2012 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

2012 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa

Strategy
2012 tyres - Hard (prime, silver) and Medium (option, white)
2011 tyres - Medium (prime, white) and Soft (option, yellow)

2011 onboard (Alonso P8, pole lap unavailable):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFxKYPwxNV8[/youtube]
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

Re: 2012 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa

What's the point of them making the compounds softer, if they're going to bring the harder step to each race? Last year they brought soft and medium here. With the 2012 compounds being softer, (Paul Hembery said the 2012 Hard was basically almost the same as the 2011 medium, and the supersoft remained identical in both years) what exactly is the point of changing them in the first place?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:What's the point of them making the compounds softer, if they're going to bring the harder step to each race? Last year they brought soft and medium here. With the 2012 compounds being softer, (Paul Hembery said the 2012 Hard was basically almost the same as the 2011 medium, and the supersoft remained identical in both years) what exactly is the point of changing them in the first place?
The point was that they never wanted to use the hard, and wanted to use something softer than the SS at some races.

raymondu999

I meant, they're basixally bringing last year's same compounds, just under a different name. In which case the renaming, in the context of this race, seems somewhat - nay, VERY - redundant?

Als, the ss is identical to last year's, so slight factual error in your post there
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:I meant, they're basixally bringing last year's same compounds, just under a different name. In which case the renaming, in the context of this race, seems somewhat - nay, VERY - redundant?

Als, the ss is identical to last year's, so slight factual error in your post there
Sure, to this race... But the races that had the hard compound last year no longer do, and the races that have the supersoft compound this year have a new compound.

SeijaKessen

I think tire strategy will probably be O-P-P.

Unless a team has severe tire wear issues we might see a 3-stopper, but I doubt it for the top teams.

raymondu999

SeijaKessen wrote:I think tire strategy will probably be O-P-P.

Unless a team has severe tire wear issues we might see a 3-stopper, but I doubt it for the top teams.
OPP is a definite possibility. But I also see some teams going OOOP for a quicker pace, so that they can really push. Spa's got a good record for overtaking possibilities, which means that teams will default to the quickest possible strategy rather than track position.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando

I´m gonna go with my boy Hamilton (not boy in a racist way ;))

I think the Mclaren will just fly around here and because of the track nature i expect Button to be up there as well.
Also expecting Rosberg somewhere up there in Qualifying but then will drop back to his "normal" spot.

Ferrari i think will be outside the Top 6, possibly we see Alonso doing a banzai lap again.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Guisson

Here is last Year's Pole ( flat out Throught Raidillon and Blanchimont wow)
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.ph ... 9807534733
Last Year's Qualifying was amazing i hope we get the same this year
@Seija , Supersoft in Spa ?
Last Year the Softs were Blistering only because some teams ( especially Red Bull) had aggressive camber ( Nearly -5.0)
My bets are with the Hamilton ..He seems to have a great car potential to achieve pole
The task is,not so much to see what no one has yet seenbut to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees. Erwin Schrödinger

N12ck

RB_[Gnx] wrote:Here is last Year's Pole ( flat out Throught Raidillon and Blanchimont wow)
Last Year the Softs were Blistering only because some teams ( especially Red Bull) had aggressive camber ( Nearly -5.0)
My bets are with the Hamilton ..He seems to have a great car potential to achieve pole
I think the safe bet now in each race is with Hamilton :D
Budding F1 Engineer

PlatinumZealot

How can you people leave out Raikkonen? His car is a genuine winner waiting in the wings.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Nando

I hope we see Part 2 of this :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K9P9z_Lwa0[/youtube]
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

SeijaKessen

RB_[Gnx] wrote:Here is last Year's Pole ( flat out Throught Raidillon and Blanchimont wow)
That was a dumb mental mistake.

I should probably refrain from making posts when I am in the middle of a thought regarding something unrelated.

Hamilton definitely has a good chance to take pole at Spa assuming the weather on Saturday is dry. However, I wouldn't discount Alonso or one of the Lotus boys from grabbing pole. I don't see Vettel or Webber taking pole here.

One person to keep an eye on during Q is Bruno Senna. He qualified 7th last year here in that not-so-stellar Renault. I think it will depend greatly on if the FW34 has a good setup to carry through the corners.

Guisson

@N12ck Yeah Dry = Hamilton , Wet = Alonso ! Jackpot \o/
I don't exclude Kimi as Spa is Iceman's Playground :)
The task is,not so much to see what no one has yet seenbut to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees. Erwin Schrödinger

FLuidd

Kimi will win this one , I can feel it.

Also Alonso drives a car that is very good in high-speed corners.