LMP1 (kind of) - allstaruk08

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
allstaruk08

LMP1 (kind of) - allstaruk08

hello people well i got the pencils and paper out again and freehanded a car loosely based on the LMP1's, this is the first set of drawing i'v done for it and i'm hoping to build it out of card soon. i might tweek the design a bit i'm not sure on a few parts yet.

MIKEY_!

Re: LMP1 (kind of)

COOL!

AlpineF1

Re: LMP1 (kind of) - allstaruk08

oh wow!! nice to see somebody using the good old pad of paper :D i will be following this
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

allstaruk08

i was going to make a double diffuser but the whole point of them was because of the regulations in F1 at the time so would i be better of just making a bigger diffuser ?

N12ck

allstaruk08 wrote:i was going to make a double diffuser but the whole point of them was because of the regulations in F1 at the time so would i be better of just making a bigger diffuser ?
yes, as you say, double diffuser was to get more volume out of the diffusers legally, a bigger diffuser would be better, what would be interesting however is an F duct :D
Budding F1 Engineer

allstaruk08

i never even thought of an F-duct :D im not sure where them 2 holes at the front are going to be ducted maybe they can be used, is it possible to stall the diffuser? if it is would i have to design it to stall the whole floor or could i just stall the back?

N12ck

allstaruk08 wrote:i never even thought of an F-duct :D im not sure where them 2 holes at the front are going to be ducted maybe they can be used, is it possible to stall the diffuser? if it is would i have to design it to stall the whole floor or could i just stall the back?
yes you can stall the diffuser, but I imagine that would be quite dangerous, for the reasons that it would wreck the seal with the floor, and also it could make the car unstable at high speed,
Budding F1 Engineer

Pierce89

Diffusers can be stalled, but they're such efficient DF producers, that you lose a huge amount of DF for given amount of drag reduction in comparison to a rear wing for example.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

allstaruk08

So I would be better of stalling the rear wing and not the floor?
Another thing I was thinking about was the air under the floor behind the front wheels and infront of the rear wheel, could I actually create a double diffuser and suck the air in from there since it seems to be wasted just hitting the rear wheel and creating a heap of drag, or will it get sucked inwards to the diffuser instead?

Pierce89

Yes, rear wing woild be better to stall. As for air under the outside edges of the floor, diffuser's low pressure zone will pull it back inwards.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

allstaruk08

So if I did have ducts for the upper section of the diffuser on the outter edge of the floor would it increase the downforce and suck more air in or would it disrupt the airflow too much

i drew a quick drawing of what i mean

would this suck in more air from the sides, or would it disrupt air flow ?

N12ck

allstaruk08 wrote:So if I did have ducts for the upper section of the diffuser on the outter edge of the floor would it increase the downforce and suck more air in or would it disrupt the airflow too much

i drew a quick drawing of what i mean

would this suck in more air from the sides, or would it disrupt air flow ?
If you suck in air from above the floor it makes the floor itself less effective, so it would be much better if you just made wheelarches or something like the LMP cars at the front wheels,
Budding F1 Engineer

allstaruk08

that image is from below the floor im not feeding the diffuser from above the floor, think of the double diffuser holes in the 09-10 F1 cars floors but the holes are out wide on the floor i'v drawn.

N12ck

the double diffusers were fed from the Step between the step plane and the reference plane ahead of the diffuser
Budding F1 Engineer

allstaruk08

yeah... and the slot i have is the same principle but ducting from out wide (in effect widening the diffuser thats how i was thinking it would work maybe i got it wrong). im just asking if it would work or not :)