Please refrain from using nicknames as much as possible

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
SeijaKessen

Please refrain from using nicknames as much as possible

Tomba wrote:Guys,
- Please cut down on the nicknames will you? I fail to see how that adds anything to any post...
- Also please post Schumacher / Hamilton contract stuff to the silly season when appropriate.

Thanks
Lighten up a little bit...laugh..it's good for the soul they tell me.

FoxHound

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 Team 2012

SeijaKessen wrote:Lighten up a little bit...laugh..it's good for the soul they tell me.
You miss Tomba's point by light years. Referring to them by your given nicknames once or twice is funny, after that it becomes silly. Kinda obstructs constructive debate too. Look at the last 10 pages and you'll see my point.
JET set

SeijaKessen

FoxHound wrote:
SeijaKessen wrote:Lighten up a little bit...laugh..it's good for the soul they tell me.
You miss Tomba's point by light years. Referring to them by your given nicknames once or twice is funny, after that it becomes silly. Kinda obstructs constructive debate too. Look at the last 10 pages and you'll see my point.
Foxhound, there is still constructive debate.

Were you able to read a little more in depth, you might see there are some rather deep points being made.

"It is like a finger pointing away to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory." -Bruce Lee

xpensive

I believe nicknames serves another purpose, judicial-wise, I know this fine forum has been threatened by lawsuits in the past, a nick like "the Hutt" effectively removes the risk of that, or at least makes it less obvious?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

FoxHound

I see what you are both saying, but this is an internet forum, not a publication. Litigation cannot occur unless the proprietors of this website have written whatever it is that was deemed litigable.
If a member writes it, then they are entitled to that within remit. Pseudonyms hide nothing as they refer to the people involved.
The point Tomba makes is that this thread seems to go from serious discussion 1 moment, to cartoonish the next. I dont want to put words in his mouth, so I'm sure he can reply.
But he does have a point.
JET set

zyphro

xpensive wrote:I know this fine forum has been threatened by lawsuits in the past
Woah, since when?

zyphro

FoxHound wrote: The point Tomba makes is that this thread seems to go from serious discussion 1 moment, to cartoonish the next. I dont want to put words in his mouth, so I'm sure he can reply.
I don't really find it 'cartoonish' it adds an extra element into the discussion.

FoxHound

zyphro wrote:
FoxHound wrote: The point Tomba makes is that this thread seems to go from serious discussion 1 moment, to cartoonish the next. I dont want to put words in his mouth, so I'm sure he can reply.
I don't really find it 'cartoonish' it adds an extra element into the discussion.
Care to elaborate?
JET set

Dragonfly

I am afraid the thread will be locked if you, guys, continue this way.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

bhall

F1 is a game, and talking about it with a stick up one's ass defeats the whole purpose. Of course, that's merely my (admittedly not so humble) opinion.

xpensive

FoxHound wrote:I see what you are both saying, but this is an internet forum, not a publication. Litigation cannot occur unless the proprietors of this website have written whatever it is that was deemed litigable.
That's good to know, goodbye MrM and hello Max Mosley! As for the "cartoonish" image of this thread, I still believe it's far more serious than the hysterical fanboy-threads that can go on forever, something that also sadly found it's way into here.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

FoxHound

bhallg2k wrote:F1 is a game, and talking about it with a stick up one's ass defeats the whole purpose. Of course, that's merely my (admittedly not so humble) opinion.
That's taking it to the absolute extreme once again. What's wrong with balanced discussion? Maybe all the team threads should just be locked if cartoonish conjecture is the only outcome? Maybe that's what the Mods are getting at?
Seems it affects only certain threads too, which is frequented by a small minority that post numerously.
I've said my piece so let's just chat about the weather or maybe, just maybe Mercedes F1 team in 2012?
JET set

Steven
Owner

Re: Please refrain from using nicknames as much as possible

- First of all, this earned SeijjaKeissen a third warning, so he's out for a week. It was a kind request and I have not deleted or modified any posts in this respect (except for one, in which case the poster was PM'ed). People who have been here long enough know that there have been requests by both richard_leeds and mx_tifoso to tone down on the nicknames.

- Team threads are not for comedy. It is acceptable to some extent, but the MercedesAMG thread is ridiculous in this aspect and has driven away all fans. Some posts were hence moved to the famous off-topic thread.

- Finally, we have indeed been threatened several times, but that should not grant the use of nicknames. It really had nothing to do with that.

donskar

This site was once a fun place to visit and discuss a wide range of topics related to F1. It was free wheeling, vibrant, full of give and take. Now, it seems stiff and sterile. Sad.
Last edited by donskar on 18 Sep 2012, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

adam2003

What do you mean? like people calling mclaren "macca" annoys me