2012 Canadian GP - Gilles Villeneuve

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
astracrazy
astracrazy

Re: Canadian GP 2012 - Gilles Villeneuve

beelsebob wrote:
marcush. wrote:according to whitmarsh Jenson had chosen a differnt rear suspension geometry to Hamilton which abused the rears more .He also had this problem with front lockup....I think they just blew the setup big time this weekend .
As I said above, not much blowing to do – he only had a quarter as long as everyone else to figure out how to get it set up.
Actually i'm sure in FP2 it may have been Brundle who said that it may have been better for him that he had less running. He goes round and round in circles with his set-ups that he doesn't actually get anywhere and ends up where he started. (is what basically Brundle said based on memory)

I do get a feeling with Button that as he has to have the car 100% how he likes, he prob knows how the weekend is going to go in the first 30mins of fp1
Last edited by astracrazy on 10 Jun 2012, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.

beelsebob
beelsebob

astracrazy wrote:it was so refreshing to see a driver (this case Hamilton) be able to more or less be flat on it for the whole race and not worry about tyre deg. This is what i want to see. I think the only period Hamilton held back was maybe the first 10 laps? After that he must of got on average the fastest lap every 6-7 laps... Fantastic to see and fantastic to see it the old Hamilton (but controlled)
Yeh, it was lovely to see Hamilton not attacking in those first 10 laps, but just keeping his tyres under control, safe in the knowledge he could reel Vettel in at the end of the stint.

alogoc
alogoc

Re: Ferrari F2012

that when Alonso and Hamilton had same type and age of tires Ferrari had better degradation
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

beelsebob
beelsebob

alogoc wrote:that when Alonso and Hamilton had same type and age of tires Ferrari had better degradation
So exactly what I said then?

astracrazy
astracrazy

beelsebob wrote:
astracrazy wrote:it was so refreshing to see a driver (this case Hamilton) be able to more or less be flat on it for the whole race and not worry about tyre deg. This is what i want to see. I think the only period Hamilton held back was maybe the first 10 laps? After that he must of got on average the fastest lap every 6-7 laps... Fantastic to see and fantastic to see it the old Hamilton (but controlled)
Yeh, it was lovely to see Hamilton not attacking in those first 10 laps, but just keeping his tyres under control, safe in the knowledge he could reel Vettel in at the end of the stint.
Hamilton will take off now i expect, not win perhaps but solid podiums. Watching post interviews he sounds so happy as if he has won his first race.

bhall
bhall

There's nothing inherently wrong with the way the F2012 used its tires today. Ferrari just made a bad call when they switched Alonso on a one-stop strategy. For the one thing, the car wasn't set up for it. Also, Alonso didn't start off the second stint with a controlled, make-this-set-last mindset.

The team got greedy today and thought they could punish McLaren's continued pit stop troubles by stealing the win out from under their noses. It just didn't work.

At all.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

astracrazy wrote: Hamilton will take off now i expect, not win perhaps but solid podiums. Watching post interviews he sounds so happy as if he has won his first race.
After a disaster of a 2011 and the load of failings from the team in general this year despite him driving probably his best season in years with almost faultless drives, he was seriously hungry for it and it made him appreciate it so much more.

I refuse to attempt to predict anything this season though.

Jenson was "the guy" for the championship just six races ago. Now his aim is simply getting into Q3 and not being out done by lower teams around him.

Massa is now showing that he has pace despite his mistake and Alonso has been at the top end of the Championship for a long time despite their poor showings in the first races.

Things change in 2012 and when they change, they change BIG time.

myurr
myurr

He seems to have managed to get on top of the tyres now, at least as much as the car will let him. Race pace will still fluctuate a little I'd imagine, but if he can target podiums for the rest of the year and winning when he can then he's got to be in with a great shout for the championship. I don't think Valencia will be a particularly strong race for McLaren, but they should absolutely fly in Silverstone.

Ray

If Buttons' set up issues are as serious as they look and as severe as people think, then he needs either a slap upside the head, a new engineer or both. He can screw it up on setup six ways from Sunday, but he needs a headstong engineer who won't give him what he wants, but instead give him what he needs. A good engineer can do wonders for a guy chasing his tail. I want Button to succeed and maybe like they are doing with the pit crews Jenson may need a shakeup on his side of the garage and be given an engineer that won't allow him to grab for his ass in the dark every weekend.

alogoc
alogoc

beelsebob wrote:
alogoc wrote:that when Alonso and Hamilton had same type and age of tires Ferrari had better degradation
So exactly what I said then?

yes i didnt even read! :D
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

sAx
sAx

[/quote]
Button changed had an oil leak in FP1, and changed his gearbox before FP2 resulting in a grid drop.[/quote]

?? Have we been watching the same GP weekend??
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

marcush.
marcush.

n smikle wrote:paddy Lowe said the cars are exactly the same.... Only difference is setup.
so whitmarsh and lowe contradicting statements ...maybe whitmarsh does not know the difference between setup and different suspension layout....maybe we cut it too fine there...surely the cars were not the same .And maybe button should have chosen Hamsys setup or is it possible he would have been even slower trying this...

beelsebob
beelsebob

marcush. wrote:
n smikle wrote:paddy Lowe said the cars are exactly the same.... Only difference is setup.
so whitmarsh and lowe contradicting statements ...maybe whitmarsh does not know the difference between setup and different suspension layout....maybe we cut it too fine there...surely the cars were not the same .And maybe button should have chosen Hamsys setup or is it possible he would have been even slower trying this...
Since when are different suspension geometry and different setup mutually exclusive concepts? It's entirely plausible (nee probable in fact) that they have methods of slightly altering the geometry of the suspension for setup purposes.

myurr
myurr

Ted clarified that Button had a different suspension geometry on Friday but it was reverted to the older setup on Saturday after his limited running. So both were correct to a degree.

Ray

beelsebob wrote: Since when are different suspension geometry and different setup mutually exclusive concepts? It's entirely plausible (nee probable in fact) that they have methods of slightly altering the geometry of the suspension for setup purposes.
I understand what you are getting at and agree to a certain point. In my mind different "setup" means same car and suspension but with different adjustments made to each car to suit the driving style and needs of each driver. Different suspension geometry to me means completely different components on the cars and means that they are different specifications and not the same setup because they can't be by nature of having components that react and behave differently from one another. But yeah, they can be interchangeable in speech but that's usually followed by statements that they have different wishbones or something similar. At least that's how I see it. :mrgreen: