Getting Started...

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Amireles
Amireles

Getting Started...

So recently I read somewhere that in average it takes around 7 years to master something. I am looking for something new to do, maybe not to master, and I see all you guys here making amazing 3D models of racing cars and then analyzing them and developing them all from the computer. So I decided I want to do this, but I need to start somewhere.

So I am hoping you guys can help me get started with software and resources where I can learn to sketch, model and create these amazing models. As a software engineer I prefer Open Source software, however I can afford high-end software as well if its better. So what do you guys use for your projects and where can I learn more about them?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: Getting Started...

As with many things, the end requirements dictate the tools and means. What specifically do you want to "analyze" or learn about? Aerodynamics? Mechanical (or electro-mechanical) design? Vehicle dynamics? Can easily take 5-7 years to come anywhere close to "mastery" of any of those fields. How realistic or accurate a solution do you want?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

astracrazy
astracrazy

Most of us i think use Google Sketchup up, is free + there are some good plug ins to help with different things. When i get home i can give you a list of what i've got

Kerkythea renderer to render our models - look at Nicks 2013 for what you can do with Skethup and Kerkythea.

OpenFOAM's good apparently to run cfd test on your models. You need to add Linux to you machine, you can use a virtual window to run on windows. Its open source. I've never had much luck with it though, so i use solidworks.

As you can see you can quiet easily (in terms of set-up) to get some programs for free so you can create and run cfd on 3d models. Learning how to use them is something else though although sketchup is pretty simple

Reading this forum i've learnt a lot in terms of aerodynamics. I've also learnt to start off with simple designs and add small improvements. I'm working on a rear wing at the moment, i started off with a wing like nicks and add small changes each time, take screenshots and compare. I've had better results than i ever have! + Ask for help. People here are great and not only helping but giving great explinations

Amireles
Amireles

I realize that my query was very broad, but so is my interest. I dont expect to master or professionally work on this, as I said, this would be sort of a hobby. I would say that Vehicle Design and Dynamics are my main interest for now.

Thanks astacrazy for the response, this is exactly what I needed to be pointed in the right direction.

Does anyone know any resources like magazines, websites such as these where I can learn more about race car design and dynamics?

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

There's a periodical "Racecar Engineering" which is OK. Carroll Smith's "...to Win" series (Prepare to Win, Tune to Win, Engineer to Win) are a good start as well. Then there are a number of vehicle dynamics texts such as Race Car Vehicle Dynamics by Milliken. Ton of SAE papers you can buy.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

N12ck

Amireles wrote:I realize that my query was very broad, but so is my interest. I dont expect to master or professionally work on this, as I said, this would be sort of a hobby. I would say that Vehicle Design and Dynamics are my main interest for now.

Thanks astacrazy for the response, this is exactly what I needed to be pointed in the right direction.

Does anyone know any resources like magazines, websites such as these where I can learn more about race car design and dynamics?
Hi, is it the aerodynamics or the chassis/suspension design you are more interested in?
Budding F1 Engineer

Amireles
Amireles

At the moment I would like to start with Aerodynamics. Wouldnt rule out chassis/suspension later on. But definitely aero is my main interest At the moment.

N12ck

Amireles wrote:At the moment I would like to start with Aerodynamics. Wouldnt rule out chassis/suspension later on. But definitely aero is my main interest At the moment.
take a look at the F1 Modelling CFD Challenge thread, there is a competition for beginners all the way to experienced modellers, and you can get an f1 tub + rules supplied in CAD if you join the challenge.
Budding F1 Engineer

Amireles
Amireles

Since I am starting from level 0 I am a bit apprehensive about a competition, but I will take a look at it. Thanks everyone though. I started fooling around Sketchup yesterday and got a feel for it, will try to start learning about it asap.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Might be worth learning something about aerodynamics and/or airfoils in general before throwing things together in some CAD program

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Katz "Race car aerodynamics". Understand this and you will be well on the way to a good start in aero. Pretty color plots from somebody else's program? Well, you might be lucky, you may find that you can learn from observation of your experiments, after all that is how science used to be done. But it is likely that it will take longer than you really need (Hooke's piece de resistance was the spring law, F=k*d, how many years did that take?)

Amireles
Amireles

Thanks all for the info. I am now going through the Sketchup tutorials first it is amazingly easy so far. I am probably joining the competition even if I am a complete newbie.

Found this website which I am devouring at the moment: http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/

Will get the book as well.

Again thanks, hopefully I can show something soon.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Still, do you actually want to learn something.. or are you more interested in just making some stuff in CAD?

N12ck

Jersey Tom wrote:Still, do you actually want to learn something.. or are you more interested in just making some stuff in CAD?
Yes it is best to learn the basics first before attempting a CAD model (I did), although in the competition you can learn from CFD data you get given from changes you make, so it will allow you to learn further
Budding F1 Engineer

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

If you are starting from level 0, I would suggest picking up a "Fluid Dynamics" or "Aerodynamics" for beginners type book.

This will help you get a better understanding of the "why" in addition to the "what".

Case in point: understanding what the gurney flap does and why.