Money to decide rest of the season?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Steven
Owner

Money to decide rest of the season?

It seems like they have found a solution to their problem of getting the tires warmed up quickly. First qualifying in Imola looks promising, with raikkonen on provisional pole...

It is quite interesting to see so many different teams competing for the top spots. BAR have gained pace (and reliability, giving that they tested incredibly much during the last 3 weeks), Ferrari is back and Williams is improving their aero too.

Well what I want to say or ask: I think Renault will slightly lose their advangtage over a few or at least one other team because of those teams having big budgets. I mean Ferrari, Toyota, Williams, McLaren and BAR all have more money available (so it is said and believed). It may well influence inseason development. Don't you all think so?

No. I can assure you that if renault for one minute think there is a chance to win this.. then the parent company will pump millions into this season to make sure they dont mess up...

jaslfc
jaslfc

I think the reason renault is so superior is just because of the car/tyre worked so well straight away at the begining of the season. if i was not mistaken flavio said that 'less is more'- that means they plan to test less. I think the other teams will close the gap and eventually be faster because of 2 reason. 1) ferrari just got their new car -- we can see the potential of it... with abit of develpment i think it will overtake the renault. 2) mclaren has had the fastest car (race pace) like u said now they sorted out their problem i think they will be in it. I dont think renault will win the constructors championship but i think alonso may get the title.

West
West

Ferrari have shown that money is the answer, with their testing regime proving valuable in Imola. And of course, without them in the gentlemen's agreement of testing, they're just going to get better.

I liked the letter in F1 Racing magazine from the guy who is disappointed in the way Ferrari is running things, and he's a lifelong tifoso.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

icef1mkd
icef1mkd

Holding off the mighty Ferrari at home soil and fans, well that's a great thing, you must admitt.
In my oppinion Renault will have really tough job ahead of them since the competition has closed the gap. but this year Renault is relying on performance, not on realiability or other "tricks" like last year.
it will be really tough and close, but they certanly have the devotion and talent to do it.
when they achieve their goal (Constructors Championship) they can leave F1 with peace and pride in their souls.
"You will never know the feeling of a driver
when winning a race. The helmet hides feelings
that cannot be understood."
Ayrton Senna, November 1988

jaslfc
jaslfc

i still think mclaren and ferrari is goin to be better than renault in coming races.. BAR is still not there yet.. if u recall even last year the BAR was quick when it was light on fuel but just after pitting it was off the pace of the leading drivers.. untill they address that problem i thiink they only can win the race by luck

bcsolutions

Judging by Sundays performance Ferrari now have the fastest car. Couple this with a confidence inspired Schumacher and I think BAR, Renault, Mclaren and Toyota are now battling for second place. This season has been great viewing so far so i hope i'm wrong!

Hudsonhawk
Hudsonhawk

It has been a fairly exciting season for some years now, but will we be heading back to FORMULA PITSTOP days. Shoie clearly had the fastest car by a possible couple of seconds.....not a small margin....yet he couldnt overtake alonso. 10 laps to do it and the "great" shoie couldnt overtake the donkey chaser....the only other place that will decide a victor may well be in the pits AGAIN.

Completely agree with you tomba......but how is money deciding the rest of this season any different to the last 5 seasons ? OR is it more transparent this season, because we saw how far ferrari were behind and then they spend 16 days of the 3 weeks off testing and pouring dolars into their car ?!?!?

Catchya on the highway
Hudson

bcsolutions

Hudsonhawk wrote:yet he couldnt overtake alonso. 10 laps to do it and the "great" shoie couldnt overtake the donkey chaser
Alonso didn't fold under pressure, thats why Schumacher couldn't pass, and Imola is horrible for overtaking. I wonder if he'd have been able to get past Button if pit stops hadn't intervened.

It looks again as though Ferrari have bought their way back into contention.

West
West

I don't blame Ferrari for testing; that's what all teams should do. Of course, the only way your car is going to evolve is through testing and throwing money at it.

I just don't like how all the other teams agreed to only 30 days and Ferrari just HAS to test as much as they want. That and that they think they're "stars." Not even the New York Yankees think like that.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Hudsonhawk
Hudsonhawk

Agreed........to a point....

But money has ruined F1 West. Ferrari just showed what money can buy in this day and age. The more you spend the further ahead you get.....so its now a race to earn money, as opposed to a race to earn a victory, cause if you earn the dollars, you will buy victories. That’s fine if that’s what you want F1 to be......I don’t enjoy "follow the leader" and neither do the majority of F1 viewers (FACT !!).....and the money in F1 will dry up when the viewers bail !!

F1 used to be about man and machine......

The changes to F1 were designed to re-introduce racing and overtaking. Now....not that I completely agree with the changes, but let’s face it, it did make the most exciting start to a season in a long time. (in the sense that there was quite a lot of "racing" for once). The 30-day rule would slow down the ability of a team to manipulate the vehicle to the rules.