Ban on Electronics

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
spiderzig
spiderzig

Ban on Electronics

I am confused :? I was under the impression that Traction,Launch, and antilock braking control, was to be banned from Silverstone on.
What are the facts? Do we have to endure another season of this. We have started the season so well with the new regs, and the powers that be. (eg The BIG boys) seem to be sending us down the road of ever increasing costs. While I can appreciate the argument that it would be expensive to alter the cars to run without aids. How much will they spend on technology before the ban starts. If the sums involved are the same. What is the problem.
Even out the pitch for F1 sake.
Keep the faith
spiderzig

Steven
Owner

as far as I know these changes from the English Grand Prix on keep on schedule, with both traction control and automatic gearboxes to be banned.
From what is concerned braking antilock systems (ABS), these systems have never been allowed in Formula one, luckily!
I really hope that Silverstone will mean the end of launch control in particular, as starts are much more interesting for both driver and fan. It was only a problem of controllling by the FIA that made it an allowed 'toy'. However, next season will mean the introduction of a 'control box' which must detect any special events happening in any system on a car, instead of reverse engineering all the traction control software.

Then about telemetry to close ... I hope they do not forbid that, imho, it is enough to prevent actions to be made from the pitlane out to the car. I really think forbidding radio signals between car and pitlane would drastically decrease safety on the track (as does the 1 raintyre rule at the moment :? )

spiderzig
spiderzig

Ban on electronics

An apology first, sorry "tomba",I did not mean to include ALB in my diatribe, it was a slip of the brain!It is launch control, and traction control I find abhorrent, along with the ability to adjust engine management from the pits. I have no objection to telemetry being available to the technicians in the pits, but when these people who are not driving the cars can alter the timing mixture etc, well who the hell is driving the damn cars!!! Also, on another pet hate of mine.(I maybe shot down on this point) give us back gearboxes and clutches. A good driver will be able to demonstrate his ability and sympathy with the machine, rather than having the opportunity to hammer the car into the ground, and know that the electronics will save the clutch and gearbox.
As a postscript, I agree totally with you on the question of rain tyres.
Keep the faith
spiderzig

These changes have been postponed until the start of the 2004 season. Anyway I don't think semiautomatic gearboxes should be banned.