tyres

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jaslfc
jaslfc

tyres

Ever since kimi's crash there seem to brought up a discussion of the safety of using one set of tyres for the race distance. If they thinkin of cost savings, why cant they allow changing of tyres but only limit the amounts of tyres per team . Already each team bying different sets of tyres.. why cant the fia allow them tyre change but only can use the tyres that has been allocated to them at the beginning of the gp. SO a team may have to use a softer compound in 1 stint and maybe a harder compound in the other pit stop because they are only given a certain number of tyres.. I think this wont increase cost!!

bcsolutions

I think the 1 tyre rule is great for F1. The tyres are an integral part of the car and like all the other components on the car it should be up to the drivers and constructors to look after them. The teams get to choose the tyre compunds that they race with, if it turns out that they made the wrong decision and picked too soft a tyre then its should be down to the driver to nurse them to the end. Kimi's tyre on Sunday was obviously dangerous, but you wouldn't expect McLaren to bring their car in on the last lap when it's leading the race. If anything he should have been black flagged for being dangerous!

Mac Man
Mac Man

I agree. the tires are the interaction between the track and the chassis--also the most likely part to have direct impact between the track nd the road. Just as last years competition to develop traction, this year they must find durablility. this will eventually trickle down to us little people.

BTW any form of ?new qulalifying? is for the dogs---one hour twelve laps and pure limit is the way!!!

D-Rock, rockin . . .
"Hold tight--I feel a crash comin' on."--Rich Keen
"Lead, Follow or get off the damn porch!"--Dale Earnhardt
You'll note the topless lady on the tails. That means these skis are for the tits days, and the tits days only.

johny

if your car isn't safe you always can change your tyres, you lose 20secs but is better than had an accident, those are the rules and have bring back some exciting race to f1, the limit between the safe and unsafe must be known by teams, if kimi had go into pits to change the tyre he probably had finished 2, and don't say that he can't go in on the last lap, he had that flatspot earlier and almost everybody known that he'll have problems. In monaco a track more dangerous that nurburg they didn't say nothing about tyres, why? because theirs worked perfectly

bcsolutions

A flat spot doesn't necessarily constitute a damaged tyre though does it. The problem was that Kimi flat spotted his tyre early in the race and instead of slowing and nursing the tyre he drove hard and the situation got worse. You can't rely on the teams to make a judgement on the condition of the tyres with regard to safety. They like everyone else can only roughly speculate as to what will happen. On any other day Kimi may have made it to the end. Winning is the only thing they are worried about, as they proved on Sunday. If it was felt that the car posed a danger to the crowd, other racers, marshalls etc then he should have been black flagged. It is the team and drivers responsibility to take care of their tyres but it is the marshalls responsibility to ensure the safety of the race. At Monaco McLaren got it right, Renault got it wrong, but the Renault tyres didn't appear dangerous like Kimi's. IMO if the teams make a mistake and select the wrong compound the drivers must drive to the tyres condition and make them last until the end of the race.

johny

yea i agree, that's the team who decide if change or not, don't know what they say to kimi in radio, but if they say push he'll push to his limits. since they attach the tyres to the car the risk has drop a lot and i think only a few people thought about a suspension break

bcsolutions

Yeah your right, although the tyre was the cause of the problem it was the suspension that failed and that is definately the teams responsibility. Judging from the direction the wheel was travelling when it left the car Kimi owes his life to the wheel tethers, scary.

onepercent
onepercent

Drivers will almost always er against safety if they have a real chance at winning a race, history is the proof. If it is left to FIA officials to decide when to pull a car in because of a saftey issue created by a bad tire on a car their would be no end to the sqaubles created in the wake of such a decision. The one tire rule forces teams and drivers to compromise safety.

johny

it'll be so subjetive to leave that issue to marshals, they could see a tyre damaged but they don't know how really the driver feels, who undriveable it's and what are the probabillities of having an accident, so teams are the ones who take the risk, and mainly the driver, if he really couldn't manage the car he could always ask to a tyre change. marshals are there as referees not for investigate which tyre could blow or which one is ok

bcsolutions

The one tire rule forces teams and drivers to compromise safety.
I disagree, they are not forced into it, it's a decision that the teams make. There need to be stricter regulations on tyre condition, something that can be measured. Teams that fail to keep their tyres in good condition should be penalised.

Steven
Owner

bcsolutions wrote:I disagree, they are not forced into it, it's a decision that the teams make. There need to be stricter regulations on tyre condition, something that can be measured. Teams that fail to keep their tyres in good condition should be penalised.
They are being penalised as is as they lose very much performance towards the end of the race and lose it therefore.
I really don't like bringing up rules for whatever crash or mistake one makes, and I have said earlier that I would simplify and clarify the FIA regulations to attract new teams to the business.

bcsolutions

Yes your right Tomba, they are being penalised and thats my point, its great for us spectators.

uzael
uzael

I'm personally beginning to think that it would be better to ban refueling along with the existing ban on tire changing. Make it a true 300km race with no room for strange and ultimately mindless pit strategy. Want to be first place? Pass the leader!
"I'll bring us through this. As always. I'll carry you - kicking and screaming - and in the end you'll thank me. "

bcsolutions

:D With you on that one.

Frogger
Frogger

I think F1 is good with this 'one set of tyres for the race' rule. It rewards driver skill in looking after the set of tyres as well as good design on the part of the tyre manufacturers. And ultimately, it reduces cost too.

In Kimi's case, it was the suspension which failed, as a result of the flatspot of the tyre. But the tyre itself was not 'damaged' as such so would he have been allowed to change it? Perhaps teams should consider strengthening the design of suspension components in view of the flat spot problem.

And lastly, fuel strategy is what makes so many races interesting, with the need to compromise between a longer first stint and a higher starting grid position. Barrichello and Schumacher, both in Ferrari's, used different strategies in Nurburgring landing mixed results for the team.
R [= O B]