What are FIAs CFD regulation (limitations)?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
erikejw

What are FIAs CFD regulation (limitations)?

What are the limitations FIA has put in place to prevent too much CFD computations by teams?
I cannot find the regulations anywhere.

If anyone have the exact wording of the rules(directive) I'd appreciate it alot.
If you know the rough details, that would be a good start.
I got some ideas ;)

Thanks for this fantastic forum that so many knowledgeable persons contribute too.

/Erik

Richard

Re: What are FIAs CFD regulation (limitations)?

AFAIK - It is something from the Resource Restriction Agreement (RRA) agreed by FOTA. That's a voluntary code and is not published.

superdread

I read somewhere that they limit their computation power to 40 teraflops average with (I would guess) LINPACK measuring and single precision.

There is also a limit to data storage but I don't know how much.

Kiril Varbanov

Found something old (circa 2007):
The new measures will limit teams to using just one wind tunnel, with teams only permitted to carry out 15 runs over the course of an eight-hour day. Weekend wind-tunnel testing has also been banned, and FIA is also expected to introduce limitations to prevent teams from diverting wind-tunnel resources into CFD.

Upcoming restrictions are also expected to be related to rig testing, design and manufacturing, suspension and brakes, hydraulic systems, bodywork, weight distribution, circuit testing, and the number of personnel at races.

Flomerics, a provider of virtual prototyping and CAE software, has responded by stating that these restrictions might increase the use of more efficient CFD tools that automate the modeling process.

"We believe that the FIA's limitation on CFD and wind-tunnel testing will accelerate the trend towards use of CFD tools that accomplish more in less time by integrating simulation with the design process," said John Parry, Research Manager, Flomerics.
More from the same article:
The planned aerodynamic testing restrictions in full:
- Teams to use no more than one wind tunnel.
- Test fluid to be air at atmospheric pressure.
- Maximum test section wind speed 50m/sec.
- Maximum model scale 60 percent.
- No more than one model to be tested during a run.
- Maximum usage to be equivalent to 15 runs per eight-hour day on five days per week for team F1 purposes. Tunnel may be contracted out at other times.
- Aerodynamic testing may only take place in wind tunnels if at reduced scale or at FIA approved test tracks if full scale. Full size testing to be subject to the F1 testing agreement.
- Full scale specific aerodynamic testing is to be reduced to 5 days per year.
- Restrictions will be imposed to stop shift of resource from wind tunnel testing to CFD.
- The number of people involved in CFD development will be limited to a number to be agreed.
- CFD computer systems will be characterised in order to set hardware performance limits but growth will be allowed year-on-year to allow for hardware / software development.
Information from DALCO, the vendor which equips Sauber ever since BMW era:
The system, based on Intel Technology with a total weight of 21 Tons, was already one of the most powerful supercomputers in Formula 1 when it was launched. Albert 2 featured 256 compute nodes, each with two Intel Xeon 5160 dualcore processors, which gave a total of 1024 processor cores. The capacity of the main memory was 2048 GBytes and the maximum compute power was 12,28 TFlops (12.288 GFlops). An extension of 32 more compute nodes to a total of 288 nodes or 1.152 processor cores was added soon afterwards.

Now, BMW Sauber F1 Team has launched the next step by extending the existing system. A further 384 nodes, equipped with Intel Xeon E5472 quadcore processors (four cores per processor) and related Intel technology where added to the existing system so that the new supercomputer, Albert3, now has 4224 cores. The main memory grew to 8448 GBytes and the peak compute power is now at 57,7 TFlops, that's 50,700,000,000,000 arithmetic operations per second.
In general, the details are hidden in RRA, as far as I could collect from different sources.