1 - damn the DRS and all - and make GP1 a "spec" series. GP2's "real" big brother.

Of course this is talking ideal world scenarios for me - not talking with the financial considerations in mind! :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

N12ck

If it was me, I would open up the regs quite alot, possibly 2008 regulations, :D
Budding F1 Engineer

Cam

raymondu999 wrote:I think an extreme is never desirable. You always want some compromise along the way. I wouldn't want to watch an entirely rule-free formula, but maybe a bit more governance. Also I wouldn't watch a completely spec formula where everyone races IDENTICAL (down to setup) cars.

I prefer it a bit more like how things were 2009-2011. I love it when teams have radically different approaches, and produce awesomely similar laptimes.

I'd have that generation of F1 - damn the DRS and all - and make GP1 a "spec" series. GP2's "real" big brother.

Of course this is talking ideal world scenarios for me - not talking with the financial considerations in mind! :lol:
So you're saying revert F1 back a bit and leave GP1 soley as new tier spec series and not a possible F1 replacement? Yeah, maybe. I don't see why we need to have a new spec series. GP2 is already a feeder category to F1 (along with others) so why the need to fit another step? I would have through getting sponsors cash would already be quite difficult with big names stepping back as it is, so trying to fund another 20 cars and teams would due quite hard when it's just a 'step' category.

On the other hand, if it was a direct competitor to F1, then that I understand why it would exist and as a business startup, I would throw some cash at it and others would too as it has potential and would certainly get people talking.

GP1 might even take a leaf out of Mr Packers book with what he did with Cricket. He took an established sport, with roots and history and turned it into One Day cricket which has turned into 20/20. It was a brave move which had many vocal haters, but ultimately it worked. Perhaps GP1 could offshoot in some standalone way that compliments F1? Either way I'm looking forward to what might be.
― Socrates

raymondu999

Cam wrote:So you're saying revert F1 back a bit and leave GP1 soley as new tier spec series and not a possible F1 replacement?
Yes, kinda.
I don't see why we need to have a new spec series. GP2 is already a feeder category to F1 (along with others) so why the need to fit another step?
I don't generally mind a lack of on-track action, but one cannot deny that F1 (reverted to pre-Pirelli and pre-DRS) is somewhat overtake-anemic. This is to cater to those folks. And those who prefer to see everyone driving the same machine, and by extension the only differences in pace would be driver and setup. They CAN watch GP2... but sometimes I find it a bit slow to be honest. Hard to not do that when the comparison is F1.
trying to fund another 20 cars and teams would due quite hard when it's just a 'step' category.
Imagine a tree which has two branches at the same height. One is GP1, one is F1 - ie both are the same "level" - but they serve different purposes. Neither are feeders, and GP2 instead will have 2 avenues of progression - GP1 and F1.
On the other hand, if it was a direct competitor to F1, then that I understand why it would exist and as a business startup, I would throw some cash at it and others would too as it has potential and would certainly get people talking.
I'd watch it. But doesn't necessarily mean I'll throw money at it.
Perhaps GP1 could offshoot in some standalone way that compliments F1?
Random thought, in the pre-coffee morning - perhaps everyone could be given the same base chassis, then everyone would need to put updates on the car race by race? ie incorporate F1's development race.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Paul

raymondu999 wrote:I'd watch it. But doesn't necessarily mean I'll throw money at it.
If you'll watch it, someone will throw a bit of cash at it. That's how it works.