2012 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Ral
Ral

Re: 2012 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa

beelsebob wrote:
Nando wrote:You can´t really go by the above and expect to use it as a blueprint for what´s to come.
It doesnt include future updates as well.
You certainly can get *some* information out of it. Clearly it won't predict an exact result, that doesn't mean you can't make general predictions like "McLaren should be quick here", "Ferrari should do okay here", or "Lotus won't run well here unless their new upgrade is sensational".
You keep saying that about Lotus, but their pace in Hockenheim and Silverstone was on par with the front runners, just about 10 seconds back due to traffic in the first stint. As Alan Permane puts it:
"I'm not sure if the heat benefits us, or hurts other people, although I guess that's the same thing! Everyone loses a bit when it gets very hot like that, but maybe it hurts us less than other people. The only time we may have struggled was in China, where we saw those quite cool temperatures. We know far more about the tyres now than we did then, so I'd even be confident if we went somewhere very cold."

Nando
Nando

beelsebob wrote:Yes it is – that's my point... We've had some races, now we can be smart about predicting what might happen at future ones.
A look at history shows us nothing frankly. Absolutely zero.
You can say RBR Mclaren Renault and Ferrari might be fighting for a win but more specific then that is pure guess work.
beelsebob wrote:Yes it has – when has it gone up and down, in what conditions has it worked? Do these map onto the conditions we'll see at Spa, what does that say about how fast the team will be there?
Again, you have no idea what updates the teams will bring.
Teams have been strong and weak in totally different temps, totally different wear and degradation on cars throughout the races etc.
beelsebob wrote:Agreed, McLaren's wet pace is a mystery, we can't predict that, that doesn't mean we can't predict anything.
Ok Nostradamus, predict the winner. What car will be quickest in SPA.

I garantuee you it will be one big guess. What you can say is this and this and this team will probably be competitive.
But it´s just guess work again.

beelsebob wrote:You certainly can get *some* information out of it. Clearly it won't predict an exact result, that doesn't mean you can't make general predictions like "McLaren should be quick here", "Ferrari should do okay here", or "Lotus won't run well here unless their new upgrade is sensational".
It´s just guesses though. You can´t really predict anything, just guess and say well Mclaren has ran good in this condition.
But then you have a contradiction from another race saying this condition is not good for Mclaren.

It´s all guesses. Some will guess right but nobody will know for sure who has the quickest car in SPA.
You have to take into consideration updates as well which can make you go from mid-field to winning races.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Richard
Richard

There's no need to get so heated. These are only guesses while we wait for the next race weekend to start.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Ral wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
Nando wrote:You can´t really go by the above and expect to use it as a blueprint for what´s to come.
It doesnt include future updates as well.
You certainly can get *some* information out of it. Clearly it won't predict an exact result, that doesn't mean you can't make general predictions like "McLaren should be quick here", "Ferrari should do okay here", or "Lotus won't run well here unless their new upgrade is sensational".
You keep saying that about Lotus, but their pace in Hockenheim and Silverstone was on par with the front runners, just about 10 seconds back due to traffic in the first stint. As Alan Permane puts it:
"I'm not sure if the heat benefits us, or hurts other people, although I guess that's the same thing! Everyone loses a bit when it gets very hot like that, but maybe it hurts us less than other people. The only time we may have struggled was in China, where we saw those quite cool temperatures. We know far more about the tyres now than we did then, so I'd even be confident if we went somewhere very cold."
I don't really see that Permane is disagreeing in any way... He's saying that relatively the lotus gains in the hot, it doesn't matter if that's because the other cars aren't kind to their tyres, it matters that it gains in the hot... I'm not excluding the posibility that a lotus will come top 2 in the cold, but the trend seems to be that if it's cool enough, then enough other people get in front of them (whether through qualifying or what) that they end up in 4th.
Agreed, McLaren's wet pace is a mystery, we can't predict that, that doesn't mean we can't predict anything.
Ok Nostradamus, predict the winner. What car will be quickest in SPA. [/quote]
Uhhh... Did you even read what I said? We *can't* predict some things... Again, that doesn't mean we can't predict anything. For reference though, I have made a prediction, several times already – that the winner will be one of the McLarens or Ferraris.

Nando
Nando

beelsebob wrote:For reference though, I have made a prediction, several times already – that the winner will be one of the McLarens or Ferraris.
And if Red Bull happens to win? Or even Renault?

beelsebob
beelsebob

Nando wrote:
beelsebob wrote:For reference though, I have made a prediction, several times already – that the winner will be one of the McLarens or Ferraris.
Then my prediction will have been wrong... What's your point?

Nando
Nando

beelsebob wrote:
Nando wrote:
Then my prediction will have been wrong... What's your point?
that´s my point.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Nando wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Then my prediction will have been wrong... What's your point?
that´s my point.
That predictions might be wrong? Wow, shocking. I'm sure we'll all be stunned by that revelation :o

Nando
Nando

beelsebob wrote:
Nando wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Then my prediction will have been wrong... What's your point?
that´s my point.
That predictions might be wrong? Wow, shocking. I'm sure we'll all be stunned by that revelation :o
Isn´t much of a prediction to begin with then? What im saying is that your "system" of checking past races really can´t be used as a predictor of what will happen in SPA.
And if RBR or Renault should win then the "system" obviously doesn´t work and 2012 season is indeed unpredictable.

Chuckjr

Macca pace was not and has not been astonishing. Lotus was right with them just this last race...and Lotus has yet to win or even get pole.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Mafia

Tsk Tsk, Fighting over If's and But's, What a way to waste precious brain guys :D
Fuel Minimum, Engine power Maximum, Comittement Off the scane

Mafia

Fast corners = Cars with longer wheelbase will have benefit (Now if you are going to ask which car has a longer wheelbase, Please dont)
Fuel Minimum, Engine power Maximum, Comittement Off the scane

beelsebob
beelsebob

Nando wrote:
beelsebob wrote:That predictions might be wrong? Wow, shocking. I'm sure we'll all be stunned by that revelation :o
Isn´t much of a prediction to begin with then? What im saying is that your "system" of checking past races really can´t be used as a predictor of what will happen in SPA.
And if RBR or Renault should win then the "system" obviously doesn´t work and 2012 season is indeed unpredictable.
You're trying to claim that all imperfect systems are useless? Better not go outside tomorrow then, the weather forecast might be wrong, and you might get hit by lightning, or 1 foot hail stones.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Sheesh, get over it you guys....
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Nando
Nando

beelsebob wrote:
Nando wrote:
beelsebob wrote:That predictions might be wrong? Wow, shocking. I'm sure we'll all be stunned by that revelation :o
You're trying to claim that all imperfect systems are useless? Better not go outside tomorrow then, the weather forecast might be wrong, and you might get hit by lightning, or 1 foot hail stones.
No not really. I don´t mean to hate on your parade here but you just seemed like you had a system.
I disagree on how usable the system is. I think it´s guess work at best. If it really worked you would be rich by now.
Besides, weather is far more predictable then what F1 2012 is.
Had your system been as good as the weather system you would be able to predict the laptimes the guys would set.

Funny how it turned into this.. either way it will be interesting to see if your system works or not.
You have a 50% chance by booking Ferrari and Mclaren for the win though.