2012 Italian Grand Prix - Monza

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: 2012 Italian Grand Prix - Monza

Excellent, whiting's quote there is just what I wanted to hear, it indicates that they've clarified the overtaking rules to be entirely sane now. If another car is beside you, even a little, you can't cut their nose off. Interestingly, this would make every crash Hamilton was involved in last year, except for Kobayashi in Spa, and Massa in Japan be the other driver's fault. Interestingly, that would include Massa at the hairpin in Monaco... I'm not sure that's entirely justifiable.

Cuky

beelsebob wrote:nterestingly, this would make every crash Hamilton was involved in last year, except for Kobayashi in Spa, and Massa in Japan be the other driver's fault. Interestingly, that would include Massa at the hairpin in Monaco... I'm not sure that's entirely justifiable.
Not really. CW said:
"any driver defending his position on a straight and before any braking area may use the full width of the track during his first move provided no significant portion of the car attempting to pass is alongside his. Whilst defending in this way the driver may not leave the track without justifiable reason."

FrukostScones

so was the Vettel penalty justified then?

edit: ah it was forcing off track.... and it was in a curve... whatever, I will burn my Mild Seven fleece jacket!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

zyphro
zyphro

Curva Grande.

Hmm....

FrukostScones

zyphro wrote:Curva Grande.

Hmm....
Hoho.... no we get banned.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

nacho
nacho

In my opinion Vettel's line to that corner was completely normal. If you check Hamilton's pole lap, he goes exactly the same way.

It would be very easy to pass if every time someone puts their front wing past the rear wheel the driver ahead (who probably can't tell for sure where the front wing is) will have abort his normal driving line and make space for the driver behind.

zyphro
zyphro

nacho wrote:In my opinion Vettel's line to that corner was completely normal. If you check Hamilton's pole lap, he goes exactly the same way.

It would be very easy to pass if every time someone puts their front wing past the rear wheel the driver ahead (who probably can't tell for sure where the front wing is) will have abort his normal driving line and make space for the driver behind.
I agree. One has to ask themselves: was Alonso correct to go for a gap that was seemingly ever closing? I think not, especially when you consider he held the natural line. Alonso could've waited for a better opportunity; he over-taking Vettel was going to be inevitable.

Unfair penalty IMO.

zyphro
zyphro

Also this:

:roll: =D>

Redragon

zyphro wrote:
nacho wrote:In my opinion Vettel's line to that corner was completely normal. If you check Hamilton's pole lap, he goes exactly the same way.

I agree. One has to ask themselves: was Alonso correct to go for a gap that was seemingly ever closing? I think not, especially when you consider he held the natural line. Alonso could've waited for a better opportunity; he over-taking Vettel was going to be inevitable.

Unfair penalty IMO.
Well, I see inversely, Vettel was too slow on the entrance of the curve. Alonso avoid the crash on his back going on the left. He could have gone in but he reacted to go out. Vettel knew all the time Alonso was there. So I agree Alonso was found himself on trouble but after avoiding the back of Vettel. Vettel knew from the beginning he screwed on the entrance and Alonso was out. He could have let him slightly a bit more space but he decided not as the telemetry shows.

Fair penalty.

zyphro
zyphro

Redragon wrote:
zyphro wrote:

Unfair penalty IMO.
Well, I see inversely, Vettel was too slow on the entrance of the curve. Alonso avoid the crash on his back going on the left. He could have gone in but he reacted to go out. Vettel knew all the time Alonso was there. So I agree Alonso was found himself on trouble but after avoiding the back of Vettel. Vettel knew from the beginning he screwed on the entrance and Alonso was out. He could have let him slightly a bit more space but he decided not as the telemetry shows.

Fair penalty.
Care to explain why the incident involving the photo above, was not investigated? Come on, there's obviously something going wrong here. Far too obvious.

Redragon

zyphro wrote:Also this:

Now the big question is, why they applied drive through to Vettel and no Alonso for this one?

Both should have been penalized at the end. Maybe the fact it was the first turns is the answer as we know always at the beginning finished a car on the grass as it is tight and nonone wants to lose a position

Redragon

Redragon wrote:
zyphro wrote:Also this:

Now the big question is, why they applied drive through to Vettel and no Alonso for this one?

Both should have been penalized at the end. Maybe the fact it was the first turns is the answer as we know always at the beginning finished a car on the grass as it is tight and nonone wants to lose a position

Checked the video from the start. The difference between both incidents is Vettel screwed up on the entrance of the turn. From the start Alonso is ahead of Diresta and does not mistakes, so is Diresta who decide to pass him on the outside. On Vettel-Alonso, Alonso avoids Vettel as he is too slow and found himself on trouble avoiding the crash

Chuckjr

Does anyone have pictures/spacific details of what exactly was damaged on FA's car from the Vettle insident? I'm curious how much he was limited by the damage of his chassis thereafter.
Watching F1 since 1986.

myurr
myurr

Redragon wrote:Checked the video from the start. The difference between both incidents is Vettel screwed up on the entrance of the turn. From the start Alonso is ahead of Diresta and does not mistakes, so is Diresta who decide to pass him on the outside. On Vettel-Alonso, Alonso avoids Vettel as he is too slow and found himself on trouble avoiding the crash
Could you kindly point out what that has to do with the rules or the reasons given for Vettel's penalty?

raymondu999

Chuckjr wrote:Does anyone have pictures/spacific details of what exactly was damaged on FA's car from the Vettle insident? I'm curious how much he was limited by the damage of his chassis thereafter.
@InsideFerrari say Alonso suffered a broken rear damper, a hole in his floor, and a lost diffuser part after the incident with Vettel.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法