BMW buys Sauber

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
uzael
uzael

BMW buys Sauber

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns15085.html

BMW has decided that williams just can't make it work and is going to buy Sauber oif the course of three years.

Looks like Williams will be working out a deal for Toyta engines, which will be very intersting to see if the works toyota team is beaten by the 'customer' williams squad.
"I'll bring us through this. As always. I'll carry you - kicking and screaming - and in the end you'll thank me. "

jaslfc
jaslfc

now with this news .. do u think button will still go to williams.. and what will happen to massa(ferrari prodigy) and jv

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

When Button attempted to jump ship and join Williams, BAR seemed the inferior car. But presently, BAR seems to have the better package than Williams. So Button may stay with BAR. But then again, do Williams now have any legal claim to Button?
A few years ago Honda was being courted by both BAR and Jordan. BAR did better than Jordan, they got full support from Honda, and now look wher ethey are today. I think we are seeing the sam ekind of scenario, where one engine manufacturer has two completely different teams, with similar engines. It's sort of ironic, a tactic Sir Frank uses a lot.. having drivers compete for one job. Now he's going to be competing with Sauber, notwithstanding Williams get a different engine package.
If I was an executive within BMW. I would make every attempt to secure Heidfeld. He's had a spectacular year, and proven he can reliably run at the front. And being German, it's a natural BMW would want him.
JV? I am a fan of his, but he better shut his mouth and start producing. I don't see a future for him in F1 past this season.

jaslfc
jaslfc

jv seems to be outpacing massa.. dont know if it is just in practice with different setup but MAYBE he finally has some motivation.. now bmw coming in ... they may give him a competitive seat(only if he keeps the seat for next year)

Well...we all know that JV has a 2 year deal with Sauber. Perhaps BMW will try to buy him out. However, I doubt JV will agree to that especially when he considers money not a motivator; a good car and team is what he wants.
In all else, if BMW buys out Sauber and holds majority shares, does that mean JVs contract is liable to void?

wrk

guys, is it only the car manufacture's, honda, toyota, ford, bmw and ferrari that can build engine's??

would the cost of design, build and run an inhouse engine be out of the reach of even williams?

wayne.
gentlemen start your engines......

manchild
manchild

wrk wrote:...would the cost of design, build and run an inhouse engine be out of the reach of even williams?
Absolutely

1. Honda is out of the question because of how they insulted Sir Frank when he became disabled back in the ‘80s (they’ve quit the deal with him saying something like - “disabled person will not run team supplied with our engines”)!!!

2. I think that it will be Cosworth for Williams in 2006, especially since RBR will switch to Ferrari engines.

3.It is possible but more likely for 2007 or onwards that PSA will enter F1 since both Peugeot and Citroen are leaving WRC after the ending of 2005 season.

4. V.A.G. has been showing some signs of F1 ambitions and it could be possible that Audi enters F1 in near future.
Last edited by manchild on 08 Jul 2005, 13:59, edited 2 times in total.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I believe JV's tight two year contract with Sauber has to be honored. I'm not a lawyer, but contractual obligations have to be honored if a company changes ownership. If that wasn't true, then companies would just change ownerships (under dummy owners) to avoid previous comittments.
But then again, there is no guarantee JV will be able to take the grid on race day, he could easily be relegated to a test driver, or something.

DaveKillens wrote:I believe JV's tight two year contract with Sauber has to be honored. I'm not a lawyer, but contractual obligations have to be honored if a company changes ownership. If that wasn't true, then companies would just change ownerships (under dummy owners) to avoid previous comittments.\
But then again, there is no guarantee JV will be able to take the grid on race day, he could easily be relegated to a test driver, or something.

true - but i've also heard of driver contracts that not only include the team chassis designers but also engine supplier. So, if for eg JVs contract details a 2 year deal with Sauber and Ferrari engines, maybe BMW will somehow make his contract void. I hope not. JV is sucking ('cept Magny) but he's still good for the grid. Go Newtown!!!

fwa2500

audi in F1 again (kind-of anyway) would be interesting........same if all this switching around does happen....

Grated
Grated

Mercedes - BMW - VW/Audi ... Hmz, The germans are taking over F1? :lol:

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Honda, Toyota, same could be expressed for the Japanese. Maybe it's more an indication of who the big players in the auto industry are.

wrk

grated,
one german has for the last 6 years.....lol.

wayne.
gentlemen start your engines......